Windows 10: Experienced filesystem corruption. Could adding RAM be the cause?

Discus and support Experienced filesystem corruption. Could adding RAM be the cause? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; All of a sudden I could not boot up my MSI Titan GT80 SLI. The event that happened right before that, I installed RAM, an 8GB DIMM. I powered off the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by dictum, Sep 28, 2019.

1. dictum Win User

Experienced filesystem corruption. Could adding RAM be the cause?

All of a sudden I could not boot up my MSI Titan GT80 SLI.

The event that happened right before that, I installed RAM, an 8GB DIMM. I powered off the box, inserted the DIMM, powered it back on and it bootlooped. Hit the BCD entry, tried to hit the disk via the BIOS and never booted.

I have the dual boot setup, clone primary win10 onto clone win10 disk. Both SSD. I've used that scheme for years with success. So I tried to boot off the clone disk, also to no avail. Apparently I didn't create the bcdboot entry for it. So that was just a minor oversight.

I booted off flash drive that had the the Windows rescue disk off this forum and looked around. Primary disk looked like it was cleaned out somehow, said 800GB free. Weird. I tried to access C: via Explorer and it said "Do you want to format it?". The filesystem was just gone. I never did anything to it, the only other thing I did before the crash was run Macrium Reflect to clone the primary disk. I then ran EasyBCD to create a boot entry for the clone disk and something went wrong somewhere. It did work for a while, had its filesystem right until the time I started messing with the RAM. RAM install was apparently the pivotal event, or just a coincidence. However the filesystem on the primary disk *was* there before I ran the shutdown command and was *not* there after I installed RAM and tried to boot the machine.

Anyway I removed the cleaned-out primary SSD, installed the clone SSD and booted off Windows rescue flash off this forum and was relieved to see that the clone disk was OK just its BCD stuff was missing. I ran bcdboot, fixed it and booted off the clone disk.

Then I installed the primary disk and ran Macrium Reflect to clone from the good clone disk to the bad (formerly) primary disk and then either disk became bootable again.

The question that I still have is what caused the serious filesystem corruption on the primary disk? I ran the Win recovery boot program and ran its partition manager tool and it didn't see any partitions at all on the primary disk. As if someone wiped it out with diskpart. I know I didn't ran that. Or anything like that.

so the question:

could me installing the 8GB DIMM have caused a power surge - the laptop was down but the machine was plugged to the power outlet. My SATA III drives, one containing Linux and the other SATA that was just a data disk was not affected. So the power surge theory seems unlikely. Especially in light of the fact the mirror disk was not touched, just the primary PCIe disk. I have 4 disks in the machine, 3 of them were not affected.

I know this question is impossible to answer especially after I overwrote everything on it with the info from the clone.

:)

dictum, Sep 28, 2019

2. 6220 classic: Taking pictures corrupts card's filesystem

No, that cannot be the case as it is an "just files" backup, not an image of the entire filesystem. The files are not corrupted - the filesystem is.

kabelgleichung, Sep 28, 2019
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    windows media player rich preview handler displays in wrong Place (And in Task bar) after April update

Hi,

There are various reasons why you're experiencing the issue. We suggest that you follow the steps provided by
    Romel Ram so that we can find out if the issue is caused by a corrupted system file or caused by a third party program.

After following the steps provided by Romel Ram, kindly share with us the results.

Argel Obm, Sep 28, 2019
  4. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Sep 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Experienced filesystem corruption. Could adding RAM be the cause? - Similar Threads - Experienced filesystem corruption

2. RAM memory corruption?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RAM memory corruption?: Hi,I recently bought a second-hand PC and while gaming I am getting repeated various BSOD crashes which I believe are down to corrupted RAM or drivers, but I can't identify the problematic files beyond that. I have tried physically dismounting and remounting the RAM and am...
  3. RAM memory corruption?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAM memory corruption?: Hi,I recently bought a second-hand PC and while gaming I am getting repeated various BSOD crashes which I believe are down to corrupted RAM or drivers, but I can't identify the problematic files beyond that. I have tried physically dismounting and remounting the RAM and am...
  4. Corrupted Drivers/Ram?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupted Drivers/Ram?: I had a power outage a little over a week ago and since then, my computer has been crashing with “Memory_Management” “irql_not_less_or_equal” “System_Service_Exception” and “PFN_List_Corrupt” I have probably read over 100 articles and tried SFC scan and DISM scan. Both in...
  5. Corrupted Drivers/Ram?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupted Drivers/Ram?: I had a power outage a little over a week ago and since then, my computer has been crashing with “Memory_Management” “irql_not_less_or_equal” “System_Service_Exception” and “PFN_List_Corrupt” I have probably read over 100 articles and tried SFC scan and DISM scan. Both in...
  6. What could cause Edge to consume RAM x2 of Google's Chrome

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What could cause Edge to consume RAM x2 of Google's Chrome: My family had an old PC and has only 4GB of RAM. I tried to do an experiment to optimize usage, so I ran the same page on Chrome and Edge. Edge consumed double the amount of RAM. Chrome consumed ~700MB while Edge consumed ~1400MB with a single tab open which is weird since I...
  7. adding ram

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    adding ram: I'm not very computer literate and I'm wondering about RAM. How can I find out how much RAM I can possibly add to my laptop. It's about three years old. It's an AMD A9-9410 Radeon R5 with 6gigs of RAM already installed. It's Windows10 64bit. Thanks for the help....
  8. Adding RAM and XMP

Adding RAM and XMP: Maybe this is better taken to a more niche forum, but I know there are some niche enthusiasts here who might be able to help me out. I've got an ASUS X99-A motherboard with 8 DIMM slots. I have a 16GB 4x4GB kit of HyperX Fury, and am thinking of buying a second, identical kit...
  9. Adding more "Ram" ?

Adding more "Ram" ?: I noticed that my laptop could handle a little more "Ram" so i ran the Crucial info tool and the screenshot shows what options i have . I have an Asus U56e laptop which i believe came with 6 gigs of Ram , would going this route improve speed even by a small amount ?...
  10. Windows 10 Upgrade - Potential Filesystem Corruption

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Upgrade - Potential Filesystem Corruption: Windows 10 is great. It genuinely feels like a step forward instantly upon first experiencing it. Windows 8.1 took me nearly a year before I could appreciate it's advancements over Windows 7. I upgraded my Surface Pro 3 on the night after Windows 10's release. I...