Windows 10: Experiencing seemingly random black screens caused by dwm.exe and/or hardware errors

Discus and support Experiencing seemingly random black screens caused by dwm.exe and/or hardware errors in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For a couple of weeks now my PC had strange behavior. I'm randomly experiencing around 1-3 blackscreens a day without any further notice of the system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by knosvoxel, Feb 4, 2021.

1. knosvoxel Win User

Experiencing seemingly random black screens caused by dwm.exe and/or hardware errors

For a couple of weeks now my PC had strange behavior. I'm randomly experiencing around 1-3 blackscreens a day without any further notice of the system failing. That is independant of how many things I am running at the time but it seemed to happen more frequently while playing games.

Since the first few times I had been experiencing those issues I had reinstalled Windows onto a new SSD as I generally had planned to do so and the problems were gone for a couple of days. Since yesterday they are back though and I have experienced a random blackscreen today and also yesterday.

What I was able to discover in the reliability log is that it seems like whenever the blackscreen occurs the Desktop Window Manager stops to work correctly. Also since setting up Windows on the new SSD those dwm errors are coupled with some hardware errors.

Example from today:

Experiencing seemingly random black screens caused by dwm.exe and/or hardware errors 45905b04-0920-4364-a501-01163398e8d2?upload=true.png

The 3 different hardware errors had the codes 117, 187 & 1a8.

My best guess is that these errors are caused by some driver update but I had tried clean installing the drivers and that did nothing.

My hardware is the following:
    GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC
    CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x
    PSU: beQuiet Straight Power 11 850W
    RAM: 32 GB HyperX Fury DDR4
    Mainboard: Asus Rog B550-F gaming

I tried to put heavy load on my CPU, RAM and GPU but in no case it caused a blackscreen. I have no idea what other logs I could check or what else I could try to do to find a solution to the problems I've been experiencing so it would be very great to know if anybody has an idea on what else I could try to do to fix this. Thank you in advance.

:)

knosvoxel, Feb 4, 2021
  2. Argel Obm Win User

Get Black Screen After Login and Message that a random Application EXE error occurred

Hi Jim,

For us to better assist you, kindly answer the following:

• When did the issue start?
    • Any changes prior to the concern?
    • Are you still experiencing the popup message about a random application error?
    • When you encounter the black screen after you sign in, can you still see your mouse pointer?
    • Are you always experiencing the black screen even after restarting the computer?
    Looking forward to your response.

Argel Obm, Feb 4, 2021
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    black screen

Hi Bart,

It is possible that you're experiencing black screen due to corrupted system files. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Are you getting any error messages?
    • What happen when you tried to login?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot black screen errors. You can choose which situation you're experiencing the error and perform the instructions.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Feb 4, 2021
  4. Experiencing seemingly random black screens caused by dwm.exe and/or hardware errors

Black screen error

Hello,

There are several reasons why you are facing a black screen issue. One of these is due to outdated or incorrect device drivers. For us to figure out what's causing this, provide more details by answering the listed questions:

• Can you confirm to us if you are using a laptop or a computer?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • What exactly were you doing when the error occurred?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this? If yes, specify all of the steps that you have done.

As an initial part of troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps given on this article:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors
    . This will help you diagnose and rectify most of the known black screen concerns.

We will wait for your response.

Dhavelyn Mer, Feb 4, 2021
Thema:

Experiencing seemingly random black screens caused by dwm.exe and/or hardware errors

1. Experiencing seemingly random black screens caused by dwm.exe and/or hardware errors - Similar Threads - Experiencing seemingly random

2. Black Screen - Hardware error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Screen - Hardware error: System : Windows 112CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XTRI keep getting Random Blackscreens on my PC.I am currently using the AMD software to update the drivers.Each time I get a black screen there is a Hardware Error in the Reliability Monitor,...
  3. Dwm crash with black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dwm crash with black screen: Looking for assistance with DWM crash using windows 10 latest updatesSeems like most troubleshooting I could find was "Hardware" related i.e. loose power cable. this does not apply to my setup as it has been checked with no issues. I have tried all of these settings in...
  4. Dwm crash with black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dwm crash with black screen: Looking for assistance with DWM crash using windows 10 latest updatesSeems like most troubleshooting I could find was "Hardware" related i.e. loose power cable. this does not apply to my setup as it has been checked with no issues. I have tried all of these settings in...
  5. Dwm crash with black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. DWM crash and Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll Causing black screen

DWM crash and Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll Causing black screen: when i play games and so far tested it with 5 games so far and 4 out the 5 games causes the black screen in which the monitor looses signal and the only way to turn the monitor back on is to manually restart/shutdown the pc either from pressing the power button or manually on...
  7. Hardware Error// Black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hardware Error// Black screen: My computer has been blackscreening lately. It was happening frequently during games but now it's doing it outside of them as well. Reliability Monitor gave me this. Is this something fixable?SourceWindowsSummaryHardware errorDate‎10/‎7/‎2022 8:11 PMStatusNot...
  8. Hardware Error// Black screen

Hardware Error// Black screen: My computer has been blackscreening lately. It was happening frequently during games but now it's doing it outside of them as well. Reliability Monitor gave me this. Is this something fixable?SourceWindowsSummaryHardware errorDate‎10/‎7/‎2022 8:11 PMStatusNot...
  9. Hardware Error// Black screen

10. Hardware Error// Black screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dwm.exe crash black screen