Windows 10: Experiment failing

Discus and support Experiment failing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have three Win10 desktops, two Pro, one Home, and will be upgrading one of the Pro machines to Win11, so I will be upgrading its hardware in a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mark Phelps, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Experiment failing

I have three Win10 desktops, two Pro, one Home, and will be upgrading one of the Pro machines to Win11, so I will be upgrading its hardware in a few weeks. The current installs are all BIOS/MBR running Windows 10 64-bit v21H1 Build 19043.1165. Since the new setup for Win11 will need to be UEFI/GPT, I have been experimenting on converting an existing install to boot under UEFI/GPT. I am doing this experiment to see if converting an existing BIOS/MBR Windows install to UEFI/GPT could be done simply. But if I can't get this to work, then I am looking at a laborious two-day process of reinstalling and reconfiguring Windows on my Pro box when I install the new hardware. The test Pro box has an SSD with three partitions: System Reserved and two OS partitions. I cloned that to another SSD using Macrium Reflect (MR). I first rebooted the test box with the cloned SSD to confirmed it boots -- which it did without problems. I then connected the test SSD to my desktop, rebooted using an MR boot USB, ran mbr2gpt -- which completed without errors. I then swapped the SSDs in the test box, went into the BIOS and changed the boot mode to EFI and rebooted. Nothing -- no boot. So I then reconnected the test SSD to my desktop, rebooted using MR USB stick, and used the option to repair the Windows boot. That completed without errors. I then swapped the drives and again -- nothing on the test box. So, thinking I might need a UEFI MR boot stick, I grabbed one I built for a newer laptop and tried the same SSD boot repairs again. Rebooted the test box -- same result, no boot. It could also be that since the test box has Hybrid EFI boot, it simply will not boot from a GPT-formatted drive, but the motherboard manual says it will. Unfortunately, I don't have any other desktops that can be switched from BIOS to UEFI to test this. I'm not familiar with UEFI details, so unlike with BIOS, I don't know what to examine in the test SSD to fix the boot errors. I have relied on the MR boot USB to do that in the past, and that does not appear to be fixing it now. I have looked at the SSD and confirmed that it is formatted GPT with a small FAT32 partition at the beginning of the drive. Is there an app I can download or a utility I can run on an MBR PC to check the validity of the boot info on the test SSD? I'm at a loss at this point.

:)

Mark Phelps, Aug 15, 2021
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Shared Experiences

Hi,

Shared Experiences allow you to start a task on one device and finish it on another, or easily set up a remote control or other companion apps on a smartphone. If you don’t want to use the feature, we suggest that you disable it. Kindly follow these steps
    below:

• Click
      Start.
    • Select
      Settings.
    • Click
      System.
    • Select the Shared experiences link on the left-hand side. Here you will see a switch that lets you toggle the Share across devices feature to the On or Off position.
    • Enable it then restart your computer.
    • Go again to Shared Experiences in Settings app, and disable it completely.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Aug 15, 2021
  3. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Aug 15, 2021
  4. chideock Win User

Experiment failing

KB4025339 Fails Install 0x80070564

Thanks
    I am trying Eagle 51's suggestions now. Windows Update troubleshooter found a bunch of errors and fixed all but one.The update is trying to download KB4025339 again. I'll see what happens. At step one troubleshooter finishes with one error unresolved "Potential Windows Update Database Error Detected-Not Fixed". Windows update stalled at 0%.

At step 2 same troubleshooter error. The KB finished a new download failed to install.
    Did step 3 KB has downloaded but fails to install.

If Eagle's suggestion doesn't work I'll try EdTittel's suggestion

Tried bothe Eagle & Ed 's suggestions - do not work. Anyone else?

I have noticed that the latest update for my nvidia drivers has failed to update. Wondering about that!

chideock, Aug 15, 2021
Thema:

Experiment failing

1. Experiment failing - Similar Threads - Experiment failing

2. New Cross Device Experience Host won't install for me...stuck on pending

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Cross Device Experience Host won't install for me...stuck on pending: There's an apparently new feature that is being rolled out by microsoft. It is a new way to connect to your phone. I can not get it to install even though the option is available on my pc. I've contacted microsoft support and instead of solving the problem, they told me to...
  3. New Cross Device Experience Host won't install for me...stuck on pending

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Cross Device Experience Host won't install for me...stuck on pending: There's an apparently new feature that is being rolled out by microsoft. It is a new way to connect to your phone. I can not get it to install even though the option is available on my pc. I've contacted microsoft support and instead of solving the problem, they told me to...
  4. I am not able to download windows web experience pack I didn't get the download option in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am not able to download windows web experience pack I didn't get the download option in...: My email is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-not-able-to-download-windows-web-experience/ba2515fb-6395-43cd-af4b-8e38b5fe74a5
  5. NVIDIA GeForce Experience failed to download drivers in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NVIDIA GeForce Experience failed to download drivers in Windows 11: The downloading of NVIDIA Graphic Driver fails every time. To be more specific it doesn't even start the process of downloading. I saw other posts suggesting downloading the GeForce Experience from NVIDIA's website, I tried it but still the same issue. Any help? Thanks....
  6. NVIDIA GeForce Experience failed to download drivers in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NVIDIA GeForce Experience failed to download drivers in Windows 11: The downloading of NVIDIA Graphic Driver fails every time. To be more specific it doesn't even start the process of downloading. I saw other posts suggesting downloading the GeForce Experience from NVIDIA's website, I tried it but still the same issue. Any help? Thanks....
  7. NVIDIA GeForce Experience or ShadowPlay failed

in Windows 10 News
    NVIDIA GeForce Experience or ShadowPlay failed: [ATTACH]You may encounter the NVIDIA GeForce Experience or ShadowPlay failed error on your Windows 11 or Windows 10 PC when you run the NVIDIA installer on your device. This post provides the most suitable solutions affected PC users can apply to easily resolve the issue....
  8. Fix NVIDIA GeForce Experience Scanning Failed error when scanning games

in Windows 10 News
    Fix NVIDIA GeForce Experience Scanning Failed error when scanning games: [IMG]Some PC users may encounter the Scanning failed error which appears when NVIDIA GeForce Experience tries to scan your Windows 11 or Windows 10 computer for installed games. This post is intended to help affected users with the most adequate solutions to fix the issue....
  9. Out-of-box Experience fail on connecting to Office 365 Business, new Windows 10 Pro laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Out-of-box Experience fail on connecting to Office 365 Business, new Windows 10 Pro laptop: Anyone ever get hung up during the new Windows computer Out-of-Box Experience, when creating a new user to connect to your Office 365 Business account? Clicking through the start screens with a brand new Win10Pro laptop HP Envy, I was presented with the choice of connecting...
  10. Microsoft Photos app frequently hanging, failing. Anyone else experience this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft Photos app frequently hanging, failing. Anyone else experience this?: Microsoft Photos app is frequently (every 2 or 3 times it opens a .jpg) hanging and failing to display the image, I close the app, blue circle spins for several seconds on the cursor, then the app resumes working, until next hang. Anyone else experiencing this? I've tried...