Windows 10: expert question for Windows 7 Anytime Update and directory junctions

Discus and support expert question for Windows 7 Anytime Update and directory junctions in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Do not ask why but i want to update win7 home premium to win 7 professional.I now the procedure. But since my PC has the OS on C and SSD and the data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MCA1963, Jul 25, 2022.

1. MCA1963 Win User

expert question for Windows 7 Anytime Update and directory junctions

Do not ask why but i want to update win7 home premium to win 7 professional.I now the procedure. But since my PC has the OS on C and SSD and the data on Dnormal HD i created directory junctions to point from c:\documents and settings to a same named folder on D. The c:\users folder is also pointing to D.This was my solution to solve the problem a decade ago. and it works fine.But since i do not know what this anytime update is actually doing with files, i fear that i get into problems. I think only MS know if this is possible.I could make a VM and try it but then i need to buy additional k

:)

MCA1963, Jul 25, 2022
  2. puma99dk| Win User

Windows 7 slipstreaming with updates question

i got all the updates for Windows 7 in "Windows Updates Downloader" using the newest list from mydigitallife.info's forum which is dated 13-16-2013, but can i use all does updates in the Danish version of Windows 7 Professional SP1-U 64bit?

bcs i wanna slipstream it with a few drives into it aswell here i am talking about Intel Ethernet and NEC/ReneSAS USB3.0 Drivers.

puma99dk|, Jul 25, 2022
  3. harrymc Win User
    7zip force ignore NTFS junctions

I would suggest to go in two steps :

1. Generate a list of all the junctions in the folder
    2. Create a 7Zip archive from the folder while excluding the files in the list.

For the first step, you may use the following command in a Command Prompt :

Where :

• /A displays all files with a specific attribute, and L specifies reparse points (symlinks and directory junctions)
    • /S makes the command recursive
    • /B specifies the bare format of only file names.

When zipping the folder use the
    -x (Exclude filenames) switch :

harrymc, Jul 25, 2022
  4. ste2425 Win User

windows 7 update from vista question

just a quick question if i update my vista install to 7 will i still have all my programmes installed or just files? And will my files be in the same directory as they are in my vista install or will 7 move them?

thanks guys

ste2425, Jul 25, 2022
Thema:

1. expert question for Windows 7 Anytime Update and directory junctions - Similar Threads - expert question Anytime

2. I have a quick question for a cyber security expert.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a quick question for a cyber security expert.: What would be the most secure configuration for Windows Defender firewall for personal use. ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-quick-question-for-a-cyber-security/3089cb3f-2629-4abe-a0c7-3d2960ab127f
  3. I have a quick question for a cyber security expert.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a quick question for a cyber security expert.: What would be the most secure configuration for Windows Defender firewall for personal use. ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-quick-question-for-a-cyber-security/3089cb3f-2629-4abe-a0c7-3d2960ab127f
  4. expert question for Windows 7 Anytime Update and directory junctions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    expert question for Windows 7 Anytime Update and directory junctions: Do not ask why but i want to update win7 home premium to win 7 professional.I now the procedure. But since my PC has the OS on C and SSD and the data on Dnormal HD i created directory junctions to point from c:\documents and settings to a same named folder on D. The c:\users...
  5. Not an expert!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not an expert!: I have a HP laptop that is connected automatically to an unknown network. The unknown net work has set up parental controls. Laptop,phones, Ruku, Xbox , everything! I need help! I already did F11 restart and found my system32 in my x drive. Needless to say it didn’t work....
  6. Secure Boot question (Expert Key Management)?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Secure Boot question (Expert Key Management)?: I want to enable Secure Boot, but there is another option under the Secure Boot menu within the UEFI firmware section that I don't know what it means and my question is, should I enable the Expert Key Management options as well when enabling Secure Boot? 101207
  7. Hard link directory junctions in User folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Hard link directory junctions in User folder: So, I am looking for an easy way to redirect Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures in the user folder to a data drive. I don't want anything permanent that is going to interfere with the Creator's update coming up. Does anyone know if there any ill affects to deleting the...
  8. Question about creating a junction before/during Windows installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about creating a junction before/during Windows installation: Hi all. My current preferred drive configuration for my desktop PC uses four drives: C: - Windows, Program Files D: - Games E: - Users directory, virtual machines F: - long-term storage, archives, media files I've been using a very simple answer file to redirect the...
  9. Junctions, Libraries for multiple drives, and search questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Junctions, Libraries for multiple drives, and search questions: My system has a secondary drive (E:, with the main Public folders on it, and I use Libraries to access it. Under Libraries\Documents, there are 2 folders: My Documents points to C:\Users\bbon\Documents, and Documents points to E:\Users\Public\Document. In the process of...
  10. Windows 10 Could Be the Real Windows 7 Successor, Expert..

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Could Be the Real Windows 7 Successor, Expert..: It's no secret that Microsoft puts all its hopes in Windows 10 as far as its efforts on the desktop are concerned, and analysts across the world see this work as going in the right direction, especially after the disaster that Windows 8 turned out to be. Forrester...