Windows 10: explain difference in monitors

Discus and support explain difference in monitors in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a notebook that I like to use to edit photos while on vacation. The image on the monitor changes brightness and contrast, especially when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by lbeck, Dec 5, 2016.

1. lbeck Win User

explain difference in monitors

I have a notebook that I like to use to edit photos while on vacation. The image on the monitor changes brightness and contrast, especially when tilting the monitor forward or backward. So when I make hundreds of changes, most other than cropping need to be reevaluated when I get home to my desktop.

Rather than buy a new laptop, I want to buy a small external monitor that I can hook via HDMI to my laptop. Now I find that I understand little about monitors - LCD, LED etc. Device manager shows my laptop monitor as "generic PnP" whatever that is.

In short, what technology offers the best viewing angle and honest rendition of my digital photos so that I can be sure to buy something at least better than what I have?

:)

lbeck, Dec 5, 2016

2. Explain difference between Version and Update Version in Internet Explorer

Hi,

Internet Explorer Version is the indication of the revisions and improvements for the app's functionalities while the Internet Explorer's Update version is the update (usually a security update) that is recently installed on for Internet Explorer. This
    link provides further information about Internet Explorer versions.

Let us know if further assistance is needed.

Darleen Pen, Dec 5, 2016
  3. getn_1984 Win User
    Explain difference between Version and Update Version in Internet Explorer

Hello,

Can anyone explain the difference between Version and Update version in IE 11.

My IE browser version says "11.674.15063.0" however the update versions is: 11.0.47 (KB4040685)

How should one read these 2 values, any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks !!

getn_1984, Dec 5, 2016
  4. Wullail Win User

Wullail, Dec 5, 2016
  5. Try3 Win User
    I appreciate that I am not addressing the question you have asked but ...

When I experienced the symptoms you described it was the start of a breakdown of the display cable - the cable running from the motherboard [or separate display card] up into the monitor casing.

I checked that this was the case by looking through the service manual for my notebook [which I found on the computer maker's website] to find the route that the cable took and then removing the outer casing of the monitor and the section of casing around the monitor's hinges to free the cable up.

With these sections of casing removed the cable was not squeezed or twisted as the monitor was tilted and the symptoms [changes in brightness level, flickering] disappeared. When I put all the bits of casing back in, the symptoms returned. I concluded that the insulation between strands of the cable was breaking down.

I found a replacement display cable online [£20] and fitted it. It has been fine ever since.

I had seen these symptoms on an identical computer several years earlier but had mistakenly thought it was a PSU problem then, before I could re-evaluate the cause, the constant unintended voltages on the various strands of the cable had written off the motherboard & the notebook died.

So I would urge you to address the root cause of the problem instead of just switching to an external monitor.

Denis

Try3, Dec 6, 2016
  6. bobkn Win User
    That would make sense if "lbeck" was seeing some sort of glitching. From the description, it sounds to me more like the normal image changes that you get when changing viewing angle with a TN display. (I own a cheap new Asus laptop, and the effect is very strong with it.) That occurs just by moving your head relative to the monitor, without any flexing of the cable connecting the display to the motherboard.

bobkn, Dec 6, 2016
  7. lbeck Win User
    Bobkn is right. It's the result of a cheap monitor attached to an otherwise acceptable laptop. The link provided by Wullail addresses mostly gaming machines and the difference in monitor construction.

What I'm really looking for is should I by LED, TFT, LCD or whatever as a monitor tethered to my laptop via HDMI so that images will look more like what I see on my desktop at home. Wanting to avoid the brightness/contrast movement that occurs when I tilt my laptop screen.

During a recent trip I adjusted brightness/contrast of hundreds of images in the field and needed to readjust when I got home. I can estimate these image characteristics by finding the appropriate tilt angle. But I find that hooking to e.g., a motel TV is much more accurately tuned to my desktop monitor. I'm looking for a small (12-16 " or so) to carry in my computer bag when I travel.

lbeck, Dec 6, 2016
  8. bobkn Win User

A brief monitor lexicon:

LCD: liquid crystal display. Nearly all monitors are LCDs at this time. The LC serves as a light valve for a backlight.

LED: light emitting diode backlight . (Older monitors used cold cathode fluorescent tubes). High efficiency, good colors, long life.

(It's possible to buy Organic LED televisions, which do not use LC, but I'm not aware of any small PC monitors that are OLED.)

TFT: thin film transistor. Displays that integrate an array of active components (transistors) with the LC elements. All LC monitors that I know of now use TFTs. There were passive displays, mainly used in laptops, more than 20 years ago. They gave really poor images. I doubt that there are any non-TFT monitors on the market these days.

If you check Wikipedia, you'll find that the LCD displays in common use at the moment are TN (twisted nematic), VA (Vertcal Alignment), and IPS (in plane switching). IPS is supposed to be least sensitive to viewing angle changes, so it's probably what you want.

I'm not current in what's available, but I found an example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA0V13PB0052

It's a lot more expensive than a desktop monitor, but if you're looking for portability...

bobkn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. explain difference in monitors - Similar Threads - explain difference monitors

2. Size vs Size on disk difference in Windows explained

in Windows 10 News
    Size vs Size on disk difference in Windows explained: [IMG]You can view the actual size of your file by opening file properties in File Explorer. If you have ever noticed, file properties show two different types of sizes for the same file, namely, Size and Size on disk. The Size on disk is usually larger than the actual file...
  3. Different Axis for Mice on Different Monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different Axis for Mice on Different Monitors: I have a monitor that is meant to be seen by other users, but it is reversed compared to the original user. I know how to match displays using the normal extended monitor set-up in Windows 10. The issue is that the perspective-axis is different than the original user's...
  4. Different Axis for Mice on Different Monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Different Axis for Mice on Different Monitors: I have a monitor that is meant to be seen by other users, but it is reversed compared to the original user. I know how to match displays using the normal extended monitor set-up in Windows 10. The issue is that the perspective-axis is different than the original user's...
  5. Different Axis for Mice on Different Monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Different images as backgrounds on different Monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different images as backgrounds on different Monitors: I am currently unable to set different images as backgrounds on my different monitors. This is what I see when I try to do so:I have tried using methods I found in other threads to fix this problem. I have tried switching to duplicate display and back to extend as well as...
  7. Different images as backgrounds on different Monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Different images as backgrounds on different Monitors: I am currently unable to set different images as backgrounds on my different monitors. This is what I see when I try to do so:I have tried using methods I found in other threads to fix this problem. I have tried switching to duplicate display and back to extend as well as...
  8. Different images as backgrounds on different Monitors

9. Mouse cursor different on different monitors

Mouse cursor different on different monitors: I work with 3 monitors and,for no reason, the mouse cursor on the 2nd monitor changed from the arrow to a circle. I've tried mouse settings and monitor settings and nothing helps. I've re-started twice....
  10. Explain different versions of Office 2019 Home and Student??

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Explain different versions of Office 2019 Home and Student??: There are at least 2 versions, each with a different Product Code. Both are key cards. Neither appears to be a subscription. The first one is priced around 110 to 120; the second one at 150 and occasionally on sale for less. It looks like in both cases, the buyer is sent...