Windows 10: Explain Sleep Mode

Discus and support Explain Sleep Mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use sleep mode often to save a little time in starting up and I have noticed some things. When going into sleep mode the light on the power button... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JWalker, Mar 12, 2017.

1. JWalker Win User

Explain Sleep Mode

I use sleep mode often to save a little time in starting up and I have noticed some things. When going into sleep mode the light on the power button goes off and on for around 30 minutes and returning to ON is fast during that period. I can push the power button to return to the On mode or I can use Fn + 4. After 30 minutes or so in sleep mode the power button light stops turning on and off and I can only return to On by using Fn + 4 and it takes a little longer to return to On. What is going on with sleep mode. It seems that when going to sleep mode the only thing that happens for the first approximately 30 minutes is that the screen goes dark and after that it goes to a more powered off mode which would be what the sleep mode of previous Windows versions provided. I can't speak for Windows 8, but versions before that had the On and sleep and nothing in between. Any insights. I know this is rather trivial but I am curious.

:)

JWalker, Mar 12, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Windows 10 sleep

Perhaps if you could explain exactly what 'sleep mode problems' you are referring to ...

BulldogXX, Mar 12, 2017
  3. Jamesdg56 Win User
    Windows 10 sleep mode

Recently after an automatic update on Win10 I lost the option sleep mode. Have looked for the option to enable sleep mode in: Control Panel . All Control Panel Itmes > Power Options > System Settings, but the option sleep is not available. Only the settings:
    Turn on fast startup, Hybernate and Lock are available.
    Can anybody explain how to get it back. did have this option before the last automatic update.

Thanks,

Jamesdg56, Mar 12, 2017
  4. Explain Sleep Mode

I believe that the system goes into Hibernate mode after 30 minutes in your case. My PC does the same thing.

Unless I'm totally wrong about that. Then just ignore this post. *Smile

Gurn Blanston, Mar 12, 2017
  5. maranna Win User
    When ever I am not computing I select sleep and after about 5 seconds the machine does just that. The power button is amber and the PSU[fan] and machine are sleeping.
    When I want to awaken the PC, I just wiggle the mouse and it awakens right away. I sign in to my home screen.

maranna, Mar 14, 2017
  6. JWalker Win User
    Your computer behavior is different than mine. I definitely have two stages of going to sleep mode as described above. My mouse cannot return the laptop from sleep but any key can return it. I have a SSD so there is no fan to turn off and that may change the way Windows 10 goes into sleep mode. Might your computer be a desktop? I don't know if that makes a difference.

JWalker, Mar 14, 2017
  7. maranna Win User
    Mine is a 6 year old desktop, HDD no SSD and an old BIOS no UEFI.

maranna, Mar 14, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

Explain Sleep Mode

S3 state controls everything. You have to look at the Power Config report to see what is going on as it goes into S3 state and when it may wake up from a IRQ request. Sleep which is just taking components down to where only the CPU is running at a minimal state with a snapshot of what was running before just turning various components offline but still may run the fan to keep the CPU cooled.

Hibernate takes a snapshot of the system and all running processes and programs, then stores that information on the hard drive in a file that can vary more than the Prefetch which can shrink and grow, depending on how quickly Windows needs items to start up and bring it up to function properly for the user. Hibernate can end up with a corrupted folder and you end up having to fix the hard drive if it causes windows to not properly run.

bro67, Mar 15, 2017
  9. AndreyT Win User
    This mostl likely indicates that the computer is descending into deeper sleep states. This might depend on the OS, as well as on hardware capabilities and BIOS settings. Older systems typically recognized "Sleep" command as an order to directly enter S3 sleep state, in which virtually everything is powered down except memory. More modern systems might actually begin their sleep from S1 state, in which all system clocks stop, stopping the CPU and the rest of the hardware, but still keeping them partially powered.

In your case you might want to take a look at the CPU fan in the first sleep state. On many (all?) machines the CPU fan continues to spin in S1 state. In S3 is always stops. Does your CPU fan keep spinning during that first 30 minute period?

AndreyT, Mar 15, 2017
  10. bro67 Win User
    Depends on when it was manufactured. The two six year old laptops from Toshiba that I gave one to my ex for her to use and my wife uses my son's old one that we kept. Both had UEFI and were installed with Windows 8. Even my wife's company laptop from that year that her company installed Windows 7 on has UEFI.

bro67, Mar 15, 2017
  11. JWalker Win User
    The fan can't help determine my sleeps state because with SSD I don't have a fan. I am sure that my laptop goes through two stages of sleep because in the first stage the power button light alternates on and off. In the second stage it is off all the time. In the first stage I can return to operation by pushing the power button or Fn + 4. In the second stage I can only return to operation by pushing the power button. Returning to operation is a little faster in the first stage of sleep.

JWalker, Mar 15, 2017
  12. bro67 Win User
    Read the post. Yes a Laptop does have a fan. Because it has a SSD, the sleep states are still the same. Open up a Command Window and type in Powercfg. You will get a list of commands. Make sure that you change to your My Documents folder for when you run Powercfg with the flag to save the output of the information of what is going on.

Sleep State is set by Power Settings, but you also have to go into the Device Manager and Bios to change other settings of hardware that is not handled through the Power Settings.

bro67, Mar 17, 2017
  13. JWalker Win User

Explain Sleep Mode

Thanks bro67. I learn something new every day about computers and that process will never end. The fan on my laptop is one I cannot hear or feel the airflow from so I would say that it is much smaller than the fans with optical HD. I took a quick try with the Powerconfig command but I could not get my laptop to recognize it. Perhaps there is another character I need to add. I just about never use commands so I am sure it is a newbie mistake.

JWalker, Mar 17, 2017
  14. bro67 Win User
    You should never hear the fan running on the laptop unless you are running something that is cpu intense. You can watch CPU temps with Core Temp. Very low resource TSR that just shows a numerical display of highest core temp of all cores if you choose. Core Temp Set it to run when Windows starts. You have a couple of items to do in setup.

bro67, Mar 18, 2017
  15. JWalker Win User
    I installed Core Temp and my i7 7500 two core laptop processor shows 30 and 29 deg C at idle. I will check it when I do some heavy processing. But at idle I can't hear the fan or feel any air coming out of the vent. It the fan off when the the core temperatures are this low?

JWalker, Mar 19, 2017
Thema:

Explain Sleep Mode

1. Explain Sleep Mode - Similar Threads - Explain Sleep Mode

2. sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    sleep mode: does my computers alarm sound off if the PC is asleep https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-mode/c2ecd7a5-73eb-4beb-b05d-271677d04c53
  3. Explaining Sleep and Off Modes

Explaining Sleep and Off Modes: Hello,I have my power settings fixed at the following below, but I'm not sure I understand what they all mean. Under "Screen" where it says "turn off after," does that mean only the screen will turn off, or will the whole computer turn off? When it says "PC goes to sleep...
  4. no sleep mode

no sleep mode: how can i restore sleep mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-sleep-mode/c4aa3618-98e3-4e9a-baba-f00e89d4a2b0
  5. Sleep mode

Sleep mode: Hello, My computer won't go to sleep mode due to a process called MoUsoCoreWorker.exe. I have googled this problem and a suggested fix was to restart Windows Update Service in the Service Manager, unfortunately this is only a temporary fix. How would I permanently fix this...
  6. sleep mode

sleep mode: my laptop ASUS TUF A15 512GB SSD is taking too long to go to sleep mode like 1-2 minutes what could be the issue and how to resolve it ? It boots normally and comes out of sleep in about 3-5 seconds can some one help me...
  7. Sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sleep mode?: Is it working on the newest build? submitted by /u/whiffleboy666 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hx72gq/sleep_mode/
  8. sleep mode

sleep mode: Why is my computer not staying on sleep mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-mode/feaa59a6-5398-435e-8347-b758f7d058d8
  9. Sleep mode

Sleep mode: Good day, Please what does allow hybrid sleep mode mean? I want my internet on and want to be connected to internet while my computer is asleep. Please explain hybrid sleep to me and how I can achieve my need. Camillus....
  10. Sleep Mode

Sleep Mode: I am running into an issue where every third or fourth time I press the delete key on Windows 10 while using Excel or Google Sheets most notably, my computer goes into sleep mode. It is incredibly frustrating, and I have changed all of my sleep settings to "Never." I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 sleep mode explain

2. explain the sleep mode

3. how to explain sleep mode