Windows 10: Explaining Sleep and Off Modes

Discus and support Explaining Sleep and Off Modes in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello,I have my power settings fixed at the following below, but I'm not sure I understand what they all mean. Under "Screen" where it says "turn off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by DaffyDuckKangaroo, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Explaining Sleep and Off Modes

Hello,I have my power settings fixed at the following below, but I'm not sure I understand what they all mean. Under "Screen" where it says "turn off after," does that mean only the screen will turn off, or will the whole computer turn off? When it says "PC goes to sleep after" under "Sleep," does that occur after the screen has "turned off," or before? At what point do I have to put my pin in to open the lockscreen, after the computer "sleeps" or after it "turns off"? That is, I'm not sure what comes first, "turns off" or "sleep" because I'm not sure if "turns off" means the whole computer tu

:)

DaffyDuckKangaroo, Sep 9, 2021

2. Sleep mode

Hi Adam,

For us to better assist with your issue on sleep mode, we'd like to ask a few questions.

• Have you made any updates to your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you refer to this thread and follow the answer of Andre
    Da Costa to troubleshoot the issue with sleep mode missing.

You can also refer to this article that was
    created by Andre Da Costa to enable sleep mode.

Looking forward to you response.

Reymichael Ros, Sep 9, 2021
  3. sleep mode

Hi disgruntledWC,

There could be other settings on your computer that triggers your computer to go on sleep even though the sleep settings is set to never. To ensure that the sleep and display settings are properly set, I suggest that you look into the Advanced Power Settings.
    Follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel and click Power Options.
    • On your preferred plan, click Change plan settings.
    • Click advanced power settings.
    • Expand Sleep option, and make sure to set the following:
    Sleep after : Never

Hibernate after : Never

5. Click Apply, then OK.

Please check also the screen saver option.

• Navigate to Settings > Personalization > Lock screen.
    • Click Screen saver settings.
    • Set your Screen saver to None.
    • Click Apply, then OK.

Once done, please observe if your computer still goes to sleep mode after a few minutes of inactivity.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Sep 9, 2021
  4. David Haz Win User

Explaining Sleep and Off Modes

Waking up from sleep mode

Hi Phil,

If you are unable to get out of Sleep mode, it could mean that the BIOS installed reduces the power to which your input device is connected, i.e. mouse or keyboard. For us to properly assist you in getting out of Sleep mode, kindly respond to the questions
    below:

• Can you explain further what you are experiencing? Were you able to get to the lock screen after waking from Sleep mode?
    • Are you using a laptop or a desktop computer?
    • When did the issue start to occur? Did it happen after installing an update, an app, or a driver?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far? This is for us to know and to avoid any duplication of efforts on your end.

We look forward to your response.

David Haz, Sep 9, 2021
Thema:

Explaining Sleep and Off Modes

1. Explaining Sleep and Off Modes - Similar Threads - Explaining Sleep Off

2. Explain bluetooth not switching on or off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explain bluetooth not switching on or off: Explain this screenshot to me:Why settings app can toggle it on/off, but the taskbar cannot, and why the state doesn't reflect the on state? It doesn't enable bluetooth nor disable if i click from the taskbar area.Windows 11 Home 22H2 22621.1992...
  3. Explain bluetooth not switching on or off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explain bluetooth not switching on or off: Explain this screenshot to me:Why settings app can toggle it on/off, but the taskbar cannot, and why the state doesn't reflect the on state? It doesn't enable bluetooth nor disable if i click from the taskbar area.Windows 11 Home 22H2 22621.1992...
  4. Sleep mode permently shuts off pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep mode permently shuts off pc: I recently got a new pc but I am having this one issue is when I put it to sleep mode and after the display shuts off the pc won’t fully turn on no matter what I do even hitting the power button so I’m forced to unplug and reply my pc is their any solution to this?...
  5. Sleep Mode & Screen Off Mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep Mode & Screen Off Mode: If I set,PC screen will turn off after- 1hourPC will sleep after- 2hourWhen the PC will actually sleep during my inactivity? Is it 2hour? Or 1+2=3 hour?I mean, what does it mean by "sleep after"? Does the count start from the screen went off? Or from the the very beginning of...
  6. Issues with turning off display and sleep mode

Issues with turning off display and sleep mode: Hi I have a brand new Asus VivoBook laptop and the display is not turning off and the computer is not going to sleep for the times I've set. I've tried the Power troubleshooter, restoring Balanced plan to defaults, and turning off fast start up with no success. The screen...
  7. PC - Power Off - Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Support
    PC - Power Off - Sleep mode: 10-64 Updated to 10/04/2019 - KB4493464,4493478,4023057. After powering off if I select key powers on again. Has happened several times. Am certain correct key used to turn off. Appreciate assistance please. Rgds. 131083
  8. Monitors Switch Off In Sleep Mode

Monitors Switch Off In Sleep Mode: Can anyone advise please? I have created a shortcut to enable me to put my computer into sleep mode without the power button. I am trying to find a way that I can keep my monitors in sleep mode too. They go into sleep mode and then after about twenty to thirty seconds...
  9. Explain Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Explain Sleep Mode: I use sleep mode often to save a little time in starting up and I have noticed some things. When going into sleep mode the light on the power button goes off and on for around 30 minutes and returning to ON is fast during that period. I can push the power button to return to...
  10. Sleep Mode Turns Unit Off

Sleep Mode Turns Unit Off: When entering Sleep Mode the computer is turned off. Performance indicates that Sleep Mode is set for 30 minutes which I have not used, but when I leave my computer and manually select Sleep Mode is when the computer is turned off. I checked the network adapter for the...