Windows 10: explicitly change file associations to office apps windows 10

Discus and support explicitly change file associations to office apps windows 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; A client has a machine which has two versions of office installed. From Office 2007 they now have installed 2013. They do not want to uninstall 2007... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by john-errington, Feb 24, 2019.

1. explicitly change file associations to office apps windows 10

A client has a machine which has two versions of office installed.

From Office 2007 they now have installed 2013.

They do not want to uninstall 2007 because one user is comfortable with that;

however they do want the default open applications to be 2013.

The file association manager does not distinguish between 2007 and 2013

so on a click to open "Excel" or "Word" launches as 2007 version.

Can anyone suggest a way to make the two suites be shown explicitly eg as Excel2013 / Excel2007 ?

:)

john-errington, Feb 24, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Office 2019

Only supported on Win10. Sorry, 8.1 users, only 4 years old, gotta go.

Microsoft Office 2019 will only work on Windows 10

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...-to-office-and-windows-servicing-and-support/

Spoiler Office 2019
    Last year at Ignite, we announced Office 2019 – the next perpetual version of Office that includes apps (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, and Skype for Business) and servers (including Exchange, SharePoint, and Skype for Business). Today we’re pleased to share the following updates:

• Office 2019 will ship in H2 of 2018. Previews of the new apps and servers will start shipping in the second quarter of 2018.
    • Office 2019 apps will be supported on:
      • Any supported Windows 10 SAC release
      • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2018
      • The next LTSC release of Windows Server
    • The Office 2019 client apps will be released with Click-to-Run installation technology only. We will not provide MSI as a deployment methodology for Office 2019 clients. We will continue to provide MSI for Office Server products.

Ahhzz, Feb 24, 2019
  3. i accidentally associated an xls file with office xml handler

Hi,

You can change the default application associated with each file type from Windows Settings. To change the default app by file type, follow these steps:

1. Go to
    Settings.

2. Click
    System.

3. Select
    Default apps.

4. Click the
    Choose default apps by file type option at the bottom of the page.

5. Look for
    .xls file from the list of file types, then click the
    Office XML Handler beside it.

6. Choose the application you would like to associate it with.

Let us know if you need additional assistance.

Kristine Arp, Feb 24, 2019
  4. Bill_VA2 Win User

explicitly change file associations to office apps windows 10

Latest WIndows 10 Update Changes File Associations

I'm about to lose my mind and patience with this issue. I've reset the file association via every way possible and still the file associations for Edge keep coming back, sometimes even minutes after I've changed it. In particular with these file types
    and associations:

• graphic files like png, jpg, gif - I have resurrected Window Photo Viewer and associated these file types with it, but Windows 10 keeps changing them back to the Photos app
    • mp3 files - I changed them to Windows Media Player, but Windows 10 keeps changing them back to Groove Music
    • htm and html files - I changed to open with Chrome, but Windows 10 keeps changing them back to open with Edge
    • pdf files - I changed to open with Acrobat Pro, but Windows 10 keeps changing them back to open with Edge

OMG!!!! When I started typing this, I changed the file association for .pdf files to Acrobat, and just now after proofing this post, they're reset to open with Edge!!!!

Come on Microsoft, quit screwing with us and leave the file associations alone!!!!

Bill_VA2, Feb 24, 2019
Thema:

explicitly change file associations to office apps windows 10

1. explicitly change file associations to office apps windows 10 - Similar Threads - explicitly change file

2. File App Association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File App Association: There isn't a file option for .odm in default file association by app in settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-app-association/3e118cb5-61df-49e0-89ea-373fc0307092
  3. File Associations and default apps Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Associations and default apps Windows 10: I installed Python 3.7 today and started working with it. When I tried to run a Python program from it's folder, I found the default was set to Notepad, rather than Python. When I tried to change the default program, Python was not listed as an option, even though it is...
  4. How to change/remove file association app from a file type Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change/remove file association app from a file type Windows 10: I saw this question on an old thread I'm not sure if this was already answered but ill post this anyway for ppl who still need it. you'll also need to know how to rename file types as well, you can go to this link to learn how to do that https://youtu.be/10Br6exp_Ow...
  5. File association not changing to some apps

File association not changing to some apps: I have a laptop with Windows 10 home 64-bit on it, and the only thing I did to make old apps compatible, is that I set the owner of Program Files and Program Files (x86) to myself, and gave myself full access to those folders. The problem I'm having is that whenever I try to...
  6. cannot change file association

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot change file association: Suddenly, I cannot change my file association to the program I want. For example, I want to change ".txt" to use "notepad2.exe", not the default "notepad". Recently I was able to do that. If I right-click, properties, and choose my "notepad2", the change won't take effect....
  7. cannot change file association

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot change file association: Suddenly, I cannot change my file association to the program I want. For example, I want to change ".txt" to use "notepad2.exe", not the default "notepad". Recently I was able to do that. If I right-click, properties, and choose my "notepad2", the change won't take effect....
  8. Icons "missing" and file associations now to Office Mobile Apps

Icons "missing" and file associations now to Office Mobile Apps: Our CEO has a relatively new Surface Book. After a Win update, many of his icons are not displaying (some are there, some are not) and all his file associations with Microsoft Apps changed to the "mobile" versions (i.e docx changed the association form Word to Word Mobile)....
  9. Changing file association

Changing file association: Adobe acrobat reader is associated with ascm files. I need to change the association so that I can open an ascm file with Adobe digital reader so that I can read a book. Thanks...
  10. file association change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file association change: v 1607 just installed, Microsoft keeps wanting to change from libre office to wordpad, win patrol cancels it but it keeps trying to change file association how do I stop taht 63644

Users found this page by searching for:

1. office 2019 latest update remove fole association

2. win 10 associate libre office app