Windows 10: Explorer always shows details by default

Discus and support Explorer always shows details by default in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Is it just me or someone else thinks that detail view is really outdated and now is just annoying. Any folder that you access, by default has lots of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Pedro Hansen, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Explorer always shows details by default

Is it just me or someone else thinks that detail view is really outdated and now is just annoying.

Any folder that you access, by default has lots of screen space occupied with 'unnecessary' details, forcing you to scroll down and seek further to find what you're looking for. Making it more time consuming.

What does it shows? Details, of course, but what kind? Well, the type of file (if you couldn't tell by the icon or thumbnail), the file size, last modified date, things that are also shown on the pop-up when you hover the mouse upon.

Most of the time we don't need details. Just names and icons to discern the file type. And a 'list view' is much more practical for this. But I'm sick of doing the 'same old dance' every time I enter a folder: Go to the top > Show > Exhibition mode > List.

That 'clever' solution of going into explorer properties and click 'Apply to all folders' is a pain the neck, and Windows just seems to have amnesia.

You want to see something funny is when I enter my folder filled with my wave files in detailed view. Everything empty on the right side. Except that one column that say "wave file" as if I couldn't tell by the inevitable pop-up info and the icon, of course.

Pisses me off not only the empty columns of details but the changed sort modes... forget 'sort by modified date'! 1 wave file on that folder and now you have to sort by 'artist', by album, release year, track number'. And then comes another same old dance of adding the sort modes that I want. And after you add it, you have to open the context menu again and select the one you just added, but beware, it might not be there the next time, and you have to add it again.

Just wanted to share my thoughts, I don't expect Microsoft to care about this. I was thinking in put this on the 'ease of access' category, because it's just a matter of ease, I think.

Do I need to say, sorry for my bad English, is a second language. Take it easy, peace.

:)

Pedro Hansen, Mar 11, 2019
  2. yahanna Win User

How to Show Windows Explorer in List View by Default?

Windows explorer is set by default to details view. I used a reg file to get it to change to list view but with mixed success. I want it to show list view across all folders. How do I do that?

yahanna, Mar 11, 2019
  3. preview/details pane in explorer

Hi,

Setting the Preview pane to show or hide in File Explorer will apply to all folders. If you wish to hide the Preview pane in File Explorer, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Tap on View tab.
    • Click Preview Pane to view/hide it.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Mar 11, 2019
  4. Explorer always shows details by default

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Mar 11, 2019
Thema:

Explorer always shows details by default

1. Explorer always shows details by default - Similar Threads - Explorer always shows

2. How to modify the default details options in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to modify the default details options in File Explorer?: Hi,I would like to know if it's possible to modify the default detail options e.g. size, type, date modified in files explorers in Windows 11 Home?...
  3. How to modify the default details options in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to modify the default details options in File Explorer?: Hi,I would like to know if it's possible to modify the default detail options e.g. size, type, date modified in files explorers in Windows 11 Home?...
  4. Images and icons always show default file icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Images and icons always show default file icon: Hi, i recently updated windows 11 to version 22H2, and somehow image thumbnails were replaced with the default file icon:To fix this I've tried this so far:Running DISM.exeRunning sfc /scannowExplorer settings to default including view settingsDisk cleanup thumbnailsRebooting...
  5. Images and icons always show default file icon

Images and icons always show default file icon: Hi, i recently updated windows 11 to version 22H2, and somehow image thumbnails were replaced with the default file icon:To fix this I've tried this so far:Running DISM.exeRunning sfc /scannowExplorer settings to default including view settingsDisk cleanup thumbnailsRebooting...
  6. Keep Windows Explorer always in Details

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keep Windows Explorer always in Details: Windows 11I dislike the Explorer modes that display cutsy little pictures, icons. When changed to details, it frequently reverts to the icons. What can be done to have Windows Explorer always display toolbar View always set to Details?...
  7. Keep Windows Explorer always in Details

Keep Windows Explorer always in Details: Windows 11I dislike the Explorer modes that display cutsy little pictures, icons. When changed to details, it frequently reverts to the icons. What can be done to have Windows Explorer always display toolbar View always set to Details?...
  8. File explorer does not show existing file details when Detail panel is selected it shows...

in Windows 10 Customization
    File explorer does not show existing file details when Detail panel is selected it shows...: When using File explorer I find useful to display file details Title, Tag, Keyword, Object, Comments, Properties, ... in addition to the default details filename, ype, size, last modification. I have added these details and they are essential for me for classifying documents...
  9. Detail tabs defaults

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Detail tabs defaults: Hey everyone! I am an audio engineer and I find really annoying that when in list mode Windows automatically defaults the detail tabs to "Contributing artist, #, Album, etc...". Is there any way to permanently change this to something more useful, say "Date modified"...
  10. Always "show more details" in explorer when > 15 files selected?

in Windows 10 Support
    Always "show more details" in explorer when > 15 files selected?: When you select files in windows explorer, there is a pane on the right hand side that will show details about the selected files. If you select more than 15 files, the details section automatically disappears and is replaced with a "show more details" link that must be...