Windows 10: Explorer and Task Manager do not respond

Discus and support Explorer and Task Manager do not respond in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This is a random bug that occurred when I did the following: 1. Request to "save as" a file using Google Chrome 2. Explorer window to select... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Zefir Zdravkov, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Explorer and Task Manager do not respond

This is a random bug that occurred when I did the following:

1. Request to "save as" a file using Google Chrome

2. Explorer window to select destination never opened

3. Tried to open Task Manager and restart Explorer, Task Manager opened and stopped responding nothing ever appeared

4. Tried to open File Explorer but it never opens the window

5. Tried to open Task Manager using Ctrl + Alt + Del the same thing happened and some of my taskbar icons disappeared shortcuts are still there, but have no image. Groove, Store, Email, Netflix and Messenger still have their icons. Chrome, Paint, Task Manager, Discord and other don't

6. Sent termination signal to the process "explorer.exe" using taskkill /IM explorer.exe, that didn't do anything

:)

Zefir Zdravkov, Mar 23, 2020

2. Task Bar, Task manager and apps, all not responding, Windows 10

step 1 worked a dream. Had earlier tried everything suggested in these forums. nothing had worked to solve the problem. The media creation tool as suggested in step 1 did the trick. - it took several hours, but worth it.

ps. original complaint - non responding - and task manager - blank or useless.

Harry Thompson 966, Mar 23, 2020
  3. tttony Win User
    *SOLVED*Where can I get Task Manager for Windows? NOT process Explorer.

In Procces Explorer: Options -> Disable: Replace Task Manager

tttony, Mar 23, 2020
  4. Explorer and Task Manager do not respond

Windows Explorer stopped responding after switching screens

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

- Do you get any error message?

- Which build are you using on your PC?

As Windows Explorer not responding, let us try to kill the Windows Explorer (explorer.exe process) from the task manager.

• Right click on Taskbar and choose Start Task Manager.
    • Look for Explorer.exe under Processes tab, then right click on it and select End Process.
    • Now, try to create a new explorer.exe from the task manager.
    • Click on File and then click on New Task. Type Explorer.exe and click OK.

I f the issue persist, I suggest you to check in Clean boot state.

Clean boot

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot"
    in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Hope the information helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Mar 23, 2020
Thema:

Explorer and Task Manager do not respond

1. Explorer and Task Manager do not respond - Similar Threads - Explorer Task Manager

2. Apps not Loading and Task Manager not Responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps not Loading and Task Manager not Responding: Hi,This issue has been persistent for about a week now. No joke. This all started after I updated Fortnite for the new chapter... Just want to provide a timeline and anything I did previously to this issue.Basically, when I try to load game apps or launchers such as Steam,...
  3. Apps not Loading and Task Manager not Responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps not Loading and Task Manager not Responding: Hi,This issue has been persistent for about a week now. No joke. This all started after I updated Fortnite for the new chapter... Just want to provide a timeline and anything I did previously to this issue.Basically, when I try to load game apps or launchers such as Steam,...
  4. Task manager keeps "not responding"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task manager keeps "not responding": Hi! This problem only occurred today. Clicking the "x" button on my task manager causes it to freeze and "not respond". I have researched about similar problems and solutions including running the cmd and even checking for updates and rebooting my computer like a million...
  5. Task manager keeps "not responding"

Task manager keeps "not responding": Hi! This problem only occurred today. Clicking the "x" button on my task manager causes it to freeze and "not respond". I have researched about similar problems and solutions including running the cmd and even checking for updates and rebooting my computer like a million...
  6. Task Manager Not Responding.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager Not Responding.: Adobe Support were unable to complete their work because Task Manager on Windows 11 kept giving error message "Task Manager Not Responding" and then hanging. Eventually contacted MS Support suggested I try a work around -"Perform SFC Scan & Repair Windows Image" but this...
  7. Task Manager Not Responding.

Task Manager Not Responding.: Adobe Support were unable to complete their work because Task Manager on Windows 11 kept giving error message "Task Manager Not Responding" and then hanging. Eventually contacted MS Support suggested I try a work around -"Perform SFC Scan & Repair Windows Image" but this...
  8. task manager not responding

task manager not responding: is it normal to have task manager not responding i am using windows since the old age of win 3.1 this is first time i have seen this error. 166423
  9. Explorer not responding, Task Manager not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer not responding, Task Manager not opening: Hi all, I hope someone here can help me because I'm at my wit's end. I have a Surface Pro 4, running windows 10 that I hadn't turned on in about 4-6 weeks. Yesterday I tried it and to my despair could not log in - the log in screens were super slow and when they came back...
  10. No "Not responding" status in task Manager?

in Windows 10 Support
    No "Not responding" status in task Manager?: I am trying to figure out if apps are frozen are simply still processing information in Win 10. In Win 7 I would go to the task manger and see a "Not Responding" in the status field to let me know if there is a problem, but I don't have that option in Win 10. I can only see...