Windows 10: Explorer and taskbar search not working

Discus and support Explorer and taskbar search not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Build 1904.338 When I click into the search bar the cursor doesnt appear, a black box briefly appears above and I cannot type. The same happens in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Roadster1950, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Explorer and taskbar search not working

Build 1904.338

When I click into the search bar the cursor doesnt appear, a black box briefly appears above and I cannot type. The same happens in the File Explorer search box. After many frustrating googles and many blind allys I am stuck trying to find out if the search service is actually running. Task manager Services tab, click "Open Services" and a blank window opens res://C:%5CWINDOWS%5Csystem32%5Cmmcndmgr.dll/views.htm

Could someone assist please?

- - - Updated - - -

Also I have just found, if I go into computer management and click on services and applications I get res://C:%5CWINDOWS%5Csystem32%5Cmmcndmgr.dll/views.htm

:)

Roadster1950, Jul 29, 2020
  2. APG6 Win User

my taskbar search is working sporadically

My taskbar search bar is working some of the time. For example, if I type in "TaskMgr", it will list taskmgr, and when I click on it, it opens my Task Manager, as expected.

But if I type in a file name or an app, like WinMerge, it will list them properly in the Search list, but if I click on them, either nothing happens or it takes me to the root window of File Explorer, instead of to the file or the app.

I ran through all the steps on this page, to no avail: Search isn't working on Windows 10? Try these fixes.

Any ideas?

3. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Jul 29, 2020
  4. D. Joe Win User

Explorer and taskbar search not working

Taskbar search

Did not do anything to help. The search in File Explorer works fine. The first and last screen shot shows a search leading to no results but the file explorer finds them just fine. The last one shows my indexing options.

Thank you

PS: can't get the screenshots to upload....

D. Joe, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

Explorer and taskbar search not working

1. Explorer and taskbar search not working - Similar Threads - Explorer taskbar search

2. Windows TaskBar Blank and File Explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows TaskBar Blank and File Explorer search not working: We bought an IdeaPad 5 Pro 14ACN6 for work purposes. When you start up the computer there are icons on the desktop but the taskbar down at the bottom has nothing. No windows symbol, no icons, no battery info, nothing. If you minimize something it disappears and I can't get...
  3. Windows TaskBar Blank and File Explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows TaskBar Blank and File Explorer search not working: We bought an IdeaPad 5 Pro 14ACN6 for work purposes. When you start up the computer there are icons on the desktop but the taskbar down at the bottom has nothing. No windows symbol, no icons, no battery info, nothing. If you minimize something it disappears and I can't get...
  4. windows search not working in taskbar and file explorer

in Cortana
    windows search not working in taskbar and file explorer: [ATTACH] it just keeps crashing i tried restarting and using the troubleshooter i cant even use file explorer search how to fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-not-working-in-taskbar-and-file/25d5c8be-22dd-41d5-b44f-02ab3dfe9cf4
  5. Search field in taskbar and file explorer does not work

in Cortana
    Search field in taskbar and file explorer does not work: Hi I bought my computer last week and installed Windows 10 last friday. yesterday i suddenly had problems with using the file ewplorer search function, and I don't know how to make it work again...
  6. Taskbar not working, file explorer unable to search, and settings not working.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Taskbar not working, file explorer unable to search, and settings not working.: Hello, When I went to shutoff my computer last night, it said there was an update so I updated my computer. Upon turning it on this morning I found something weird. My taskbar is not working. I can still open up apps that are on it, but I cannot open the start menu,...
  7. [Help] Taskbar not working and can’t search in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Help] Taskbar not working and can’t search in File Explorer: Good afternoon, I woke up this morning to a problem. My task bar is not working. I can open up apps that are pinned to it, but I can’t open the internet icon, sound icon, the search bar, or start button on the task bar. I can right click and open task manager but that is the...
  8. Taskbar and Explorer search bars do not work

in Cortana
    Taskbar and Explorer search bars do not work: The search bar on my taskbar and the search bar in explorer do not work, clicking on them does nothing. Also the windows start button and all of the icons on the start menu work perfectly fine it's literally just the search bar that does not work. I've looked through some...
  9. taskbar search not working

in Cortana
    taskbar search not working: taskbar search not accessing internet. windows 10 and latest version of edge https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-search-not-working/13b06201-7685-4e41-bdca-5c585878cf42
  10. Taskbar Search: Launch Windows Explorer Search

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Search: Launch Windows Explorer Search: What I'd like to find is a way to have a searchbox on the Taskbar that launches Windows Search, not the new Windows search. I'm pretty sure it's just a different GUID or namespace. This will do for now though. From the SevenForums (SF) Tutorial section Search Shortcut -...