Windows 10: Explorer attribute that shows when files in a sub-folder are modified

Discus and support Explorer attribute that shows when files in a sub-folder are modified in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The "date modified" attribute only updates when a file in the root of a folder is modified. But it does not update if a file in a sub-folder is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bobsagetfullhou, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Explorer attribute that shows when files in a sub-folder are modified

The "date modified" attribute only updates when a file in the root of a folder is modified. But it does not update if a file in a sub-folder is modified. Is there an attribute that will show when the contents of sub-folders are modified?

:)

bobsagetfullhou, Oct 7, 2018
  2. TracyFinn Win User

File Explorer Sort Customization

Louie - thank you for the feedback. However, I'm still struggling to accomplish my objective. I have extensive document files separated into folders with sub-folders and sub-sub-folders. Within each folder or sub-folder there are generally a dozen or more
    sub-sub folders and 50-200 files that are not grouped. In opening File Explorer, I'd like to see categories or folders listed above files and have each section listed by date modified. In other words, folders A - Z listed by date modified followed by files,
    again listed by date modified. Within each folder, sub-folders listed by date modified followed by files, again listed by date modified.

I've had success accomplishing this type of listing in prior versions of Windows but haven't gotten the hang of it in Windows 10. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you.

TracyFinn, Oct 7, 2018
  3. Change file attribute to 'unhide'

Hello Walt,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the attribute of any file/folder to unhide.

Step A: Show Hidden files

1. Open Windows Explorer(win logo key+E) or My computer.

2. Now click on View on top of the window.
    3. Untick ‘Hidden items’ in the options.

Step B: Change file attribute

1. Once the hidden file is located, right click on the file/folder you want to change the attribute for.

2. Go to ‘properties’, untick the box facing hidden.

3. Now, Click on ‘apply’ and then ‘ok’.

Hope it helps.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 7, 2018
  4. Explorer attribute that shows when files in a sub-folder are modified

How to Customize File Sharing Permissions to Create/Modify/Delete FILES... but not FOLDERS?

Hello. I need to customize a shared folder on my network so that one user (Reba) can create, append, modify, delete all FILES within that folder and subfolders... but Reba should not be able to create or delete the FOLDERS.

I've tested various configurations, and the closest I've been able to come is to create
    TWO sets of Advanced permissions for Reba:

1. The first instance of Reba, is ALLOWED, applied to "This folders and subfolders,"

• Traverse folder / execute file
    • List folder / read data
    • Read attributes
    • Read extended attributes
    • Create files / write data
    • Write attributes
    • Write extended attributes
    • Delete subfolders and files
    • Read permissions
    But Reba is DENIED permissions of:

• Full control
    • Create folders / append data
    • Delete
    • Change permissions
    • Take ownership

2. The second instance of Reba, is ALLOWED, applied to "Files Only:"

• Traverse folder / execute file
    • List folder / read data
    • Read attributes
    • Read extended attributes
    • Create files / write data
    • Create folders / append data
    • Write attributes
    • Write extended attributes
    • Delete subfolders and files
    • Delete
    • Read permissions
    But Reba is DENIED permissions of:

• Full control
    • Change permissions
    • Take ownership

The above configuration does deny Reba the ability to create folders/subfolders... but ALLOWs her to delete folders (which I do NOT want her to be able to do).

DMGonzalez-Web, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

Explorer attribute that shows when files in a sub-folder are modified

1. Explorer attribute that shows when files in a sub-folder are modified - Similar Threads - Explorer attribute shows

2. File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.: Dear Microsoft Wizards,I come to you with a tale of woe, a saga of time-displaced files and folders that have lost their way in the temporal vortex of Windows File Explorer. In an age where we can chat with AI, drive electric chariots, and binge-watch shows about dragons and...
  3. File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.: Dear Microsoft Wizards,I come to you with a tale of woe, a saga of time-displaced files and folders that have lost their way in the temporal vortex of Windows File Explorer. In an age where we can chat with AI, drive electric chariots, and binge-watch shows about dragons and...
  4. I want to show sub-folder documents in file explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    I want to show sub-folder documents in file explorer: I am setting up libraries in Windows 10 version 1909. In Windows 7 I had 4 top-level folder locations in my Documents library, most have subfolders. When I view my Document library in Windows 7 File Explorer, I display using Detail view, grouped and sorted by modified date....
  5. Is there a limit to the number of sub-folders File Explorer will display

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a limit to the number of sub-folders File Explorer will display: When I display the folders under the Documents folder that look like this <image...highlighted> [ATTACH] The sub-folder named PRIORITY TASKS isn't shown. Does File Explorer impose a limit on the number of sub-folder that it will display? [ATTACH] TIA for your suggestions....
  6. File Explorer Display Attributes

File Explorer Display Attributes: In Windows 10 file explorer you can display attributes for a file such as Name, #, Artist, Album etc. for example on an MP3 file. But when I add an additional attribute to the display such as contributing artist or when I sort on an attribute such as Album when I exit out of...
  7. Sort parent folders based on sub folder date modified order

Sort parent folders based on sub folder date modified order: When selecting Onedrive local storage to sort by date modified, it seems Windows take in to consideration only the immediate layer. 0th layer I guess. how to trigger parent folder modified date when the modification happens higher levels where layer is greater than 0....
  8. changing file and folder attributes

in Windows 10 Support
    changing file and folder attributes: Hi I have a large number of photos i need to tag, want to use the properties attributes, is there any way of changing the Location attribute, maybe an application ? Title & Subjest were easy....... Thanks 132033
  9. Setting folder and sub-folders properties in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting folder and sub-folders properties in file explorer: Hello, In the file explorer I have folders with pictures, music and videos. Each type is stores in a separate main folder and under it subfolders. In the main folder properties I customize it what columns I want to see, then I click to set the same to all subfolders, click...
  10. File Attributes - Shows as Hidden in DOS, shows as System in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    File Attributes - Shows as Hidden in DOS, shows as System in Explorer: I had a user complain he couldn't see (& delete) a lock file our program had created. I can find it in a command prompt, dir /ah (and NOT dir /as). In Explorer, Folder Options->View->Uncheck "Hide Protected operating System Files" which stops Explorer displaying files with...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows explorer date modified sub folders