Windows 10: Explorer continually deleting thumbnails cache

Discus and support Explorer continually deleting thumbnails cache in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I've got many photos to sort on a HDD in numerous folders. I found a software to recursively generate all preview thumbnails. When done, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by toto1er, Jul 19, 2019.

1. toto1er Win User

Explorer continually deleting thumbnails cache

Hello,
    I've got many photos to sort on a HDD in numerous folders. I found a software to recursively generate all preview thumbnails. When done, the cache is almost 2go. But when I restart my computer, more than half of the cache is deleted so I have to regenerate the cache once again. I know that W10 automatically clean the thumbnail cache, but why so quickly ? I tried to disable the auto cache clean schedule, but it doesn't work. W10 is still cleaning the cache all the time. I have plenty of disk space, so the cache size is no problem.
    How can I stop W10 from cleaning the cache continually ? Can an alternate file explorer help ?
    Thanx for reading and helping !

:)

toto1er, Jul 19, 2019
  2. Doverboy Win User
    Doverboy, Jul 19, 2019
  3. Bunchies Win User
    Thumbnail Cache

anyone know how to move the thumbnail cache to another HDD?

i already moved my temp folder to another HDD but thumbnail cache takes up space Fast, and i have having to erase the space cuzz i don't wanna ware down my SSD over time

i also just googled where the thumbnail cache is and its in the %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer ,But how would you go about moving that 1 Folder and having the system know that's its the new path

Bunchies, Jul 19, 2019
  4. Explorer continually deleting thumbnails cache

After Creators Update 2 thumbnails cache keeps auto-deleting

I have mastered this.

Go to my Article and read the May 2018 Update. I am revising it soon to make it easier to understand.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-965379fb91f0

Here is what I have done and stopped it long ago. This does not affect you system in a negative way whatsoever. My Thumbnail Caches are from 2GB to 3GB on all PC's I own.

UPDATED: MAY, 2018

I have thousands of thumbnails. Microsoftdeletes your thumbnail cache when it reaches about 700MB or lower in size. AllMy Home PC's are at about 2.1GB+ & My Business PC is at 2.9GB.

First, I have disabled and deleted many Task scheduler servicesthat I will show you later.

First, you have to disable and even remove some tasks.Microsoft had made the deleting your thumbnail cache almost redundant. Meaningone service with different users such as system, trusted installer, admins, etccan trigger another service and somehow still delete them. This is a well knownfact.

First you have to go to these 2 registry settings and changethe values to 0 which is off for disk clean up auto run for thumbnail caches. Iactually delete the registry auto run flags.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Thumbnai lCache

AutoRun>>Modify
    change value from 1 to 0
    ______
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCac hes\ThumbnailCache

AutoRun>>Modify
    change value from 1 to 0.

But Wait, this is not fool proof, the cache will get deleted.So I deleted the auto run entries in the registry above.

So in Task Scheduler
    All these have been disabled or deleted (After exporting backups). Doingthis has no negative effect on your system except for running maintenance,which can be done manually as these Tasks is what has many triggers for otherservices even when disabled or deleted. Gets tricky. I have spent lots of timeto finally get it to stop deleting them. There is no other article on the webthat has a solution that works. But this has for me so far.

ApplicationData- Disabled
    Diagnosis= DELETED
    Disk CleanUp = DELETED
    FileHistory = DELETED
    Maintenance= DELETED
    RemovalTools = DELETED
    WasSMedic= DELETED
    WDI =DELETED
    Wininet =DELETED
    WorkFolders = DELETED
    &Windows Defender 2 tasks
    A. WindowsDefender Cache Maintenance = DELETED
    B. WindowsDefender Cleanup = DELETED

Then I went to C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64
    And took "OWNERSHIP" of "cleanmgr.exe.mui"and "cleanmgr.exe"
    in both locations, which is the "Disk Cleanup Utility".

Removed all the Users, and then added myself (My USERACCOUNT) in the list with full permissions/control.

Then I renamed them
    cleanmgr.bak.mui
    cleanmgr.bak
    **This Disables Disk Cleanup**

**To Enable, Rename Files In both locations**
    cleanmgr.exe.mui
    cleanmgr.exe

Now when I want a disk clean up done, "I WILL RUNTHEM".

I also took ownership of these files and removed allusersexcept myself.
    C:\Windows\System32and C:\Windows\SysWOW64
    WinSATAPI.dll
    WinSATAPI.dll.mui

I also took ownership of these files and removed all usersexcept myself. (For other Purposes not really related to this, but I suspect itcan cause triggers to other tasks and services). It is all Redundant.
    C:\Windows\System32and C:\Windows\SysWOW64
    wininet.dll
    wininet.dll.mui
    wininetlui.dll.mui
    wininetlui.dll

It took all this to stop it from happening. They have madeit redundant and pretty much impossible to stop it happening no matter what hasbeen disabled, deleted and what not. It took all this to stop it.

**And I think this is the main key as if onlyyou are the owner of your “Explorer” folder and with only you in the list of userswith full permissions, then no system users can delete the caches. So for extra securityI went to:
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    Where your thumbnail and icon caches are located per user,
    took ownership of Explorer with full permissions
    and deleted all other users in the list except myself, whichI added.

**Also I copy and save abackup of the “Caches” Folder located here: C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Caches

Anytime you take ownership of an object, you must also thenadd your name in the list of users with FULL PERMISSIONS.

I have not since had them deleted.

If you never have more than about 500MB to 700MB, then theymay not get deleted. But upon cumulative updates and other updates they can bedeleted no matter how small cache size is if this is not done above.

And a Creators Pack will delete the cache no matter what.

But I save a back up of Explorer folder and copy andpaste cache back in to Explorer after creators packs to restore the cache. Butto do this, Sometimes you have to do a couple steps and use command prompt orsafe mode to restore thumbnail cache,

** or create a 2nduser account giving thataccount full permissions to your Explorer folder so you can log onto 2nd accountand replace your Explorer cache folder and the Caches folder while loggedonto the other account, as you cannot replace your explorer cache while loggedin and it is in use.

I also always have a SYSTEM IMAGE. The #1 MUST, when owninga Computer.

It was an obsession and I had to stop Windows fromdeleting the thumbnail cache. It finally paid off.

Seahawks65, Jul 19, 2019
Thema:

Explorer continually deleting thumbnails cache

1. Explorer continually deleting thumbnails cache - Similar Threads - Explorer continually deleting

2. Moving Thumbnail cache and stop Windows from deleting it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving Thumbnail cache and stop Windows from deleting it: Many users have encountered this issue over the years. Registry tweaks and scheduled task adjustments often fall short after a while. Fortunately I've found a workaround from Windows 7 which is somehow still working on Windows 10 and even 11, by adding the following...
  3. Moving Thumbnail cache and stop Windows from deleting it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Thumbnail cache and stop Windows from deleting it: Many users have encountered this issue over the years. Registry tweaks and scheduled task adjustments often fall short after a while. Fortunately I've found a workaround from Windows 7 which is somehow still working on Windows 10 and even 11, by adding the following...
  4. Moving Thumbnail cache and stop Windows from deleting it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 keeps deleting thumbnail cache

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 keeps deleting thumbnail cache: My thumbnail cache for everything is constantly being deleted. I can open up a folder with a few jpeg's, back arrow , and immediately return to the folder and all of the thumbnails have to reload again. It happens on every drive I have. It's happening on the drive the...
  6. Stop Windows Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stop Windows Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache: "Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10 - How to Stop Windows Auto Deleting the Thumbnail Cache" Updated June 2018 "Revised" I will first explain in a nut shell what I have did in this order to stop the thumbnail cache from being deleted. But, it might be possible to just take...
  7. Missing Icons and Thumbnails - Already tried deleting cache

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing Icons and Thumbnails - Already tried deleting cache: I have 2 computers that I recently rebuilt for 2 of our employees, and everything was working fine. Recently, we noticed that icons for several applications are all coming up as blank pages. Furthermore, icons that acted as thumbnails for JPG and PNG files (as an example) are...
  8. Thumbnail Cache - Prevent Windows from Deleting

Thumbnail Cache - Prevent Windows from Deleting: Hey guys, just made the upgrade from Win7 and I am wondering how to do this as the title suggests, I remember there being such a thing to do this here over at the sevenforums but this method is no longer working for Windows 10, so I am wondering if someone can please help me...
  9. Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache

Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache: Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache As most everyone knows, Windows 10 version, Microsoft is automatically deleting your thumbnail cache when it reaches about 500MB to 700Mb in size. This has made many thousands of people including myself IRATE loading all my...
  10. Prevent Windows 10 from Deleting Thumbnail Cache

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Prevent Windows 10 from Deleting Thumbnail Cache: How to: Prevent Windows 10 from Deleting Thumbnail Cache How to Prevent Windows 10 from Deleting Thumbnail Cache Windows keeps a copy of all your folder, picture, video, and document thumbnails in a cache so they can be reused to quickly display when you open a folder...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Stop Windows Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache