Windows 10: Explorer crashes, attempts self-restart, freezes

Discus and support Explorer crashes, attempts self-restart, freezes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After I click on a few windows after a long time after startup, explorer stops responding. It detects a crash and restarts itself. When it completes,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Clay566, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Clay566 Win User

Explorer crashes, attempts self-restart, freezes

After I click on a few windows after a long time after startup, explorer stops responding. It detects a crash and restarts itself. When it completes, this shows:

Explorer crashes, attempts self-restart, freezes [​IMG]

Only the main features of the taskbar show and no buttons work. When I hover over the taskbar the loading symbol shows like in the sketch (the arrow is the mouse).

(sorry for the bad picture, couldn't make a screenshot)

:)

Clay566, Sep 9, 2015
  2. Deygus Win User

File Explorer in Windows 10 keeps crashing

I have this problem as well and can confirm that it's an issue somewhere inside of Windows 10 and I have not yet found a fix for it either after several attempts. It happened after upgrading to Windows 10 even on a clean install of it a bit later on after
    having a crash where Win 10 failed on me for some odd reason. I've never had a file explorer issue with the previous version Win 8.1

Deygus, Sep 9, 2015
  3. File Explorer in Windows 10 keeps crashing

So after installing Windows 10, File Explorer keeps crashing

Say I'm looking in 2 folders at the same time, its a given that one of the folders will freeze, and control alt delete, restart windows explorer/file explorer is the only option.

Is there a fix for this?

skysimonephoto, Sep 9, 2015
Thema:

Explorer crashes, attempts self-restart, freezes

1. Explorer crashes, attempts self-restart, freezes - Similar Threads - Explorer crashes attempts

2. Attempting to access C:\ causes file explorer to freeze and crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Attempting to access C:\ causes file explorer to freeze and crash: If I right or left-click C:\ or any folder within it from quick access, file explorer freezes and crashes. I experienced this problem once before, and I reinstalled windows to fix it. I had chalked it up to a weird bug, but now it's happened twice in two weeks. The only weird...
  3. Attempting to access C:\ causes file explorer to freeze and crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Attempting to access C:\ causes file explorer to freeze and crash: If I right or left-click C:\ or any folder within it from quick access, file explorer freezes and crashes. I experienced this problem once before, and I reinstalled windows to fix it. I had chalked it up to a weird bug, but now it's happened twice in two weeks. The only weird...
  4. File Explorer crashes and freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes and freezes: For some reason, I clicked on the gallery icon at the top under the home icon, and then it asked me for something that I don't know what it was, but it needed administrator access. After that, I can't open any files at all. The files on the desktop are opening, even the...
  5. File Explorer crashes and freezes

File Explorer crashes and freezes: For some reason, I clicked on the gallery icon at the top under the home icon, and then it asked me for something that I don't know what it was, but it needed administrator access. After that, I can't open any files at all. The files on the desktop are opening, even the...
  6. Explorer crashes and restarts randomly

Explorer crashes and restarts randomly: HiMy explorer crashes and restarts randomly every 2-5 minutesIm using win 10 ver 21H1 19043.1706I'v tried DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, sfc /scannow,chkdsk /f /r /clear all temp filesscan for virusesClean startupNothing workedAny help please?...
  7. Explorer crashes and restarts randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer crashes and restarts randomly: HiMy explorer crashes and restarts randomly every 2-5 minutesIm using win 10 ver 21H1 19043.1706I'v tried DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, sfc /scannow,chkdsk /f /r /clear all temp filesscan for virusesClean startupNothing workedAny help please?...
  8. Attempting to delete video file causes File Explorer to freeze and crash

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Attempting to delete video file causes File Explorer to freeze and crash: I'm having trouble with 2 video files inside the C:\Users\$USER$\Pictures\Video Projects folder which is created by the Video Editor. [ATTACH] The first is the .avi file. Whatever I try to do to it rename/delete etc, File Explorer freezes and I need to restart it from...
  9. File explorer freezing and crashing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer freezing and crashing: My file explorer freezes whenever I try to click on a Microsoft Office file (powerpoint presentations, excel spreadsheets, word docs etc). It eventually crashes and restarts but I can never open office files from file explorer. In order to open files I have to use the open...
  10. Windows Explorer crashes/freezes.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer crashes/freezes.: Hello, I am experiencing an issue with my Windows 10 version. While using Chrome or Edge or Firefox when trying to use the Save as function Explorer tends to freeze up or crash my desktop. While having Task Manager open the HDD in use/saving to, is pinned at 100% with...