Windows 10: Explorer crashes constantly, and will not show changes within folders

Discus and support Explorer crashes constantly, and will not show changes within folders in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10. This issue started a few months ago - when I create a new folder, or change a name, or add or delete something from a folder,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Robert Kern, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Explorer crashes constantly, and will not show changes within folders

I'm running Windows 10. This issue started a few months ago - when I create a new folder, or change a name, or add or delete something from a folder, it does not show up unless I refresh, or close and re-open the folder. However a significant amount of the time when I refresh, or close a folder that has had a change, Explorer crashes, and has to fully restart. This happens about every 5 minutes or less if I'm actively working with files. Sometimes it gets so bad I can't even open a folder without it crashing. I've tried re-installing Explorer, I've tried re-installing Windows, and most recentl

:)

Robert Kern, Sep 14, 2022
  2. Anne Ros Win User

Explorer.exe crashing constantly

Hi Sophie,

There are several reasons why you've experienced the issue. If all the troubleshooting steps you found did not help, try disabling the Show recently used folders in Quick access and set Open file Explore to this PC. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • On the View tab, select Options drop-down arrow.
    • Choose Change folder and search options.
    • On General tab, click the drop-down arrow beside Open File Explorer to and select
      This PC.

We also suggest clearing File Explorer in history.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Anne Ros, Sep 14, 2022
  3. Explorer Crashes constantly - Work Folders

I just want to share a discovery to help anyone out there on the internet. Just giving back since these forums have helped me greatly over the years.

Problem:

The other day we migrated a user from Win7 to Win10. Whenever the user would logon, explorer would crash constantly and you couldn't do anything. However, if other users logged on it wasn't a problem. If that user logged onto a different Win10 system,
    the problem would follow him.

Solution:

We use Work Folders with Win10 anniversary addition at our company. We have had great success with Work Folders with a bump or two in the road but still very satisfied. It turns out, this person had a shortcut that pointed to an invalid network location
    that was trying to sync down to his Work Folders folder. I should also mention that we have redirected the desktop to point to a Desktop folder in Work Folders. For some reason I am unsure of, this shortcut was causing Explorer to crash. Since Work Folders
    was constantly trying to sync it down from the network, explorer was constantly crashing since the file copy was never successful. After identifying the problem shortcut and deleting it, the crashing has stopped.

Notes:

In event viewer, I not only saw explorer.exe crashing but also searchUI.exe.

I doubt anyone else will run into this very odd issue but if you do I hope this helps.

Rich Wright, Sep 14, 2022
  4. Explorer crashes constantly, and will not show changes within folders

Folder View settings constantly changing

Is there any way to stop Windows 10 from constantly changing my folder view settings. throughout the day I am constantly moving between different folders for work and am constantly changing the view settings. I like the detail view, apparently Microsoft
    does not and keeps changing to list, Large Icons, etc., etc.

Edward OConnor, Sep 14, 2022
Thema:

Explorer crashes constantly, and will not show changes within folders

1. Explorer crashes constantly, and will not show changes within folders - Similar Threads - Explorer crashes constantly

2. How to show all the nested folders within a folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to show all the nested folders within a folder: The guidance I have found online does not work. In Win11 File explorer I want to show the full tree of the folder structure without having to expand each of the first tier sub folders. Seems like a reasonable request, but cannot figure it out : The show all folders setting in...
  3. Explorer crashes constantly, and will not show changes within folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer crashes constantly, and will not show changes within folders: I'm running Windows 10. This issue started a few months ago - when I create a new folder, or change a name, or add or delete something from a folder, it does not show up unless I refresh, or close and re-open the folder. However a significant amount of the time when I...
  4. Explorer crashes constantly, and will not show changes within folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer crashes constantly, and will not show changes within folders: I'm running Windows 10. This issue started a few months ago - when I create a new folder, or change a name, or add or delete something from a folder, it does not show up unless I refresh, or close and re-open the folder. However a significant amount of the time when I...
  5. Windows Explorer crash constantly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer crash constantly: Hi this morning I turn on the PC and notice something strange then I decide to do a reset to 3 days before I do it and Explorer crashes constantly making the PC unusable, they do not open the settings I uninstalled also start all back but nothing the problem persists what can...
  6. Windows Explorer crash constantly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer crash constantly: Hi this morning I turn on the PC and notice something strange then I decide to do a reset to 3 days before I do it and Explorer crashes constantly making the PC unusable, they do not open the settings I uninstalled also start all back but nothing the problem persists what can...
  7. Windows Explorer constantly crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer constantly crashing: Hi all, I've been dealing with a problem of Explorer constantly crashing for the last day or two - if I attempt to open any file or folder within explorer, or a folder opens and it attempts to load information on that file, Windows Explorer crashes. If I attempt to right...
  8. Explorer Files and folders crashing and not showing Icons

Explorer Files and folders crashing and not showing Icons: A. When searching no images show just icons B. Crashes when searching or coping files over C. Won't respond. I have run scf/scannow no errors, I have run ever DISM tool I can find, again, no errors. I have done a clean boot, and again no change. I have reset the files...
  9. Changing the dates of sub folders within a folder

Changing the dates of sub folders within a folder: Hi How can I customize the dates of folders so I can sort them by those dates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-the-dates-of-sub-folders-within-a-folder/c5d8f607-ae28-4e89-85fb-1c16cf837cc0"
  10. File Explorer constantly crashing

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer constantly crashing: I am having a problem with file explorer constantly crashing. If I click on the icon in the toolbar, file explorer will open, it will say "working on it," but then it crashes, the screen flashes, and it goes back to the desktop. If I try to open a folder on the desktop, it...