Windows 10: Explorer crashes, when download a File with a long Name.

Discus and support Explorer crashes, when download a File with a long Name. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hallo, today i downloaded a cab File from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...l(R)%2082567LM , in the Download Folder. When i open the folder, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by catweazell, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Explorer crashes, when download a File with a long Name.

Hallo,
    today i downloaded a cab File from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...l(R)%2082567LM , in the Download Folder.
    When i open the folder, the explorer hangs and i can only finish the process. So that the explorer crashes. Original name of the file is 20613991_3082d54880f565bbb12fdbe448a9766021763815.cab ,
    If I rename it, I can open the folder without any problems.

Explorer crashes, when download a File with a long Name. [​IMG]

What is that for a strange Problem, This is also repeated with other cab files. My System is Win10 1909 build 18363.476 x64 and is very good. *Smile

:)

catweazell, Nov 22, 2019

2. Windows explore crash when searching

The tenforums link solved this issue for me.

The root cause is a Windows 10 bug where File Explorer crashes when long file names are included in a search result. The steps for the workaround are:

• Open File Explorer
    • Click View > Options
    • Open the View tab
    • Check "Always show icons, never thumbnails"
    • Click OK

The Benjamin Moore, Nov 22, 2019
  3. file explorer crashes

Effective Way to Solve the File Explorer Crashes Issue

You can try the following steps:

1. Tap down the Windows button first to activate the search bar.
    2. After that, in the search bar type control, and then click on the top-most search result, that is on Control Panel.
    3. Next, in the search bar type file.
    4. Now, from the search results click on File Explorer Options.
    5. Then, click on the Clean button.
    6. Lastly, click on Apply and then on OK.

References: https://www.****/knowledge/solved-windows-10-file-explorer-crash-easy-way/

JuanSmith2, Nov 22, 2019
  4. Explorer crashes, when download a File with a long Name.

About files with name too long

The problem in general is that if the file name itself is too long, then one can neither delete nor rename it, since File Explorer in Windows 10 crashes if you right click on the file name.

markreed_824, Nov 22, 2019
Thema:

Explorer crashes, when download a File with a long Name.

1. Explorer crashes, when download a File with a long Name. - Similar Threads - Explorer crashes download

2. "Downloads" pinned to Quick Start freezes Explorer when I download file with long name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Downloads" pinned to Quick Start freezes Explorer when I download file with long name: Hello everybody,When I download a file with a long name and try to access the "Downloads" folder pinned in Quick Access on Explorer, the program freezes. I have to go into the Task Manager and restart it. Then I have to navigate to Downloads from another way and rename that...
  3. "Downloads" pinned to Quick Start freezes Explorer when I download file with long name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Downloads" pinned to Quick Start freezes Explorer when I download file with long name: Hello everybody,When I download a file with a long name and try to access the "Downloads" folder pinned in Quick Access on Explorer, the program freezes. I have to go into the Task Manager and restart it. Then I have to navigate to Downloads from another way and rename that...
  4. Windows Explorer crashes when opening a long name network path

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer crashes when opening a long name network path: Hi,I know this is been asked before and I know a work-around is to disable showing previews instead of icons and making Explorer open to This PC instead of recents, but I don't want to use this method. I use previews a lot for work such as for photos and documents, and I...
  5. Windows Explorer crashes when opening a long name network path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer crashes when opening a long name network path: Hi,I know this is been asked before and I know a work-around is to disable showing previews instead of icons and making Explorer open to This PC instead of recents, but I don't want to use this method. I use previews a lot for work such as for photos and documents, and I...
  6. Windows Explorer crashes when opening a long name network path

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File explorer crashes when opening downloads folder

File explorer crashes when opening downloads folder: Hello,When I open file explorer, and I go to the downloads folder, the system app crashes. When it does, I have to stop it using task manager. It also causes other problems with the system, like my laptop screen going white, I have a monitor, and my taskbar not coming up, I...
  8. Enabling Long Path to Allow Files with Long Names in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enabling Long Path to Allow Files with Long Names in Windows 10 File Explorer: I’ve done the fixes suggested by the Microsoft Community: Setting the registry key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\LongPathsEnabled Type: REG_DWORD to 1 Adding Enable Win32 long paths in the Local Computer Policy: Computer...
  9. Unable to set long file names in File Explorer

Unable to set long file names in File Explorer: Hi Team, Good day, Let me introduce my self, my name is mr Dedi from Jakarta-Indonesia. I have problem to save file with a long name character in a folder. Everytime I have save the file with a long name character in a folder, once I want to open it, they can not be...
  10. Long File Name Crashes

in Windows 10 Support
    Long File Name Crashes: Hi, I appreciate that there are a lot of queries regarding the file names exceeding 260 characters, but when i try to open my folders to rename the files to shorter names I don't get the chance to do this as the window just shuts down again before I can do anything. Is there...