Windows 10: Explorer crashes, when download a File with a long Name.

Discus and support Explorer crashes, when download a File with a long Name. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hallo, today i downloaded a cab File from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...l(R)%2082567LM , in the Download Folder. When i open the folder, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by catweazell, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Explorer crashes, when download a File with a long Name.

Hallo,
    today i downloaded a cab File from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...l(R)%2082567LM , in the Download Folder.
    When i open the folder, the explorer hangs and i can only finish the process. So that the explorer crashes. Original name of the file is 20613991_3082d54880f565bbb12fdbe448a9766021763815.cab ,
    If I rename it, I can open the folder without any problems.

Explorer crashes, when download a File with a long Name. [​IMG]

What is that for a strange Problem, This is also repeated with other cab files. My System is Win10 1909 build 18363.476 x64 and is very good. *Smile

:)

catweazell, Nov 22, 2019

2. Windows explore crash when searching

The tenforums link solved this issue for me.

The root cause is a Windows 10 bug where File Explorer crashes when long file names are included in a search result. The steps for the workaround are:

• Open File Explorer
    • Click View > Options
    • Open the View tab
    • Check "Always show icons, never thumbnails"
    • Click OK

The Benjamin Moore, Nov 22, 2019
  3. file explorer crashes

Effective Way to Solve the File Explorer Crashes Issue

You can try the following steps:

1. Tap down the Windows button first to activate the search bar.
    2. After that, in the search bar type control, and then click on the top-most search result, that is on Control Panel.
    3. Next, in the search bar type file.
    4. Now, from the search results click on File Explorer Options.
    5. Then, click on the Clean button.
    6. Lastly, click on Apply and then on OK.

References: https://www.****/knowledge/solved-windows-10-file-explorer-crash-easy-way/

JuanSmith2, Nov 22, 2019
  4. Explorer crashes, when download a File with a long Name.

About files with name too long

The problem in general is that if the file name itself is too long, then one can neither delete nor rename it, since File Explorer in Windows 10 crashes if you right click on the file name.

markreed_824, Nov 22, 2019
Thema:

Explorer crashes, when download a File with a long Name.

1. Explorer crashes, when download a File with a long Name. - Similar Threads - Explorer crashes download

2. file name too long

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file name too long: how to resolve this issue in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-name-too-long/783521af-d0ec-410b-826e-67a50a90159c"
  3. Long File Name Crashes

in Windows 10 Support
    Long File Name Crashes: Hi, I appreciate that there are a lot of queries regarding the file names exceeding 260 characters, but when i try to open my folders to rename the files to shorter names I don't get the chance to do this as the window just shuts down again before I can do anything. Is there...
  4. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...
  5. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Customization
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...
  6. Problems with Long File Names

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problems with Long File Names: Hello I'am Tobias and I have a Problem with long File Names on a share, people used to create files and directories in Windows 7, some of them over 300 characters long. That was not a big problem back then. Now we have switched to Windows 10 and we now have a problem with...
  7. Name in File Explorer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Name in File Explorer: Since doing a clean install, my name in File Explorer/Users has changed. It is neither my first nor second name, just the first 5 letters/numbers of my Microsoft login name. It used to show my surname in Windows 7. Is is it possible to change it, please? 24628
  8. Win10 Home Explorer.exe Crashing with long file name folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Home Explorer.exe Crashing with long file name folders: This is kinda funny but i need to post this. whenever i tried to browse map drive and all folders have different sub folders and it has a long filenames also. When i tried to browse and locate the files under each folders when i finally locate the file (pdf file) when i open...
  9. File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying: Quite frankly I'm surprised no one has brought this up (or I am using the wrong search terms). When copying files in explorer, Windows 7 (I can't remember anything older than that LOL) I am asked what I want to do with copying files that have the same name as existing files...
  10. File Explorer crash when selecting files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer crash when selecting files: Hi Guys, I have encountered this problem (in thread line) for the past 3-5 days and I have come no closer to any solution during that period of time. Basically, as soon as I left click or right click on a file in Windows Explorer it will crash. My Windows icon in the...