Windows 10: Explorer crashes whenever I copy a file

Discus and support Explorer crashes whenever I copy a file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was having issues so I did a fresh install on Windows 10 Professional and make sure I had all of the updates. Now when I copy and paste a file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cgrim1985, Dec 8, 2020.

1. cgrim1985 Win User

Explorer crashes whenever I copy a file

I was having issues so I did a fresh install on Windows 10 Professional and make sure I had all of the updates. Now when I copy and paste a file somewhere, move a file or create a shortcut it causes explorer to crash and I'm not sure why as I haven't modified any system files. I'm using Windows 10 Professional version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.685)

:)

cgrim1985, Dec 8, 2020

2. file explorer crashes

Effective Way to Solve the File Explorer Crashes Issue

You can try the following steps:

1. Tap down the Windows button first to activate the search bar.
    2. After that, in the search bar type control, and then click on the top-most search result, that is on Control Panel.
    3. Next, in the search bar type file.
    4. Now, from the search results click on File Explorer Options.
    5. Then, click on the Clean button.
    6. Lastly, click on Apply and then on OK.

References: https://www.****/knowledge/solved-windows-10-file-explorer-crash-easy-way/

JuanSmith2, Dec 8, 2020
  3. temp02 Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Dec 8, 2020
  4. Gencijs Win User

File explorer keeps crashing in Win 10

Hello,

I did the steps you wrote. All the settings were as you suggested. The File Explorer keeps crashing.

Gencijs, Dec 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Explorer crashes whenever I copy a file - Similar Threads - Explorer crashes whenever

2. computer crashes whenever i try to copy and paste anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer crashes whenever i try to copy and paste anything: I get the message whenever I try. i cant do any copying or pasting of any kind. processor: intel core i-5 9400F 2.90ghzram: 8gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-crashes-whenever-i-try-to-copy-and-paste/49aeef63-fedc-4841-be73-07e78858b0ff
  3. computer crashes whenever i try to copy and paste anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    computer crashes whenever i try to copy and paste anything: I get the message whenever I try. i cant do any copying or pasting of any kind. processor: intel core i-5 9400F 2.90ghzram: 8gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-crashes-whenever-i-try-to-copy-and-paste/49aeef63-fedc-4841-be73-07e78858b0ff
  4. Copy crashes windows explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy crashes windows explorer: When copying or cutting in windows explorer all open explorer windows close on pasting.Drag and drop still works fine.I have run a virus check.Checked Reliability and this started after three windows...
  5. Whenever I right click on a program in file explorer it crashes

Whenever I right click on a program in file explorer it crashes: So if I go on File Explorer and I wanna right click on a program File Explorer just crashes, and it's pretty annoying here is a video: https://streamable.com/zq92ea I hate this because I can barely do anything. Please help....
  6. Copying files in File Explorer

Copying files in File Explorer: Copying files in File Explorer is not working as expected. When I am trying to copy several files, it closes down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-files-in-file-explorer/05006916-943f-467b-ab5d-6043e51ce79d
  7. Windows File Explorer crashes whenever I open a file containing a playlist of mp3 files

Windows File Explorer crashes whenever I open a file containing a playlist of mp3 files: I purchased a playlist of songs from one of my favorite artists to support them and get a high-quality version of their most recent album. I downloaded all of the individual mp3 files of the songs after paying for them, and whenever I try to access the folder that I created...
  8. Network File Copies and Moves Crash File Explorer

Network File Copies and Moves Crash File Explorer: Everytime I try to move or copy any files from a mapped network share, it crashes out the file explorer. Anyone have any ideas on what can be causing this? The OS is Windows 10 Pro, the network share is on a Synology NAS box. Thank you 70147
  9. Windows Explorer crashes whenever I right click on a file

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I right click on a file: Hi all! I just upgraded to Windows 10 a week ago and so far I haven't had any troubles with it. However, to my surprise, I encountered a problem that is rather annoying to deal with. Just now I was about to check the file size of a certain document, but when I right clicked...
  10. Explorer crashes whenever I open a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer crashes whenever I open a folder: Hello, I have been having a problem recently where whenever I try to open a folder explorer crashes and reloads, making it unusable. I'm sick of having to use 7-zip, which is not meant to be used for browsing files, to browse files. Event logs says that the problem is...