Windows 10: Explorer crashes whenever I open a folder

Discus and support Explorer crashes whenever I open a folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have been having a problem recently where whenever I try to open a folder explorer crashes and reloads, making it unusable. I'm sick of having... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by fdsr1, Oct 29, 2016.

1. fdsr1 Win User

Explorer crashes whenever I open a folder

Hello, I have been having a problem recently where whenever I try to open a folder explorer crashes and reloads, making it unusable. I'm sick of having to use 7-zip, which is not meant to be used for browsing files, to browse files. Event logs says that the problem is dwmapi.dll. The exact output of the error is displayed here:

Code: Faulting application name: Explorer.exe, version: 10.0.14393.206, time stamp: 0x57dacb32Faulting module name: dwmapi.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x55eb3fbe Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x0000000000004278 Faulting process ID: 0x140 Faulting application start time: 0x01d23296b50aabe7 Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\dwmapi.dll Report ID: a918e2dd-04c6-4e9a-afd6-0446302a78c6 Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID:[/quote]

:)

fdsr1, Oct 29, 2016

2. Windows 10 file explorer not working.

I can't open File Explorer, like I said. Whenever I try and open it it just crashes.

FraserClark, Oct 29, 2016
  3. docdoor Win User
    File explore crashes

Windows 10, File explore crashes whenever I right click on a folder to (in this case) add a folder in my pictures folder. This has just started today I have never had a problem in the past.

docdoor, Oct 29, 2016
  4. ff19 Win User

I'm having exact crash problem, and it happens on mostly Metro apps.

I have tried to make a crash dump, and got the crash point:

Code: dwmapi!DwmExtendFrameIntoClientArea:00007ffc`1fcc4278 0022 add byte ptr [rdx],ah ds:00000000`189df758=00[/quote] I'm using OldNewExplorer as a workaround to use explorer as file browser, by removing the ribbon UI.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, suggest you start with the basics:
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

Then from an admin command prompt run
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and post a summary of the results.

Please add to your specs the type of laptop, your Windows build number (currently 14393.447) - obtained by Windows key + R, winver, and whether Home, Pro or other, and your disk details (min SSD/HDD).

(See mine for comparison)

Thanks.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Explorer crashes whenever I open a folder - Similar Threads - Explorer crashes whenever

2. Whenever I open any Folder in File Explorer, the tab goes to Not Responding and crashes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whenever I open any Folder in File Explorer, the tab goes to Not Responding and crashes.: I am on a Windows 11 PC and this is making it so I cannot access any of my files. I have tried restarting both the file explorer and my computer various times as well as when I try to recover to a recent backup, I am met with a 0x80070017 error. I have two recovery dates...
  3. Whenever I open any Folder in File Explorer, the tab goes to Not Responding and crashes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Whenever I open any Folder in File Explorer, the tab goes to Not Responding and crashes.: I am on a Windows 11 PC and this is making it so I cannot access any of my files. I have tried restarting both the file explorer and my computer various times as well as when I try to recover to a recent backup, I am met with a 0x80070017 error. I have two recovery dates...
  4. explorer crashes everytime i try to open a folder

explorer crashes everytime i try to open a folder: Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview 22H2 23536.1000 AppName Explorer.EXE AppVersion 10.0.23536.1000 AppTimeStamp 99338d8e ModuleName explorerframe.dll ModuleVersion 10.0.23536.1000 ModuleTimeStamp db47a7b7 ExceptionCode c000041d FaultingOffset 000000000008778d ProcessId 0x23f0...
  5. explorer crashes everytime i try to open a folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    explorer crashes everytime i try to open a folder: Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview 22H2 23536.1000 AppName Explorer.EXE AppVersion 10.0.23536.1000 AppTimeStamp 99338d8e ModuleName explorerframe.dll ModuleVersion 10.0.23536.1000 ModuleTimeStamp db47a7b7 ExceptionCode c000041d FaultingOffset 000000000008778d ProcessId 0x23f0...
  6. File explorer crashes whenever zipped folders are single clicked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer crashes whenever zipped folders are single clicked: File explorer crashes whenever zipped folders are single clicked. Perhaps related, a taskbar pinned file explorer icon crashes file explorer whenever clicked as well. SourceWindows ExplorerSummaryStopped workingDate‎5/‎7/‎2023 2:06 PMStatusReport sentDescriptionFaulting...
  7. File explorer crashes whenever zipped folders are single clicked

File explorer crashes whenever zipped folders are single clicked: File explorer crashes whenever zipped folders are single clicked. Perhaps related, a taskbar pinned file explorer icon crashes file explorer whenever clicked as well. SourceWindows ExplorerSummaryStopped workingDate‎5/‎7/‎2023 2:06 PMStatusReport sentDescriptionFaulting...
  8. file explorere crashes whenever i try to open a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorere crashes whenever i try to open a folder: whenever i try to open specific folders or apps the loading cursor icon appears and file explorer stops working.I always have task manage open so i just restart it from there.i noticed it only happens when trying to open Spotify. I can't even right click on it to delete it...
  9. Explorer crashes whenever I copy a file

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer crashes whenever I copy a file: I was having issues so I did a fresh install on Windows 10 Professional and make sure I had all of the updates. Now when I copy and paste a file somewhere, move a file or create a shortcut it causes explorer to crash and I'm not sure why as I haven't modified any system...
  10. Start Menu not opening, Explorer refreshes whenever folders are opened and said folders...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu not opening, Explorer refreshes whenever folders are opened and said folders...: Genuine Windows 10, came with Asus Zenbook. Since yesterday, I can't save anything, as the "save" browser box doesn't open. As soon as I open any folders, explorer refreshes and said folder is closed instantly. Also, the Start Menu doesn't open. Tried running MalwareBytes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows crashes when i open a folder

2. whenever i change the size of my folder my folder freezes

3. my folder freezes whenever i change the sise