Windows 10: Explorer crashes

Discus and support Explorer crashes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm getting explorer crashes when I click on some desktop shortcuts(This PC, control pannel, and a folder shortcut). It seems to happen randomly. I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kerry4444, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Kerry4444 Win User

Explorer crashes

I'm getting explorer crashes when I click on some desktop shortcuts(This PC, control pannel, and a folder shortcut). It seems to happen randomly. I can get it to replicate almost all the time if I go to the event viewer first then click on these shortcuts. In the error log it said application pop up, a net framework error, and the shell unexpectically quit. Anybody got any idea what's causing this?

:)

Kerry4444, Aug 29, 2016
  2. StuMac52 Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer Crashing and Restarting On All 4 Of My Computers

I began using Explorer++ because File Explorer is near unusable. Unfortunately, it wasn't perfect either because it still caused explorer to crash when Explorer++ would use File Explorer or shell functions. When I did a re-install of Windows 10, I did not
    install Explorer++ until File Explorer started failing. For test purposes, I've delete Explorer++ it and cleaned up the registry (there's no install/uninstall app).

When I open "Recent Items" in %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows, explorer crashes.

In Safe Mode, opening Recent Items does not cause explorer to crash however, it still crashes when creation a folder and still shows double libraries etc.

StuMac52, Aug 29, 2016
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 29, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

Explorer crashes

I don't know the cause but try running sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt.

Steve C, Aug 29, 2016
  5. Kerry4444 Win User
    That was the first thing I tried.

Kerry4444, Aug 29, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hello, basic diagnosis:
    1. Does this happen in Safe Mode?
    2. Does this happen after a clean boot?
    3. Does this happen if you create a new user for test purposes?
    4. Download and run Shellexview (free).
    Hide all MS extensions
    Disable all others noting the 32 bit option which exposes more.
    Does it happen then?
    5. Does the event log report of the crash offer any useful info?

dalchina, Aug 29, 2016
  7. Have you run any privacy related tool?

Download bat and run it as admin, when it asks what to remove, select everything.

TairikuOkami, Aug 29, 2016
  8. Kerry4444 Win User

Explorer crashes

I'll try these today. Thanks....
    Who made this bat file? From what I can see in notepad++ it seems like it should help?

Kerry4444, Aug 29, 2016
  9. I put it quickly together to deal with the most common issues with explorer.

The most interesting one is, that Windows deals icons and Windows GUI as apps. So when apptimeout is too low and "app" takes long to load, especially on a slow computer, Windows will consider it as a crash, I have found out by accident.

TairikuOkami, Aug 29, 2016
  10. Kerry4444 Win User
    Cool. I'll try it out. Looks well thought out and designed. What did you use, Dr. Batcher?

Kerry4444, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Explorer crashes

1. Explorer crashes - Similar Threads - Explorer crashes

2. Explorer keeps crashing

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer keeps crashing: I'll be using my computer then every once in a while explorer will crash and then display the message below and then restart explorer. I'm not sure what is causing it or how to make explorer quit crashing. Error Message: The instruction at 0x0000000002930FD8 referenced...
  3. Windows explorer Crashing since 22/072021

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows explorer Crashing since 22/072021: Hello, I need help. I do have a surface studio and after the latest updates the screen is flickering blue and the mouse pointer is "thinking" Does not allow to perform any actions and slows down in the starting process.All this happen after i downloaded a pdf not a virus it...
  4. File Explorer crashes when attempting to copy files from camera

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer crashes when attempting to copy files from camera: I have been trying to copy files from my digital camera but when I attempt to paste in a local folder, File Explorer crashes and refuses to allow me to make the transfer. This has happened several times recently over multiple days I have restarted the computer several times....
  5. My Windows Explorer Keeps Crashing When Opening A File Thanks To " KERNELBASE.dll"

My Windows Explorer Keeps Crashing When Opening A File Thanks To " KERNELBASE.dll": When Opening A File Sometimes My Entire PC Will Restart Windows Explorer. I Looked In Event Viewer And Got This Error.Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.19041.1110, time stamp: 0xe86d289eFaulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1110, time...
  6. Windows Explorer crashes when opening pics or vidsH

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer crashes when opening pics or vidsH: Hi,I am experiencing a massive issue with my laptop. Every single time I try to open or select/drag or press right-click on a picture or video file it crashes directly. All the pictures or videos don't show anymore the thumbnail and some of them have even a complete blank...
  7. File Explorer keeps crashing

File Explorer keeps crashing: It works fine normally, but once I open a few folders containing photos, it freezes for about 5 secs and crashes.The folders do contain special characters, is there any way to get past this?...
  8. my windows explorer crashes

my windows explorer crashes: Every time I want to print a photo from my surface pro 4, the windows explorer crashes Is there a way to fix this issues. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-windows-explorer-crashes/bda5d5bd-4dec-499c-9deb-13f7abd4f954
  9. My Explorer is crashing and not loading on restart

My Explorer is crashing and not loading on restart: Windows Explorer is not loading on restart . Start menu doesn't start . Restarting explorer makes the system work normally Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, , time stamp: 0xa0f1a2fcFaulting module name: twinui.pcshell.dll, , time stamp: 0x78fc8e3aException code:...
  10. Windows 10 Explorer crashes when clicking on Task View

Windows 10 Explorer crashes when clicking on Task View: Hi,Windows Explorer is crashing randomly when I click on the TaskView button in the TaskBar. I already found a topic here saying I should create a user mode dump file, and I did. However I cannot analyze it myself.Here is the dump file:...