Windows 10: Explorer crashing every alt tab

Discus and support Explorer crashing every alt tab in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, My explorer.exe keeps crashing every time I Alt+tab. Due to the attached event-log I've narrowed it down to the display driver, but I cannot seem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by D. Lund, Jul 29, 2020.

1. D. Lund Win User

Explorer crashing every alt tab

Hi,
    My explorer.exe keeps crashing every time I Alt+tab. Due to the attached event-log I've narrowed it down to the display driver, but I cannot seem to get rid of it. I've tried uninstalling the displaydriver with DDU and then reinstalling different version of the graphics driver. I've reinstalled windows 10 while keeping apps and files in place. I've updated my chipset driver, but nothing seems to help.
    Does anyone have a clue?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rHkMzNRdEWRyAqFqhOeEB8nzznlHuHf3/view?usp=sharing

:)

D. Lund, Jul 29, 2020
  2. Polarman Win User

alt + tab not working

Alt-Tabbing in & out of games does not always work. It can also crash games in some cases.

Polarman, Jul 29, 2020
  3. Alt + Tab = Crash

Good evening,

It appears that Windows 10 keeps crashing whenever I Alt + Tab out of a game and then attempt to go back in. When I Alt + Tab back in I'm met with a black screen. Then Windows 10 freeze and I can't do anything.

Steps to reproduce:

(1) Start game

(2) Alt + Tab out

(3) Do whatever in Windows 10

(4) Alt + Tab back in

>>>Black screen

(5a) Ctrl + Alt + Delete to end process of game

(6a) No clickable buttons in Windows 10 (can't even shut down)

(5b) Ctrl + Alt + Delete

(6b) Shut down (just spins indefinitely and doesn't actually shut down)

This is a on a brand new copy of Windows 10 (not an upgrade). My current specifications are below:

-MSI SLI Plus X99 Motherboard

-16 GBs 2800 MHz RAM

-2x NVIDIA Titan X GPUs

-512 GB M2 SSD

-1600w EVGA PSU

Please advise on what is happening and if this will be fixed soon.

David_Compart, Jul 29, 2020
  4. Explorer crashing every alt tab

alt tabbing increases system performance?

Alt+tab often forces the game to reinitialize the DirectX renderer. It's likely an opportunity to reattempt to start SLI/Crossfire if it didn't start with the game.

Mind you, alt+tab is as likely to cause the game to crash as it is to improve performance. Some games support it, some don't, and some are somewhere in between.

FordGT90Concept, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

Explorer crashing every alt tab

1. Explorer crashing every alt tab - Similar Threads - Explorer crashing every

2. My pc crashes black screen every time I alt + tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc crashes black screen every time I alt + tab: Hello! As the title says, I crash every time I alt + tab while playing a game. This is not a BSOD and it straight up just goes black screen randomly. This has been occurring for the past 3 months. It also sometimes happens when I open a game. Does anyone know what the issue...
  3. My pc crashes black screen every time I alt + tab

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My pc crashes black screen every time I alt + tab: Hello! As the title says, I crash every time I alt + tab while playing a game. This is not a BSOD and it straight up just goes black screen randomly. This has been occurring for the past 3 months. It also sometimes happens when I open a game. Does anyone know what the issue...
  4. My pc crashes black screen every time I alt + tab

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Alt+Tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt+Tab: Hai.While using the Alt+Tab feature, I would like to hide certain windows from appearing in it. Because, I use two screens for multi tasking and have certain windows idly open. This makes the Alt+tab too clumsy and difficult to choose the app that I need. Any suggestions...
  6. Alt+Tab

Alt+Tab: Hai.While using the Alt+Tab feature, I would like to hide certain windows from appearing in it. Because, I use two screens for multi tasking and have certain windows idly open. This makes the Alt+tab too clumsy and difficult to choose the app that I need. Any suggestions...
  7. Alt+Tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt+Tab: This should have been so simple. How do I switch between the last two open windows/apps I've viewed/used with the new advanced Windows 11?My Windows 10 easily switched between the last two windows with Alt+Tab. Alt+Tab in Windows 11 shows all the windows I have opened and...
  8. Alt+Tab

Alt+Tab: This should have been so simple. How do I switch between the last two open windows/apps I've viewed/used with the new advanced Windows 11?My Windows 10 easily switched between the last two windows with Alt+Tab. Alt+Tab in Windows 11 shows all the windows I have opened and...
  9. Alt + Tab crashes Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Alt + Tab crashes Windows Explorer: Since oneweek my Windows Explorer crashes when I make Alt + Tab. The eventlog shows the following message: Application:explorer.exe Frameworkversion: v4.0.30319 Description:The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exceptioninformation: Exception code...
  10. Since 2004, explorer crashes on alt-tab

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Since 2004, explorer crashes on alt-tab: Hi, I have a problem now since updating to May 2004 Update, which is that the explorer frequently crashes when alt-tabbing between processes. I had this problem one or two years ago already and essentially fixed it by checking the option to run each window in its own process...