Windows 10: Explorer crashing when opening images

Discus and support Explorer crashing when opening images in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Sometimes when I try opening an image it completely freezes, opens up empty, struggles to be closed etc... and ends up crashing the entire explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/lujiga, Mar 29, 2021.

1. /u/lujiga Win User

Explorer crashing when opening images

Sometimes when I try opening an image it completely freezes, opens up empty, struggles to be closed etc... and ends up crashing the entire explorer (the taskbar resets etc.) and then it's all good to go. I had this problem on my previous computer too and just recently got a new one, but the problem persists.

How do I fix this?

submitted by /u/lujiga
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/lujiga, Mar 29, 2021
  2. Anne Ros Win User

Windows Explorer Crash

Thank you for your reply. If the above steps did not work, let's try another workaround. You can try restarting your Windows Explorer from the Task Manager and see if it will resolve the issue. Follow the steps below:

• Open Task Manager.
    • Click the drop-down arrow beside More details.
    • Under Processes tab, look for Windows Explorer from the list.
    • Select Windows Explorer, right-click on it and select Restart.

After doing so, open Windows Explorer and see if it will crash again.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Anne Ros, Mar 29, 2021
  3. vinceip Win User
    Explorer Crash FIX!

Our old Dell Inspiron N5110 got this problem also.
    Taskbar keeps refreshing. Thanks many hints from guys above pointed me the direction to fix it.
    From Reliability History Monitor I found Explorer keeps crashing because of IDTNC64.CPL (type reliability history at Start)
    1. the issue was from IDTNC64.cpl, the sound driver,
    but I could not successfully to uninstall it from device manager nor control panel or rename the file or the folder.
    2. uninstalled High Definition Audio Device few times, problem remain
    3. tried to uninstall within Control Panel > Program file, yet Control Panel only open 2, 3 seconds then closed automatically.
    4. finally solved Control Panel shut down problem by going to msconfig>services>and disable Windows Error Reporting Service. see below sequence:
    Click window + R keys, type msconfig, Enter to open msconfig, click Services Tag and look for Windows Error Reporting Service. Unchecked it, then apply, ok then reboot system when it suggests.
    5. After this, open Control Panel by clicking Start > type Control Panel. Then my Control Panel open and stay put, won't shut down by itself.
    6. In Control Panel > Programs > I found IDT Audio and successfully to uninstall it.
    7. No more taskbar refresh or Windows Explore shut down after uninstalled IDT and Sound still works great!!!
    8. repeat step 4 to check Windows Error Reporting Services by clicking it. OK then follow system suggestion to reboot.
    9. Control Panel still able to open and remain open. Sound still works and no more refresh.
    10. From Reliability History monitor found no more Windows Explorer crashing.
    I am happy and hope above steps help

vinceip, Mar 29, 2021
  4. Zero Ice Win User

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

So, I open up My Computer, open my F Drive and boom: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close". It is really annoying! I am fine everywhere else in explorer, but something just screws up when I try the external HDD (USB) or my thumb drive.

Can anyone help?

Zero Ice, Mar 29, 2021
Thema:

1. Explorer crashing when opening images - Similar Threads - Explorer crashing opening

2. Explorer crashes when opened or when right click.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer crashes when opened or when right click.: Whenever I open Explorer from "win+e", the start menu or the command prompt shows a window and then crashes. I checked the event viewer and it shows these errors in the "Application" logs:Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.26052.1000, time stamp:...
  3. Explorer crashes when opened or when right click.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer crashes when opened or when right click.: Whenever I open Explorer from "win+e", the start menu or the command prompt shows a window and then crashes. I checked the event viewer and it shows these errors in the "Application" logs:Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.26052.1000, time stamp:...
  4. Explorer.exe is crashing when file explorer is opened

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer.exe is crashing when file explorer is opened: I have windows11 22H2, today my file explorer stopped working, when i open it it just hangs and doesn't load the path section and then crashes explorer.exe, is there any way i can find out what causes this without reinstalling windows?Faulting application name: explorer.exe,...
  5. Explorer.exe is crashing when file explorer is opened

Explorer.exe is crashing when file explorer is opened: I have windows11 22H2, today my file explorer stopped working, when i open it it just hangs and doesn't load the path section and then crashes explorer.exe, is there any way i can find out what causes this without reinstalling windows?Faulting application name: explorer.exe,...
  6. Windows Explore crashes when an image file is selected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explore crashes when an image file is selected: When I click on an image file,in Explorer, .jpg,etc. An hour glass appears, then Explorer crashes, and returns me to the desktop. I've tried sfc and restore image online. It did not make any difference. What should I do now?...
  7. Windows Explore crashes when an image file is selected

Windows Explore crashes when an image file is selected: When I click on an image file,in Explorer, .jpg,etc. An hour glass appears, then Explorer crashes, and returns me to the desktop. I've tried sfc and restore image online. It did not make any difference. What should I do now?...
  8. Certain image that crashes explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Certain image that crashes explorer: I have this .heic file on my desktop that crashes explorer whenever i right or left click it. I can drag it around but it doesnt move. Does anyone know what’s happening? submitted by /u/Boristhebongodrum [link] [comments]...
  9. Explorer randomly crashing when using open with.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer randomly crashing when using open with.: Running 1909, but my computer has been doing this since 1809. whenever i select open with from the right click menu, explorer shits the bed and i'm left with no working icons. doesn't always happen though, only at random. ie: some days, open with works fine, then a few...
  10. Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer: i think it happens when i stress out my pc too much, but the thing is, it seems that even opening explorer (mycomputer, other folders) triggers it, and i dont think that should happen. when it does, it keeps rebooting, sometimes for 20 minutes. it doesnt get to the windows...