Windows 10: Explorer Crashing

Discus and support Explorer Crashing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Thankfully I didn't have to do that (particularly with my recent experience having to do it 2 weeks ago). Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ericnixmd, Apr 4, 2018.

1. ericnixmd Win User

Explorer Crashing

Thankfully I didn't have to do that (particularly with my recent experience having to do it 2 weeks ago).

ericnixmd, Apr 4, 2018
  2. ericnixmd Win User

I'm having issues with 1803 where Explorer is crashing. My desktop background will go away, icons go away, start menu/taskbar doesn't show. After a few seconds, it reappears.

This is a fresh install on a newly formatted hard disk.

:)

ericnixmd, Apr 30, 2018
  3. StuMac52 Win User
    Windows 10 File Explorer Crashing and Restarting On All 4 Of My Computers

I began using Explorer++ because File Explorer is near unusable. Unfortunately, it wasn't perfect either because it still caused explorer to crash when Explorer++ would use File Explorer or shell functions. When I did a re-install of Windows 10, I did not
    install Explorer++ until File Explorer started failing. For test purposes, I've delete Explorer++ it and cleaned up the registry (there's no install/uninstall app).

When I open "Recent Items" in %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows, explorer crashes.

In Safe Mode, opening Recent Items does not cause explorer to crash however, it still crashes when creation a folder and still shows double libraries etc.

StuMac52, Apr 30, 2018
  4. Explorer Crashing

Ramesh Srinivasan, Apr 30, 2018
  5. jrolson Win User
    First, run Command Prompt as admin, type sfc /scannow to check for any corrupt system files.

Could be one of your drivers doesn't play nice with 1803.
    You can use a program like Driver Booster to check for driver updates.

Also, you can use Process Hacker to see what programs are using explorer.exe

jrolson, Apr 30, 2018
  6. ericnixmd Win User
    I did that and sfc didn't show anything.

I think it was the Carbonite app that caused it. I had canceled the installation, and it first occurred with it. After reinstalling it, things are ok now.

ericnixmd, Apr 30, 2018
  7. EdTittel Win User
    Just a general observation, perhaps unrelated to your recent Explorer woes: Sometimes, applications that tie into system services like the Volume Shadow Copy Service (important to all forms of backup, including Carbonite) don't do well when taken through an upgrade. Your uninstall/reinstall approach is exactly right for attempting to troubleshoot such things. Many folks uninstall 3rd-party AV/antimalware packages before an upgrade for that same general reason (such tools tie deeply into the file system to block "bad stuff" from finding its way in), then reinstall them when the upgrade is complete.
    Good work!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 1, 2018
  8. ericnixmd Win User

Explorer Crashing

@EdTittel I did a clean install (due to the issues with my username directory change causing QuickBooks to lock up and not being able to uninstall/reinstall a copy). I was in the process of installing Carbonite, but then canceled it for some reason I can't remember. That's when the issue started. It resolved after I ran the Carbonite installer again and actually installed the program.

ericnixmd, May 1, 2018
  9. EdTittel Win User
    Thanks for the explanation, @ericnixmd. Sounds like something did get knocked sideways. Reinstalling the app apparently straightened things back up. Lucky for you! Otherwise, you might have had to do an in-place upgrade repair install or (worst case) another clean install.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 2, 2018
Thema:

Explorer Crashing

1. Explorer Crashing - Similar Threads - Explorer Crashing

2. Control Panel/Explorer crashes when opening Get Programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Control Panel/Explorer crashes when opening Get Programs: We have been gradually deploying Windows 11 within our environment and have run into an issue with the control panel. We deploy self service application installs via GPO with User Configuration > Policies > Software Settings > Software Installations. On Windows 10 it works...
  3. Control Panel/Explorer crashes when opening Get Programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Control Panel/Explorer crashes when opening Get Programs: We have been gradually deploying Windows 11 within our environment and have run into an issue with the control panel. We deploy self service application installs via GPO with User Configuration > Policies > Software Settings > Software Installations. On Windows 10 it works...
  4. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click: When I'm in File Explorer and have a selection of files highlighted, I right click for the context menu, but as soon as I select the 'Show More Option' item within that menu, File Explorer pauses for a second, force closes and promptly restarts.I have tried clearing the File...
  5. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click: When I'm in File Explorer and have a selection of files highlighted, I right click for the context menu, but as soon as I select the 'Show More Option' item within that menu, File Explorer pauses for a second, force closes and promptly restarts....
  6. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click: When I'm in File Explorer and have a selection of files highlighted, I right click for the context menu, but as soon as I select the 'Show More Option' item within that menu, File Explorer pauses for a second, force closes and promptly restarts....
  7. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click: When I'm in File Explorer and have a selection of files highlighted, I right click for the context menu, but as soon as I select the 'Show More Option' item within that menu, File Explorer pauses for a second, force closes and promptly restarts.I have tried clearing the File...
  8. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

9. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click

10. File Explorer crashes when using 'Show More Options' on Right Click