Windows 10: Explorer delay while typing for folder name

Discus and support Explorer delay while typing for folder name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When you are in explorer, you can type the letters and numbers of the folder you are looking for. If you pause it will forget what you typed and start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by StevenBethke, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Explorer delay while typing for folder name

When you are in explorer, you can type the letters and numbers of the folder you are looking for. If you pause it will forget what you typed and start over. I want to increase this pause delay(so I can look at the paper that has the information on it). I have looked all around and cannot find this information.

Any help?

Steven

:)

StevenBethke, Feb 5, 2019
  2. ElleTea Win User

File Explorer - unable to filter by some headings (name, type, folder path)

File Explorer - unable to filter by some headings (name, type, folder path)

Searched the forums for hours and see that others have the same issue, but I didn't find any solution.

I want to find all files that were modified in the last year contained within a folder and all it's sub-folders. I want to then filter by folder path by unchecking the folders for which I do not want any search results returned. Then I want to sort by date.

File Explorer used to allow all this to be possible, but filtering doesn't seem to work anymore in Windows 10 (except filter by date, which does still work). Using "View", "Group by", is not a useful workaround in my case.

Steps to recreate the problem:

- open File Explorer

- type "*" in the top right search box

- list of files is returned

- it is possible to filter by "date modified";
    PROBLEM: it is not possible to filter by "name", "type", "folder path"

I tried the two suggested solutions and they did not work.

Method 1: Run DISM

Method 2: Run System File Checker

As reported by others, occasionally "computing filters..." pops up when I click on the drop down arrow of one of the problematic headings, but not always, and it either closes within seconds or never finishes.

Here is a screenshot posted by somebody else asking the same question:

Explorer delay while typing for folder name 367fa5a1-00d7-43ee-9268-b7acb31b083d.png

Thanks for any further suggestions!

Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

System model XPS 13 9360

BIOS Dell Inc. 2.9.0, 7/9/2018

*NOTE: I'm very reluctant to update the BIOS because of problems I have with connecting to an external monitor and the current set up is actually working.

ElleTea, Feb 5, 2019
  3. Kreij Win User
    How to make vista display same icon size for all opened folders in explorer ?

Some suggestions

Kreij, Feb 5, 2019
  4. Explorer delay while typing for folder name

User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Feb 5, 2019
Thema:

Explorer delay while typing for folder name

1. Explorer delay while typing for folder name - Similar Threads - Explorer delay while

2. Working with explorer on remote desktop - delay while opening folders - Windows Server...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Working with explorer on remote desktop - delay while opening folders - Windows Server...: We are experiencing following problem. We have a server with Windows Server 2019 standard operating system. There are 10 users working via remote desktop on this server. Since a few months there is a speed problem in the explorer with 2 users. When using the explorer, opening...
  3. Working with explorer on remote desktop - delay while opening folders - Windows Server...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Working with explorer on remote desktop - delay while opening folders - Windows Server...: We are experiencing following problem. We have a server with Windows Server 2019 standard operating system. There are 10 users working via remote desktop on this server. Since a few months there is a speed problem in the explorer with 2 users. When using the explorer, opening...
  4. Working with explorer on remote desktop - delay while opening folders - Windows Server...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Typing delays

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Typing delays: So when I type or play games (basically use my keyboard). It'll work and I'll type but the letters wont appear until seconds after. In games ill hold like the D key let go and still move submitted by /u/raydingus [link] [comments]...
  6. Windows 10 file explorer - issues typing in name of a new folder

Windows 10 file explorer - issues typing in name of a new folder: I am copying old client data backup files off of DVD's to Onedrive. Part of the process is that I first enter file explorer and create a new folder in my Documents file. I copy the DVD data to the new folder, I then move the new folder to Onedrive. This simple thing is...
  7. Typing delay

in Windows 10 Customization
    Typing delay: When I type a sentence and then I have to wait few seconds to get all the words. All other functions works fine and my computer is not slow for sure. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/typing-delay/bea90a26-0835-41c3-bdcc-b5d1f034d417
  8. Excessive keyboard delay after not typing for a while

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Excessive keyboard delay after not typing for a while: Community, My desktop is running WIN10. If I don't use the keyboard for a minute or two, then when I start to type again, I have to wait for a minute or more before the keyboard input is accepted by the computer. I am using a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. The mouse...
  9. Sort by name, not type in folder

Sort by name, not type in folder: Im having a big issues with folder sorting. Is there any way to actually sort by NAME? Like this: 1 Folder 2 PDF 3 PDF 4 Folder 5 TEXT Right now it sorts by type, when i choose to sort by name - makes no sense to me. Thank you....
  10. typing delayed

in Windows 10 Support
    typing delayed: Have Windows 10 installed on HP 110 computer. Using mail let finger rest on key while thinking...and box came up and disappeared before I could read it...since then there's a few second lag...have to hold key down for several seconds and letter comes up...cannot type fast as...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 explorer delay when rename