Windows 10: Explorer/desktop is crashing and respawning

Discus and support Explorer/desktop is crashing and respawning in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Every once in a while this happens. SOmetimes a few times per day, somedays not at all. It's completely random. I've had it like 10 times today, so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Thanatica, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Thanatica Win User

Explorer/desktop is crashing and respawning

Every once in a while this happens. SOmetimes a few times per day, somedays not at all. It's completely random. I've had it like 10 times today, so I thought it's time open a topic.

So what happens, is the taskbars disappear and reappear after a second or two. It's a few flashes that pulls me out of my zone when I'm working.

After that, everything seems good 'n' dandy, and I have no clue where to look fore information on what causes this.

It might help to know I'm on a 8th gen XPS15 with 4K display and twin GPU's (Intel & nVidia). Via Thunderbolt I've connected my docking station with charger and two FHD external monitors. I'm also switching back and forth between two virtual desktops. Afaik, all drivers are up-to-date. Enforced by our IT department, we're going with Traps 4.1.2 for antivirus.

Only diagnosing information I can find, is an entry in the event log:

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.17134.165, time stamp: 0x4031a9f8
    Faulting module name: twinui.dll, version: 10.0.17134.345, time stamp: 0xb599ed57
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000038eb21
    Faulting process ID: 0x37bc
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d47cc5c26a5ce1
    Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\twinui.dll
    Report ID: 11cc679e-c72f-4317-8dab-4f055b9aea82
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

I'm not sure what twinui.dl does, or why it takes out explorer.

What can I do to resolve this problem?

PS: please don't keep it simple. I'm an experienced user pretty much since Windows 3.0.

:)

Thanatica, Nov 15, 2018
  2. Bundy Win User

Explorer crashing

Thanks Zat. I had never looked at event viewer and it had more info than I thought. Seems the problem was a second computer I was trying to network with. Unplugging the ethernet cable fixed the crashes. Explorer must have been looking in the wrong place I guess.

Bundy, Nov 15, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop

Download: ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows
    NOTE: download version 1.97 or later, else Restart Explorer won't work in step 4

1. This program does not require installation, just right click and run as Administrator
    2. From the menu, click on Options then click on Filter by Extension Type and select Context Menu. Also put check marks as shown

Explorer/desktop is crashing and respawning [​IMG]
    3. Click on the screen, Hold down CTRL Key+A to select all then click on the red button on top left corner to disable all.
    4. Click on the Options again and select Restart Explorer
    5. Now try to right click on desktop to see if it fixes your problem. If it does then start to enable one by one and repeat step 4 until the problem occurs again, that's the offending extension.

topgundcp, Nov 15, 2018
  4. peach1971 Win User

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Nov 15, 2018
Thema:

1. Explorer/desktop is crashing and respawning - Similar Threads - Explorer desktop crashing

2. Windows 10 desktop crashes opening explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 desktop crashes opening explorer: Windows 10 desktop crashes opening explorer, even in Windows Safe Mode.Under the hood, the Windows Desktop, Windows Explorer & the File Open Dialog, all use the core explorer part of Windows Explorer.Apparently when nesting files in deep directory paths, then trying to select...
  3. Windows 10 desktop crashes opening explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 desktop crashes opening explorer: Windows 10 desktop crashes opening explorer, even in Windows Safe Mode.Under the hood, the Windows Desktop, Windows Explorer & the File Open Dialog, all use the core explorer part of Windows Explorer.Apparently when nesting files in deep directory paths, then trying to select...
  4. Windows 10 desktop crashes opening explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows Explorer and Virtual Desktops keep crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer and Virtual Desktops keep crashing: Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.19041.1151, time stamp: 0x2885d2b8Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1151, time stamp: 0x891df6d3Exception code: 0xc0000409Fault offset: 0x000000000010bd3eFaulting process id: 0x19c0Faulting...
  6. Windows Explorer Crashes After Booting to Desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Explorer Crashes After Booting to Desktop: Hello,I just built a new desktop computer. The components are: AMD Ryzen 5600X, AORUS X570 Elite WIFI, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z NEO, WD SN750 NVMe SSD, and an EVGA 3080TI. I used Windows Installation Media Tool to make a bootable USB to install Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Windows...
  7. How are apps that you close able to keep respawning?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How are apps that you close able to keep respawning?: I'm a techie guy, so you can go into as much technical behind the scenes detail as you like. That's preferred actually, or give me links to technical articles but my question is threefold. These are related questions. The app in question doesn't matter, but it happens to...
  8. Explorer/desktop is crashing and respawning

in Windows 10 Customization
    Explorer/desktop is crashing and respawning: Every once in a while this happens. SOmetimes a few times per day, somedays not at all. It's completely random. I've had it like 10 times today, so I thought it's time open a topic. So what happens, is the taskbars disappear and reappear after a second or two. It's a few...
  9. Windows Explorer, desktop and all file explorer windows, crashing

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer, desktop and all file explorer windows, crashing: I was recently just using my computer, browsing files, moving stuff about when the entire desktop crashes and restarts as it does when that happens. This has never happened before and I've not modified the shell recently at all, hence I'm slightly concerned to what actually...
  10. Fresh instalation, windows explorer crashes on Desktop and Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Fresh instalation, windows explorer crashes on Desktop and Folders: I have done Fresh instalation and windows explorer crashes on Desktop and Folders when i try to move, create files or folders. and i get this in the Event Viewer Code: Log Name: Application Source: Windows Error Reporting Date: 3/10/2016 9:36:51 AM Event ID: 1001 Task...