Windows 10: Explorer displaying User Name not directory path

Discus and support Explorer displaying User Name not directory path in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I have been issued with a works laptop.with Windows 10. I logon with user nam,e e.g. R12345 anmd the home directory is C:\Users\R12345. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by S K Ray, Nov 10, 2020.

1. S K Ray Win User

Explorer displaying User Name not directory path

Hi

I have been issued with a works laptop.with Windows 10.

I logon with user nam,e e.g. R12345 anmd the home directory is C:\Users\R12345.

When I change to C:\Users\R12345 or pin it for quick access Windows Explorer is displaying the folder as my user name "Ray, Sanjay", not C:\Users\R12345.

As a consequence when I double clicking a file in this folder I get a messsge "Directory name is invalid", and I am also not able to copy file into this directory either. The solution is to start with C:, then select folder Users, then select R12345, then folder name becomes C:\Users\R12345 and I am able to carry on operations normally.

Is there a way to configure Explorer such that full path name is always displayed and not User Name.

I am on Windows 10 but this is happenning on Windows 7 as well.

Thanks

Sanjay

:)

S K Ray, Nov 10, 2020
  2. PianSa Win User

Suggestion in File Explorer to display full path of directory to move to/copy to

Because as it is right now, whenever I would copy several files from a directory to another directory, clicking the icon copy to, it would only list the name of the folder to copy to, and I would have to move the cursor on the icon of the relevant
    folder without clicking the cursor, so it would display the full path of that folder.

PianSa, Nov 10, 2020
  3. Gusgf Win User
    Admin user directory truncated name!!

I've got my Win10 user account info displayed, it's an admin account and there is my outlook email account attached. When I drill down to my user directory in file explorer under users the directory name is my first name truncated. So for example if the admin account was called Simon Murphy the user directory name is "Simo". I only noticed this after reinstalling Windows several weeks ago.

I've no idea how this happened but it looks stupid and I'd like to correct this so I'm wondering how do I go about this.

Gusgf, Nov 10, 2020
  4. PianSa Win User

I hope that File Explorer will display the full path of the directory to which you intend to move/copy a file to

Because when I click the icon ‘copy to’, it would only display the directory names and I would still haxe to point the cursor to the directory name’s icon to know the full path.

PianSa, Nov 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Explorer displaying User Name not directory path - Similar Threads - Explorer displaying User

2. File Path Directory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Path Directory: Hi, Recently I've changed drive letters which changed all of my installed applications file paths. Now the applications won't open with the error message, "specific file path not found" (something like that) I tried changing back the drive letters through Disk management and...
  3. Renaming the User directory name in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Renaming the User directory name in Windows 10: How do i rename the User directory name in Windows 10. This was truncated during the installation process.... thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/renaming-the-user-directory-name-in-windows-10/8c8e3ec0-8083-40a4-b24b-756c46259fc8
  4. Explorer directory path expansion

Explorer directory path expansion: Does anybody else find it incredibly annoying that on the side bar explorer will show you the full path of the folder you're in? All it does in make you have to scroll down to find items you need. Does anybody know a registry hack or some kind of setting to reverse this...
  5. How to change the name in the user directory

How to change the name in the user directory: I tried using Regedit but then I can only access a temporary account. Command prompt doesn’t let me change user names despite running as admin. submitted by /u/showandabe [link] [comments]...
  6. Directory path names messed up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Directory path names messed up: When I try to compress a file I get an error that the directory path contains symbols that can't be processed, meaning the Greek words I do have a Greek keyboard installed but my system language is English. The actual name is in English though. E.g. On the left in the...
  7. c:\users\ the directory name is invalid

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    c:\users\ the directory name is invalid: If I try to download a pdf OR open some of my own documents I keep getting the error message the directory name is invalid https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cusers-the-directory-name-is-invalid/5a4e7ab8-add5-41f4-be72-b7441d994e35
  8. Windows Explorer Displaying Wrong Name for User Profile Folder

Windows Explorer Displaying Wrong Name for User Profile Folder: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TheRealHourglass [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dpvnou/windows_explorer_displaying_wrong_name_for_user/
  9. User name in Windows 10 directory is not correct

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    User name in Windows 10 directory is not correct: When installing Windows 10 on my laptop, the user directory name only contains the first five letters of my first name. Is this normal? I reset my laptop and reinstalled Windows 10 but have the same result. I was never prompted for this information....
  10. Admin user directory truncated name!!

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Admin user directory truncated name!!: I've got my Win10 user account info displayed, it's an admin account and there is my outlook email account attached. When I drill down to my user directory in file explorer under users the directory name is my first name truncated. So for example if the admin account was...