Windows 10: Explorer doesn't allow copying files with long path in Windows 10 1903 build

Discus and support Explorer doesn't allow copying files with long path in Windows 10 1903 build in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro (build 1903). When I tried to copy files from one drive to another drive in the same SSD to Windows 10,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SaraPras, Aug 22, 2019.

1. SaraPras Win User

Explorer doesn't allow copying files with long path in Windows 10 1903 build

I have installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro (build 1903). When I tried to copy files from one drive to another drive in the same SSD to Windows 10, I get the error "The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder...".

I Have followed articles provide a solution but they are NOT working for me:

https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247(v=vs.85).aspx#maxpath

I have already ensured the LongPathsEnabled is set to 1 in the register HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem. In addition, I have updated the group policy to Enable the "Enable win32 long paths" policy under Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Filesystem. Updating the registry and group policy did NOT resolve the issue.

:)

SaraPras, Aug 22, 2019
  2. Zythyr Win User

Explorer doesn't allow copying files with long path in Windows 10 1709 build

I have installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro (build 1709). When I tried to copy all my files from my external HDD to Windows 10, I get the error "The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder...".

Explorer doesn't allow copying files with long path in Windows 10 1903 build 6eec0603-d8b1-4106-b96d-333b3f47f425.png

The follow articles provide a solution but they are NOT working for me:

https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/

Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces - Windows applications

I have already ensured the LongPathsEnabled
    is set to 1 in the register HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem. In addition, I have updated the group policy to
    Enable the "Enable win32 long paths" policy under Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Filesystem. Updating the registry/group policy did NOT resolve the issue.

**Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings**

Zythyr, Aug 22, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 22, 2019
  4. lahma Win User

Explorer doesn't allow copying files with long path in Windows 10 1709 build

Its really astounding how unhelpful any answer from any Microsoft employee on any Microsoft-related site can be. Its really just amazing at times... How about just stating that despite Microsoft implementing a GPO/registry setting to enable long file paths
    in Windows, they still haven't implemented long-path support in Windows Explorer, despite it being multiple years since the general support was added to Windows. Either that, or just don't answer. Seriously, how is your answer in any way helpful to ANYONE?

lahma, Aug 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Explorer doesn't allow copying files with long path in Windows 10 1903 build - Similar Threads - Explorer doesn't allow

2. Locating files with "destination path too long" in Windows explorer when copying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locating files with "destination path too long" in Windows explorer when copying: I am copying files from a EHD to my documents folder. I get an error saying "destination path too long" and with an option to skip or cancel. I have thousands of files in the folders that I am copying. How do I find out which files have a "destination path too long". Is there...
  3. LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File Explorer: Hi,I'm sorry to write this.Half of the world suffers from it for many years:LONG PATH DOES NOT WORK IN Windows 10 File Explorer"Microsoft Windows has a MAX_PATH limit of ~256 characters. If the length of the path and filename combined exceed ~256 characters you will be able...
  4. LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File Explorer: Hi,I'm sorry to write this.Half of the world suffers from it for many years:LONG PATH DOES NOT WORK IN Windows 10 File Explorer"Microsoft Windows has a MAX_PATH limit of ~256 characters. If the length of the path and filename combined exceed ~256 characters you will be able...
  5. LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File Explorer

6. Windows 10 allowing long file paths not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 allowing long file paths not working.: I am using Windows 10, version 21H2. I need to create multiple folders within a parent folder. However I am constantly plagued by the 260 maximum character limit in windows. Learning that microsoft had supposedly disabled that limit sometime in 2016, and that file/folder...
  7. Windows 10 allowing long file paths not working.

Windows 10 allowing long file paths not working.: I am using Windows 10, version 21H2. I need to create multiple folders within a parent folder. However I am constantly plagued by the 260 maximum character limit in windows. Learning that microsoft had supposedly disabled that limit sometime in 2016, and that file/folder...
  8. Windows 10 allowing long file paths not working.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Enabling Long Path to Allow Files with Long Names in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enabling Long Path to Allow Files with Long Names in Windows 10 File Explorer: I’ve done the fixes suggested by the Microsoft Community: Setting the registry key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\LongPathsEnabled Type: REG_DWORD to 1 Adding Enable Win32 long paths in the Local Computer Policy: Computer...
  10. Copy Path in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Copy Path in File Explorer in Windows 10: How to: Copy Path in File Explorer in Windows 10 How to Copy Path in File Explorer in Windows 10 Copy path or Copy as path will copy the full path of selected items (files and folders) wrapped in quotes to the Clipboard so you can paste the full path(s) of the item(s)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Enable NTFS long paths. Win10 1903

2. windows 10 1903 long path crash explorer

3. Windows 10 1903 issue with long file paths