Windows 10: Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing

Discus and support Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; While looking for a fix for the problem in the title I came across another user with the same description of a problem. - Only that I'm using Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Selmar_Binder, Nov 9, 2018 at 3:12 AM.

1. Selmar_Binder Win User

Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing

While looking for a fix for the problem in the title I came across another user with the same description of a problem. - Only that I'm using Win 10 Pro (upgraded from win 8.1).

See citation below for the detailed problem description.

I want to add that I first suspected my mouse or keyboard to cause the problem by doing random clicks/presses, but switching keyboard and mouse did not help.

Also, the problem persists when I'm not touching the mouse but navigate only via keyboard/drop-down-menue-key/arrows->"rename"/enter/...

Upon inspection of the bug I found that, sometimes the cursor is merely reset to a different location within the file/fold-name, instead of selecting the entire name. However, the location of the cursor-insert is not correlated to the mouse-cursor-location on the screen!

Would love some technically insightful response as to where this might be coming from. Much rather then "plug-unplug"-types of suggestions on how to fix it.

Hope this helps in resolving the problem for Microsoft.

Friendly regards,

SB

"Hi All -

This problem has been bugging me since I switched over to Windows 8 a couple of years ago.

When renaming a file or folder in Windows 8.1 file explorer, I click on the filename (which selects entire name), then click on the part I want to rename (for example, putting the cursor between two words or a place where I want to add a letter or word), and as I'm typing, Windows automatically re-selects the entire filename, which then deletes the original filename.

Example:

original filename: MyList

I click on filename, which selects entire name in blue: MyList

I click on name again to de-select and put cursor where I want it: My>cursor<List

I start typing "Grocery" to insert it between My & List, then Windows automatically selects the entire original name, then I'm left with "Grocery" which replaced the selection.

Strange - never had this problem with earlier versions of Windows. Seems to do it when I'm renaming quickly - can't seem to get it to do it when I'm slow & trying to see what Windows is up to.

Anybody else with this problem? Is there a fix?"

:)

Selmar_Binder, Nov 9, 2018 at 3:12 AM
  2. XweAponX Win User

Selecting a file by starting to type its name... No longer an option?

I've been able to do this, usually I use it from my Pictures folder when selecting an image to post. I just tried in my Downloads folder and it worked. There is a setting for Searches, I'll try to post a screenshot here. Try setting your folder view to "List" or "Detail View" and it works better.

Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing [​IMG]

3. Syed Abdul Jabbar Win User
    File explorer not searching in This PC

Hi George,

I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I suggest you to reset Windows explorer and check the behavior.

Please follow the steps:

• Right click on the task Bar and select Task Manager.

• Select Processes tab.

• Choose windows explorer and right click on it.

• Select end task

• Click on file menu and select run new task.

• Type explorer.exe

• Click on ok.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue with Windows Explorer. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Nov 9, 2018 at 3:13 AM
  4. Jefferson Ore Win User

file explorer does not run

Hello,

User profile corruption is one of the possible reasons why you encountered an issue with the File Explorer after performing a clean install of Windows 10 and reinstalling your apps.

To troubleshoot the issue, we suggest creating a new user account in Windows 10 and see if the same issue will occur while on a different user profile. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Select the Start button, then select Settings > Accounts > Family
      & other people
      > Add someone else to this PC.

• Type a user name, password, password hint, and then select Next.

Once done with the steps, let us know how it goes so we can help your further.

Jefferson Ore, Nov 9, 2018 at 3:13 AM
Thema:

1. Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing - Similar Threads - Explorer erratically selects

2. OneDrive - Automatic re-selection of entire file name before renaming part of it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive - Automatic re-selection of entire file name before renaming part of it: I'm using Windows 10 Pro with latest updates, also I'm maintaining a OneDrive domain in the same PC. In OneDrive domain if I attempt to rename a file partly for ex: [this file rev1.*] to [this file rev2.*] it doesn't allow me to put courser right after the part i want to...
  3. Cannot select default app for file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot select default app for file type: Hello, I am trying to set a default application for a file extenstion but it doesn't save. [ATTACH] When doing that, it opens the application in the correct application: notepad++, but it doesn't update it to windows, so when i try to just double click on the file, it...
  4. Select Keyboard Type

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Select Keyboard Type: Hi, I currently upgraded to windows 10 after that my windows explorer start scrolling automatically it had done this before and I thought it was a virus so I formatted my system and lost alot of data, now after an automatic upgrade for windows days back I turn on my system to...
  5. Explorer window not active for file selection

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer window not active for file selection: Hi. I have a videos folder. I am checking and deleting unwanted videos by opening each for few seconds and deleting ones I don't like. Problem is that when I close the player and want to delete the video, the explorer window is no more active. So I have to click on the...
  6. Name in File Explorer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Name in File Explorer: Since doing a clean install, my name in File Explorer/Users has changed. It is neither my first nor second name, just the first 5 letters/numbers of my Microsoft login name. It used to show my surname in Windows 7. Is is it possible to change it, please? 24628
  7. Explorer: behavior while starting to type on keyboard

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer: behavior while starting to type on keyboard: Hello, i'm used that when i start, let's say R, explorer will point at the first file starting by R in the current folder. Now when i'm typing, it directly input that in the searchbox. How do i get back to the good old behavior? 59862
  8. Selecting a file by starting to type its name... No longer an option?

in Windows 10 Support
    Selecting a file by starting to type its name... No longer an option?: In Windows 7, and before, in Explorer, I could start to type a name of a file that I wanted and Explorer would jump down to that file, but under Windows 10, it automatically starts doing a search of the folder. As such, I am forced to scroll down and find the file manually....
  9. File Explorer crash when selecting files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer crash when selecting files: Hi Guys, I have encountered this problem (in thread line) for the past 3-5 days and I have come no closer to any solution during that period of time. Basically, as soon as I left click or right click on a file in Windows Explorer it will crash. My Windows icon in the...
  10. File Explorer Rename - name select delay interrupts edit

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Rename - name select delay interrupts edit: Hi, When renaming a file in File Explorer I am frequently, but not always, stymied by the system re-selecting the entire filename whilst I am in the midst of editing it. It occurs anytime from 1-2s after I start editing up to 10s or more. I typically am using the back arrow...