Windows 10: Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing

Discus and support Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; While looking for a fix for the problem in the title I came across another user with the same description of a problem. - Only that I'm using Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Selmar_Binder, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing

While looking for a fix for the problem in the title I came across another user with the same description of a problem. - Only that I'm using Win 10 Pro (upgraded from win 8.1).

See citation below for the detailed problem description.

I want to add that I first suspected my mouse or keyboard to cause the problem by doing random clicks/presses, but switching keyboard and mouse did not help.

Also, the problem persists when I'm not touching the mouse but navigate only via keyboard/drop-down-menue-key/arrows->"rename"/enter/...

Upon inspection of the bug I found that, sometimes the cursor is merely reset to a different location within the file/fold-name, instead of selecting the entire name. However, the location of the cursor-insert is not correlated to the mouse-cursor-location on the screen!

Would love some technically insightful response as to where this might be coming from. Much rather then "plug-unplug"-types of suggestions on how to fix it.

Hope this helps in resolving the problem for Microsoft.

Friendly regards,

SB

"Hi All -

This problem has been bugging me since I switched over to Windows 8 a couple of years ago.

When renaming a file or folder in Windows 8.1 file explorer, I click on the filename (which selects entire name), then click on the part I want to rename (for example, putting the cursor between two words or a place where I want to add a letter or word), and as I'm typing, Windows automatically re-selects the entire filename, which then deletes the original filename.

Example:

original filename: MyList

I click on filename, which selects entire name in blue: MyList

I click on name again to de-select and put cursor where I want it: My>cursor<List

I start typing "Grocery" to insert it between My & List, then Windows automatically selects the entire original name, then I'm left with "Grocery" which replaced the selection.

Strange - never had this problem with earlier versions of Windows. Seems to do it when I'm renaming quickly - can't seem to get it to do it when I'm slow & trying to see what Windows is up to.

Anybody else with this problem? Is there a fix?"

:)

Selmar_Binder, Nov 9, 2018
  2. XweAponX Win User

Selecting a file by starting to type its name... No longer an option?

I've been able to do this, usually I use it from my Pictures folder when selecting an image to post. I just tried in my Downloads folder and it worked. There is a setting for Searches, I'll try to post a screenshot here. Try setting your folder view to "List" or "Detail View" and it works better.

Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing [​IMG]

XweAponX, Nov 9, 2018
  3. File explorer not searching in This PC

Hi George,

I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I suggest you to reset Windows explorer and check the behavior.

Please follow the steps:

• Right click on the task Bar and select Task Manager.

• Select Processes tab.

• Choose windows explorer and right click on it.

• Select end task

• Click on file menu and select run new task.

• Type explorer.exe

• Click on ok.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue with Windows Explorer. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Nov 9, 2018
  4. Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing

file explorer does not run

Hello,

User profile corruption is one of the possible reasons why you encountered an issue with the File Explorer after performing a clean install of Windows 10 and reinstalling your apps.

To troubleshoot the issue, we suggest creating a new user account in Windows 10 and see if the same issue will occur while on a different user profile. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Select the Start button, then select Settings > Accounts > Family
      & other people
      > Add someone else to this PC.

• Type a user name, password, password hint, and then select Next.

Once done with the steps, let us know how it goes so we can help your further.

Jefferson Ore, Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing

1. Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing - Similar Threads - Explorer erratically selects

2. A solution for "Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A solution for "Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing": It's interesting that Microsoft doesn't have a good answer for this, you'll find versions of this on Dropbox and other platforms that use Window. The answer to the problem is: File Explorer is trying to resort based on your new file name. Change the FE window so it sorts by...
  3. A solution for "Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A solution for "Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing": It's interesting that Microsoft doesn't have a good answer for this, you'll find versions of this on Dropbox and other platforms that use Window. The answer to the problem is: File Explorer is trying to resort based on your new file name. Change the FE window so it sorts by...
  4. A solution for "Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Annoying as all !@## File Explorer HIGHLIGHTING entire folder name

Annoying as all !@## File Explorer HIGHLIGHTING entire folder name: I do a lot of work where I am required to rename a lot of folders. When I rename one folder, move to the next to rename it, before I can even type the entire folder name HIGHLIGHTS and I basically have to sit and WAIT for the last folder I updated to finish REFRESHING until I...
  6. Re: Renaming files: annoying automatic re-selection of entire filename in Windows 8

Re: Renaming files: annoying automatic re-selection of entire filename in Windows 8: So I think I've found a workaround that doesn't require a third party program. I simply can't reply to the original thread because it's closed, but I think my two cents may help some people since I'm having this problem on Windows 10 nearly seven years later. It seems that,...
  7. .ogg files continuously crash the entire Windows Explorer whenever selected.

.ogg files continuously crash the entire Windows Explorer whenever selected.: Any time I select a .ogg file be it left-click or right-click, the entire Windows Explorer hangs and I have to restart it with Task Manager. Again, this goes for any file in the .ogg format. Sometimes just visiting the folder a .ogg file is enough to crash Windows Explorer!...
  8. File Explorer Search While Typing

File Explorer Search While Typing: Hello, I have recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 10. On this laptop's version of Windows 10, File Explorer does not search while I type my search request, unlike on my old laptop's probably seriously out-of-date version. I would like File Explorer to search while...
  9. Explorer delay while typing for folder name

Explorer delay while typing for folder name: When you are in explorer, you can type the letters and numbers of the folder you are looking for. If you pause it will forget what you typed and start over. I want to increase this pause delay(so I can look at the paper that has the information on it). I have looked all...
  10. OneDrive - Automatic re-selection of entire file name before renaming part of it

OneDrive - Automatic re-selection of entire file name before renaming part of it: I'm using Windows 10 Pro with latest updates, also I'm maintaining a OneDrive domain in the same PC. In OneDrive domain if I attempt to rename a file partly for ex: [this file rev1.*] to [this file rev2.*] it doesn't allow me to put courser right after the part i want to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. annoying windows explorer rename file often selects whole filename

2. windows 10 file explorer resets file name while Im typing it