Windows 10: Explorer.exe always running at 20% CPU Usage. Will not let me restart or shutdown.

Discus and support Explorer.exe always running at 20% CPU Usage. Will not let me restart or shutdown. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello Since about 10 days after updating windows 10 to 2004 update. My explorer.exe is constantly running at 20% CPU usage?? see image? I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by rdalcoft, Jul 2, 2020.

1. rdalcoft Win User

Explorer.exe always running at 20% CPU Usage. Will not let me restart or shutdown.

Hello

Since about 10 days after updating windows 10 to 2004 update. My explorer.exe is constantly running at 20% CPU usage??

see image? I have ran 3 different malware programs. maywarebytes, Hitman pro, Zemana Antimalware. also running Rkill before this to kill any potential processes, but it found none..

Explorer.exe always running at 20% CPU Usage.  Will not let me restart or shutdown. [​IMG]

Not sure what to do.. i am fully up to date. all drivers etc... Not sure what all that means, but i am assuming explorer is trying to access something constantly, and wont stop?

I cant keep hard resetting my computer every time I want to shut it down..

:)

rdalcoft, Jul 2, 2020

2. Shutdown restarts and high CPU

I have two issues please that I would like some advice:

Conditions for error:

When I leave my computer on idle for more than 2 hours plus, the computer

1. Goes into 197% CPU usage
    2. When I shutdown, goes into restart and not shut down

What have I done to resolve this?

1. This happens on two accounts
    2. Updated firmware to latest bios
    3. Run diagnostics; task manager, CPUID, perfmon, all with no issues reported
    4. Sent the device back to the supplier for them to run diagnostics
    5. Disabled high CPU applications (the biggest being qsynch)
    6. Reviewed online rports and changed restrty settings on HK Local
    7. Reviwed power management as suggested
    8. Run Malwarebytes, Bitdefender, and EDR Comodo
    9. Run qualys vulnerability scan
    10. Checked windows defender
    My setup:

1. Intel NUC I7 10th generation bought from simply NUC
    2. 64 gb of RAM
    3. 1tb Samsung 970 NVME
    4. Windows 10 pro, with all latest updates
    5. High speed broadband

I would be grateful for some advice re what to do next to fix this issue.

Regards,

Mike

mikeelawson, Jul 2, 2020
  3. Lukeqz Win User
    High CPU Usage from Explorer.exe

Alright, so I also found your Solved section before, I tried that then, and now.

I then did a scan with MWB, which picked up a few files but nothing it deemed dangerous. I ran a full scan on my AV instead of a quick scan, and it picked up 3 Severe, which it hadn't before. I removed those and then booted into safe mode.

The High CPU usage was there, but was remedied when I did the solved steps again safe mode. Explorer.exe then remain low CPU usage (<1%) until I rebooted normally. The problem was still there out of safe mode and was not fixed by repeated the steps again.

Lukeqz, Jul 2, 2020
  4. Explorer.exe always running at 20% CPU Usage. Will not let me restart or shutdown.

WIN10 1703 update cause Explorer.exe high CPU usage

Hi,

Glad you reached out. First, we would like to know if Explorer.exe
    is the only cause of high CPU usage. Because the common cause of high CPU usage are the following:

- Windows 10 Memory leak after the update.

- Driver incompatibilities after the update.

- Multiple startup applications

We'll be waiting for your update.

Richard tie, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

Explorer.exe always running at 20% CPU Usage. Will not let me restart or shutdown.

1. Explorer.exe always running at 20% CPU Usage. Will not let me restart or shutdown. - Similar Threads - Explorer exe always

2. Windows Explorer High CPU and not able to Shutdown or Restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer High CPU and not able to Shutdown or Restart: My fan on my pc is on constantly so I checked Task Manger and Windows Explorer is constantly using 8% CPU while idle. Also I when I do something with a file on it, it doesn’t auto refresh, I have to click the refresh button to see the change. Finally I can’t even restart or...
  3. COM surrogate 20% cpu and usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    COM surrogate 20% cpu and usage: [ATTACH]this happend after installing an app i unistalled it and restart but nothing happened scanned my files but no threats were found https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-surrogate-20-cpu-and-usage/a739637e-40ed-4e19-9347-88749f65fcf8
  4. Cpu is always 100% usage after restart in 2004 version

Cpu is always 100% usage after restart in 2004 version: [ATTACH] The system process is occupy a lot of CPU resources after every restart and in the next 10-20mins my cpu usage will keep 100% But shut down and turn on computer manually won't cause this problem I never had this problem before the 2004 version. My cpu is intel...
  5. Shutdown restarts and high CPU

Shutdown restarts and high CPU: I have two issues please that I would like some advice: Conditions for error: When I leave my computer on idle for more than 2 hours plus, the computer Goes into 197% CPU usage When I shutdown, goes into restart and not shut down What have I done to resolve this?...
  6. Always on 99% cpu usage

Always on 99% cpu usage: Similar to this request a few years ago https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/cpu-usage-always-at-99/a61a4770-f95c-4e75-b6a3-51480dd2be22 I am also having ny cpu usage always at 99% since the windows update I did yesterday. The...
  7. CPU usage constantly running at 20% on idle, along with fans running loudly on idle.

CPU usage constantly running at 20% on idle, along with fans running loudly on idle.: Hi. I have a couple of questions about why my CPU is running at 20% while idle. Along the CPU running at 20% is the memory, constantly running at the same as the CPU. I've reinstalled all the drivers for my Alienware 17 r5 using official Microsoft means, I've run a bunch...
  8. CPU Usage Always Shows 100%

CPU Usage Always Shows 100%: My computer always shows 100% CPU usage in the Task Manager. However, it never seems to effect performance. I recently installed another hardware monitoring software (Open Hardware Monitor) and it only shows a fraction of the CPU usage, as compared to what Task Manager is...
  9. CPU usage constantly ~20% above what process explorer states

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU usage constantly ~20% above what process explorer states: This recently started after my second harddrive died and I removed it. 54400
  10. idle ,it consume always 20% of cpu , why?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    idle ,it consume always 20% of cpu , why?: hi i have w10 pro 64bit with 32gb , ssd i have noticed that after a while , windows 10 idle , starts to consume my cpu for hours i tried to track it down , i used process hacker system (C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe) -> treads -> and i found out it's...