Windows 10: Explorer.exe Application Error Crash Loop After Every Login

Discus and support Explorer.exe Application Error Crash Loop After Every Login in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My computer has been unable to log on without a 5 - 10 minute explorer.exe crash loop. I am able to open the task manager during this loop and see that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BadgerWho, Dec 18, 2020.

1. BadgerWho Win User

Explorer.exe Application Error Crash Loop After Every Login

My computer has been unable to log on without a 5 - 10 minute explorer.exe crash loop. I am able to open the task manager during this loop and see that either one of my two storage drives will be at 100% usage for the entire time. If one or both of the drives is disconnected, the error does not occur. However, the problem can not be isolated to one drive specifically. It is only when they both are plugged in and powered that the crash loop occurs. Additionally, the internet usage monitor spikes during this time, but when startup and login is run with the computer disconnected from the internet, the problem persists. The CPU and RAM do not read much above idle during this time.

I've tried everything and am out of ideas. I've run every check disk, scan disk, system file checker, and all the other normal scans for viruses, malware, and disk errors. All of my drivers are up to date, and I've even done a refresh install of Widows 10, but it still happens every single boot. The only consistent fix is unplugging one or both of my storage drives before booting, but that is not a feasible long term solution.

The event viewer points the application error to ucrtbase.dll. I've tried removing/replacing this .dll and am locked out from doing it because it's always "in use" - even in safe mode.

Here's one of the several thousand identical error reports:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 12/7/2020 11:34:44
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: 100
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.19041.662, time stamp: 0x996782f8
    Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.19041.546, time stamp: 0x43cbc11d
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x000000000007287e
    Faulting process id: 0x2d0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d6ccbf403e882a
    Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
    Report Id: 5de25f80-77b9-4d87-9e04-91c2a58da87b
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-12-07T17:34:44.5119178Z" />
    <EventRecordID>53138</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer></Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>explorer.exe</Data>
    <Data>10.0.19041.662</Data>
    <Data>996782f8</Data>
    <Data>ucrtbase.dll</Data>
    <Data>10.0.19041.546</Data>
    <Data>43cbc11d</Data>
    <Data>c0000409</Data>
    <Data>000000000007287e</Data>
    <Data>2d0</Data>
    <Data>01d6ccbf403e882a</Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll</Data>
    <Data>5de25f80-77b9-4d87-9e04-91c2a58da87b</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Here's my system:

Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 GHz
    Installed RAM 16.0 GB
    GPU GTX 970
    Device ID 2DE455C8-C672-43A8-85CA-38C27DBC3149
    Product ID 00326-10000-00000-AA071
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

:)

BadgerWho, Dec 18, 2020

2. Stuck in explorer crash loop

Hello!

Today, out of nowhere, I started having problems with explorer. When right-clicking on the desktop (or icons on it) explorer would crash and restart itself a few seconds later (icons disappear, taskbar disappears, etc...).

I looked for a solution online and many people suggested installing ShellExView and disabling everything non-Microsoft and then re-enabling them one by one to find the culprit. Actually, disabling every non-Microsoft entry made things much worse for me, as explorer would go into a crash loop (crash, restart, crash, and so on...). For some reason I though updating Windows would help me fix everything, but after applying updates and restarting I noticed nothing had changed and now I'm stuck in the loop right after login (I basically cannot do anything except launch stuff through the task manager).

I'm currently in safe mode, and everything works fine here, but I have no idea how to fix the problem. I tried reverting to the previous build, it failed (generic error, don't really remember it). I tried restoring to a previous restore point, it failed. Even resetting failed. I just guess I'll have to reinstall w10 from scratch, I just wanted to know if there was something else to try out before doing that.

Sorry for the long post! (or maybe it looks long in safe mode because of the low resolution *Biggrin )

CaptainTuna, Dec 18, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Dec 18, 2020
  4. Dhika360 Win User

Explorer exe application error

Thank you for your help, but im sorry the problem still there, after i did the 2nd step, the scan shows if there are corrupted files, but it can't fix it and only logged the result, and the memory diagnostics says there are no error.

Also, there is a notification says

"explorer.exe - system warning

Unknown hard error"

Dhika360, Dec 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Explorer.exe Application Error Crash Loop After Every Login - Similar Threads - Explorer exe Application

2. Windows explorer crashing in a loop after signing in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer crashing in a loop after signing in: Hello, my computer was working fine yesterday, but today I got on and signed in and windows explorer just crashed over and over. Everytime my GPU usage would spike to 100%, not sure if that's relevant. I checked event viewer and four events kept repeating over and over. The...
  3. Windows explorer crashing in a loop after signing in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows explorer crashing in a loop after signing in: Hello, my computer was working fine yesterday, but today I got on and signed in and windows explorer just crashed over and over. Everytime my GPU usage would spike to 100%, not sure if that's relevant. I checked event viewer and four events kept repeating over and over. The...
  4. Windows explorer crashing in a loop after signing in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows Explorer Application Error - Windows Explorer Crashes and Restarts Every 5 Seconds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Explorer Application Error - Windows Explorer Crashes and Restarts Every 5 Seconds: I made several software updates that required a reboot. After reboot, Windows Explorer began recycling crashing and restarting approx. every 5 seconds. The visible systems included taskbar not being populated with the expected icons, the taskbar and desktop including icons...
  6. explorer crash loop

explorer crash loop: Everytime I start my computer, I get a windows explrorer crash loop, it crashes, restarts and crashes again every few seconds. It stops after about 10 minutes and then starts normally.I have tried sfc and dism. I have tried clean boot and it still happened, in safe mode it...
  7. Desktop/File Explorer Crash Loop after Login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop/File Explorer Crash Loop after Login: Had this issue after the Nov update and was able to uninstall the offending update and disable for a month, but now I'm forced to download it and same issue is back. On start-up, logging into windows takes longer than usual. Once the desktop shows up, there is no wallpaper...
  8. Explorer crash loop every second reboot

Explorer crash loop every second reboot: Hi, I'm having a problem where every second time I reboot, explorer.exe enters a crashloop rendering my PC unusable. The only way I can restart is via the PC reset button restarting via Ctrl+Alt+Del starts a restart that never finishes. I've tried several things that I've...
  9. werfault exe application error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    werfault exe application error: this is a very annoying thing to get it just wont disappear ive disabled windows error reports ive tried a few things the instruction at 0x0000000075C58AA9 REFERENCED MEMORY AT 0x0000000075C58AA9,. THE REQUIRED DATA WAS NOT...
  10. Stuck in explorer crash loop

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck in explorer crash loop: Hello! Today, out of nowhere, I started having problems with explorer. When right-clicking on the desktop (or icons on it) explorer would crash and restart itself a few seconds later (icons disappear, taskbar disappears, etc...). I looked for a solution online and many...