Windows 10: Explorer.exe causing serious lag

Discus and support Explorer.exe causing serious lag in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So I've been dealing with this issue for YEARS! For some reason, explorer.exe is causing lag on my computer. I've read numerous other users having the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Bill-Derr, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Bill-Derr Win User

Explorer.exe causing serious lag

So I've been dealing with this issue for YEARS! For some reason, explorer.exe is causing lag on my computer. I've read numerous other users having the same issue but nothing seems to come about to fix it.

It simply causes everything to slow down, even though the CPU and RAM usages isn't crazy and not near 100% for CPU, Memory or Disk usage. I initially thought it was an issue with Chrome as it uses a lot of resources, but closing it and reopening it never really helped. I use to simply restart my computer and that would fix it for a few days. Then I started noticing the task bar would randomly disappear and the desktop would go black if I was simply dealing with the lag long enough, and then about 5-10 second later everything would come back and miraculously my computer would start running great again. I do a lot of video editing on my computer, so I can't always restart my computer when it starts to lag, and the random lag is just really annoying and doesn't always happen while rendering videos - it's 100% random and usually happens every couple days or so. It simply delays EVERYTHING I do mouse clicks or keyboard button presses by about a second or 2. It also happens out of nowhere. I found that once I have lag starting, if I open the task manager and find explorer.exe usually running at around 50,000k memory which is higher than normal that I've seen, and I right-click it and hit end task, and then click File, then "Run new task" and restart explorer.exe, that everything starts working fine again. This prevents me from needing to restart my computer to resolve the issue, and all my other programs are still up and running during that process too. But the lag goes away for a couple more days before I need to do it again.

I've tried factory resetting my computer back to new configuration, didn't change anything. I also tried formatting the hard drive and doing fresh install of Windows 10, didn't help. I do receive Windows 10 updates regularly usually once every week or 2, but never noticed any changes to this issue at all. Nothing I've found online fixes the issue as well. It's just really annoying that this has been an ongoing issue, not with just me, but many other people and Microsoft can't resolve the problem.

Again, my available memory, CPU usage and disk usage when it's lagging shows perfectly normal and nowhere near 100% for any of them. Hell, CPU usage is rarely even 50%, even while I'm rendering videos, and memory usage is rarely over 70% even with a lot of programs open or with Chrome running numerous tabs. And disk usage for the most part sits at 0%. I haven't seen any type or correlation between the lag caused by explorer.exe and the CPU, memory or disk usage at all.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Bill-Derr, Apr 20, 2021
  2. Jose Est Win User

Random lag spikes

Hi,

We would like to know more about your lag issue:

• What browser are you using when you experience a lag?
    • Does the lag occur in a particular game?

In the meantime, we suggest you run the System Maintenance troubleshooter. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click on View All.
    • Click on System Maintenance to run the troubleshooter.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Apr 20, 2021
  3. Windows 10: Serious Lag Times

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

This issue may happen due to system file corruption.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly
    follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    Method 2: If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps to employ the DISM command lines:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
      • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
      • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Cleanupimage
      • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    • Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    You may refer to the below article and check.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Apr 20, 2021
  4. Explorer.exe causing serious lag

File Explorer Scroll Lag

Hello, I just did this and still the lagging continues. I want to point out that the lag occurs only when I scroll with the mouse, when I click and scroll the lag does not occur.

Gerardo Baron, Apr 20, 2021
Thema:

Explorer.exe causing serious lag

1. Explorer.exe causing serious lag - Similar Threads - Explorer exe causing

2. Serious Mouse Lagging on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Serious Mouse Lagging on Windows 11: BSDThe computer becomes almost unresponsive, mouse lags terriarbly, it's a shame that windows still after 20+ years cannot do a simple task right, and that no lessons have been learned from the Internet Explorer fiasco.Not only that, almost every day pushy windows updates...
  3. Serious Mouse Lagging on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Serious Mouse Lagging on Windows 11: BSDThe computer becomes almost unresponsive, mouse lags terriarbly, it's a shame that windows still after 20+ years cannot do a simple task right, and that no lessons have been learned from the Internet Explorer fiasco.Not only that, almost every day pushy windows updates...
  4. Windows 11 Serious Mouse Lagging and Stuttering

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Serious Mouse Lagging and Stuttering: BSDI have tried every solution out there, mouse goes into serious stuttering makes it impossible to work, it doesn't happen during a game or in a situation where High CPU is the problem, simply watching a video on YouTube can cause the mouse to become almost unresponsive.It's...
  5. Windows 11 Serious Mouse Lagging and Stuttering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Serious Mouse Lagging and Stuttering: BSDI have tried every solution out there, mouse goes into serious stuttering makes it impossible to work, it doesn't happen during a game or in a situation where High CPU is the problem, simply watching a video on YouTube can cause the mouse to become almost unresponsive.It's...
  6. update causes serious problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    update causes serious problems: After an update yesterday nothing works normal -i can not open onedrive files - the EDGE browser crashes all the time -In the settings menu i can not choose anything, so i can not choose "recovery" - i can not send mails - some icons in the taskbar are disappeared,...
  7. Some files/folders causing immense lag in explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Some files/folders causing immense lag in explorer: I recently backed up files from my C: (SSD, on which Windows is installed) to my E: (HDD for storage), to prepare for a clean Windows 10 re-install. But, after re-installing, when trying to copy back the files, it gets stuck at a certain point, with extremely slow transfer...
  8. Windows 10 explorer ? keeps causing lag spikes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 explorer ? keeps causing lag spikes: Hi all, I have a 5-ish year old ASUS TP300 notebook laptop with Windows 10 on it. For a while now I've been having an issue where my CPU usage jumps from 50% use again, ish nominal to 100% use spikes every 10 seconds or so. I'm not a tech genius by any means but I have a...
  9. Explorer,EXE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Explorer,EXE: Please help me find a solution on this message; 'The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation' Hoping someone has a simple solution, Thanks...
  10. Username change caused serious problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Username change caused serious problems: Hello Folks, I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar problems after a Username change. My daughter got a new Lenovo Ideapad 520 for her computation studies at university about a week ago, and this i7 Octacore with 16Gb RAM and Windows 10 is certainly fast, and has...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. explorer.exe laggy in videos