Windows 10: Explorer.exe crashes on occasion, faulting module is always combase.dll, ran Shellview to...

Discus and support Explorer.exe crashes on occasion, faulting module is always combase.dll, ran Shellview to... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.19041.844, time stamp: 0x5d74feca Faulting module name: combase.dll, version: 10.0.19041.844,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/StolenSpirit, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Explorer.exe crashes on occasion, faulting module is always combase.dll, ran Shellview to...

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.19041.844, time stamp: 0x5d74feca Faulting module name: combase.dll, version: 10.0.19041.844, time stamp: 0xdd615a1e Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x0000000000059d57 Faulting process id: 0x2084 Faulting application start time: 0x01d7139b4653586a Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\combase.dll Report Id: a9111ba2-671b-4f35-8f44-ce800a95d743 Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID: (blank)

That was what I found in Event viewer, tried the usual Googling, not sure if this process is related to something system-specific or if anyone here has a suggested fix that would be much appreciated.

OS Build: 19042.844 Version: 20H2 Edition: Windows 10 Pro

submitted by /u/StolenSpirit
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/StolenSpirit, Mar 7, 2021

2. D3d11.dll crashes

Recently I have been getting multiple crashes caused by d3d11.dll and I have no idea how to fix the problem. Here is an example of one of the crash logs:

Faulting application name: bf1.exe, version: 1.0.47.30570, time stamp: 0x5842f1e9

Faulting module name: d3d11.dll, version: 10.0.14393.479, time stamp: 0x58258972

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00000000001590f4

Faulting process id: 0x1ce8

Faulting application start time: 0x01d26f64b2260675

Faulting application path: F:\Origin Games\Battlefield 1\bf1.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\d3d11.dll

Report Id: c061913a-b2b3-45be-90df-3b7bf090be6d

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Underdrill, Mar 7, 2021
  3. Explorer.exe Crashing (EventID 1000, Several Faulting Modules)

I've been having this issue for several months and have already posted this issue several times in other sites, but no one seems to have an answer. This has me pulling my hair out and it is interrupting workflow horrifically. I would like to solve this, and I'm hoping someone can at least point me in the right direction. That said, I'm quite tech literate, and have researched as much as I can into this issue before posting, so I'm hoping that with some help this can get resolved. I've compiled all the details that are relevant to the issue, and organized them here.

Symptoms

• When double clicking on a file to open its contents in File Explorer, sometimes it will open a new window of the folder instead of opening in the same window, even though my preferences are set to open in the same window. Sometimes it even opens 2 new windows for the price of 1!
      On its own, this wouldn't be that big of an issue, but I believe it is a part of the larger problem which is listed next.
    • When opening items due to double clicking, or just opening files from the "open with" context menu, most of the time explorer.exe will crash. While the program is crashing and resetting, I am unable to alt-tab, change volume, or use the task bar. The desktop also refreshes and flickers briefly. Crashes will sometimes last over a minute, which really disrupts workflow (especially when I need to open a lot of files in succession).
    • Sometimes when saving items to anywhere explorer will crash.
    • Making a new folder in any directory (even on external disks) will cause Explorer to crash. Note that this probably rules out immediate hardware malfunction. Additionally, double clicking to have explorer unzip a .zip will cause a crash.

In summary, explorer seems to crash randomly when accessing a directory to read/write data from files. This is pretty broad, but that's all I can gauge from it.

Crash Log

Event Viewer lists the issue as EventID 1000. Most of the time the faulting module is windows.storage.dll, and other times it is ntdll.dll or DUI70.dll. Here is an example of one of the error logs:

I did enable crash dumps for explorer at some point, but was unable to understand any of the data it provided. Here's some statistics about my computer in case that matters:

Previously I was having this issue before the Creators update, but as you'll see below, updating to the latest version of Windows did not solve the issue.

EDIT Here is a Crash Dump provided by explorer.exe after I enabled CrashDumps through registry: Crash Dump

Potential Solutions

Here is a list of everything I have tried to fix this issue. Keep in mind that none of the things listed have seemed to solve it, the issue still occurred.

• Reset File Explorer Preferences
    • Cleared File Explorer History
    • Enabled "Launch Folder Windows in Separate Process"
    • Ran netsh winsock reset
    • Disabled Quick Access Folder viewing and File viewing
    • Cleared Quick Access history
    • Ran sfc scannow
    • Ran antivirus
    • Ran a windows file explorer support program (this detected several other "issues" and apparently fixed them but the issue persisted)
    • Booted in Safe Mode without Networking, issue persisted
    • Performed a Clean Boot without any startup programs or services, issue persisted
    • Deleted BagMRU and Bags subkeys in the Registry (which should've reset file explorer preferences per directory)
    • Restarted the explorer.exe process with Admin privileges
    • Updated BIOS to latest version
    • Updated Windows 10 to latest version
    • Disabled fast-boot
    • Ran ShellExView and disabled all non-Microsoft shell extensions
    • Ran Dism /Online CheckHealth, there were no hard disk errors

Here is a list of things I haven't tried that could fix the issue (but I'm hesitant to do because of their very nature).

• Reinstall Windows 10?
    • Disable Microsoft Shell Extensions?!
    • Shift everything to a new Admin account?
    • Destroy computer?

Discussion

I've searched online for this issue and have found many, many articles of people having crashing problems. While some of them seem to be similar to mine, the details are actually quite different. And the fixes they have all given haven't worked as a result of that. For example, many people have issues where explorer.exe crashes on startup, but this isn't what I experience.

I have found one forum post which matches my problem exactly and you should check it out here. There are more logs and attempted fixes listed there, and the crash dumps and error warnings are all identical to what I'm experiencing. Yet there still wasn't a clear fix at the end of that post. It seems like creating a new user could solve the issue, but that still doesn't explain why the issue occurred in the first place. Additionally, it was hinted that the issue would return even after a new account was made.

I can see that my explorer.exe program was modified by the latest Windows 10 update, as the creation date has changed. Yet the issue persists. So even with a completely new explorer.exe, the issue is still happening.

What I understand

I don't believe any service or actively running third party program is at fault here. After all, I ran a Clean Boot AND Safe Mode boot, and the issue seemed to persist. Could this in fact be an issue with the program explorer.exe data itself? Or some obscure setting in the User data? It's also likely not the fault of file corruption or virus interference, as the sfc scan AND CheckHealth yielded no results. Also, the problem occurs on external disks, which means it's unlikely that hard drive is at fault. Additionally, memory leakage doesn't seem to be the issue either. Drivers were all disabled during Safe Mode, so I don't think any updates are at fault. Could it possible that a virus or driver update somehow modifed a .dll and then stopped running? Does sfc scan to see if Windows files are intact? Is there a way to check such a thing? Could my user profile be corrupted? I'm just throwing out ideas.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

RobProductions, Mar 7, 2021
  4. Explorer.exe crashes on occasion, faulting module is always combase.dll, ran Shellview to...

emzdecmp4_h263.dll causes windows explorer crash

When browsing folders with video files in windows explorer, a crash occurs.

Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.3156, faulting module emzdecmp4_h263.dll, version 2.6.1.0, fault address 0x00002827.

If I unregister this file, the problems stops.

IE: regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nokia\Codecs\EmzDecMP4_H263.dll"

Windows XP Pro SP2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.090206-1233)

PC Suite v7.1.28.1

six3one---01, Mar 7, 2021
Thema:

Explorer.exe crashes on occasion, faulting module is always combase.dll, ran Shellview to...

1. Explorer.exe crashes on occasion, faulting module is always combase.dll, ran Shellview to... - Similar Threads - Explorer exe crashes

2. Faulting module name: OLEAUT32.dll Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Faulting module name: OLEAUT32.dll Error: Hiya,I am trying to launch a 3D map editor called Radiant Black but keep getting this error in event viewer. The program will start launching then crash with no error displayed.I have noticed rarely the program will open, maybe once every 100 attempts.I have tried the...
  3. Faulting module name: OLEAUT32.dll Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Faulting module name: OLEAUT32.dll Error: Hiya,I am trying to launch a 3D map editor called Radiant Black but keep getting this error in event viewer. The program will start launching then crash with no error displayed.I have noticed rarely the program will open, maybe once every 100 attempts.I have tried the...
  4. Faulting module name: OLEAUT32.dll Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. What is Faulting module name: COMCTL32.dll

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is Faulting module name: COMCTL32.dll: Windows 10, 21H2 JapaneseRe-installed around 2022, July 20I used to use a music making software on Windows Vista, I re-installed it on Windows 10 computer. It is working but some time all of sudden it exit the program. I checked the Event View and translated Japanese in to...
  6. What is Faulting module name: COMCTL32.dll

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is Faulting module name: COMCTL32.dll: Windows 10, 21H2 JapaneseRe-installed around 2022, July 20I used to use a music making software on Windows Vista, I re-installed it on Windows 10 computer. It is working but some time all of sudden it exit the program. I checked the Event View and translated Japanese in to...
  7. What is Faulting module name: COMCTL32.dll

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Msvcr.120 dll faulting module

Msvcr.120 dll faulting module: Faulting application name: CharacterCreator.exe, version: 3.40.3923.1, time stamp: 0x6059dc38Faulting module name: MSVCR120.dll, version: 12.0.40664.0, time stamp: 0x59260924Exception code: 0xc0000409Fault offset: 0x0000000000074890Faulting process id: 0x2960Faulting...
  9. Faulting module name: MSVCR120.dll

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Faulting module name: MSVCR120.dll: Hello, I have a digitally purchased version of Adobe Premiere Elements 15. Despite having no issues for several years of use, suddenly Adobe Elements 15 will not launch on my PC Dell latitude e7440. Once launched the application spends a few moments initializing before it...
  10. Faulting application name: conhost.exe, and Faulting module name: ConhostV2.dll

Faulting application name: conhost.exe, and Faulting module name: ConhostV2.dll: Trying to determine cause of crashes, multiple devices occurring at 3 different times in the day (i.e. 8762 crashes on 2002 devices yesterday) . Affecting Windows 7 64bit and Windows 10 64 bit, Enterprise Doesn't indicate any specific application. No dump files. Errors...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. combase.dll explorer.exe