Windows 10: explorer.exe crashes when copying files between explorer windows

Discus and support explorer.exe crashes when copying files between explorer windows in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, I've got a number of users experiencing frequent (but not consistent) crash/reloads of explorer.exe when doing a drag/drop or copy/paste from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Travis Hare, Apr 24, 2019.

1. explorer.exe crashes when copying files between explorer windows

Hi all,

I've got a number of users experiencing frequent (but not consistent) crash/reloads of explorer.exe when doing a drag/drop or copy/paste from one file explorer window to another.

When it happens, the event log shows about 4-5 entries like the one below. Any ideas on this one? I've done a bunch of searching and tried the usual "fixes" (chkdsk / r, sfc /scannow) with no change. However I haven't found anything that shows HXACCOUNTS.exe as the faulting application.

These folks are running Windows 10 1803.

Log Name: System

Source: Application Popup

Date: 4/23/2019 3:07:28 PM

Event ID: 26

Task Category: None

Level: Information

Keywords:

User: SYSTEM

Computer: COMPUTER NAME REMOVED

Description:

Application popup: HxAccounts.exe - System Error : Exception Processing Message 0xc0000005 Parameters 0x7ff9c55e1c38 0x7ff9c55e1c38 0x7ff9c55e1c38 0x7ff9c55e1c38

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Popup" Guid="{47BFA2B7-BD54-4FAC-B70B-29021084CA8F}" />

<EventID>26</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>4</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-04-23T21:07:28.315506600Z" />

<EventRecordID>17807</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="724" ThreadID="744" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>COMPUTER NAME REMOVED</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="Caption">HxAccounts.exe - System Error</Data>

<Data Name="Message">Exception Processing Message 0xc0000005 Parameters 0x7ff9c55e1c38 0x7ff9c55e1c38 0x7ff9c55e1c38 0x7ff9c55e1c38</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

:)

Travis Hare, Apr 24, 2019
  2. temp02 Win User

Windows Explorer crashing due to large files

It's an .exe right? Explorer probably read its icon (to a cache) when it was a "small" file and now call the quits when it finds "such a big" file.

If you want to delete it, use the console after killing explorer, you can run the console from TaskManager (Application -> New Task -> cmd). You might want to try copy the file to a different location (copy, not cut) and see if explorer can handle it in the new location before deleting it.

temp02, Apr 24, 2019
  3. Windows Explorer crashing due to large files

thats wierd... iv never had a large file crash explorer before....

and i have files ranging upto 80GB...

slyfox2151, Apr 24, 2019
  4. Harvy Win User

explorer.exe crashes when copying files between explorer windows

Windows explorer crashing

Hi,

I am having the same problem as the OP in this thread.
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

I have tried the fixes listed in the above thread and I am getting the same error message as 'ktadie' (post 16). I think this is because I am running Windows 7 Professional. Windows explorer crashes when I open my 'Films' folder on my brand new 2tb external HDD. I have about 300 .avi files in this folder and some of the .avi files are several years old.

In short I believe I need the same fix given by 'Wile E' (post 7) but updated for Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks in advance.

Harvy, Apr 24, 2019
Thema:

explorer.exe crashes when copying files between explorer windows

1. explorer.exe crashes when copying files between explorer windows - Similar Threads - explorer exe crashes

2. When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes.: When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes. It is treated only if you transfer this exe file to the desktop and click on it there. After that, the error disappears for a while. What to do?error log in windows journal- System - Provider [ Name] Application Error -...
  3. When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes.: When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes. It is treated only if you transfer this exe file to the desktop and click on it there. After that, the error disappears for a while. What to do?error log in windows journal- System - Provider [ Name] Application Error -...
  4. Explorer exe crashing when exiting several programs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer exe crashing when exiting several programs.: Did basic troubleshooting steps, sfc scannow etc nothing showed up.Was using startisback and custom themes, removed them still no fix.Event viewer showsFaulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.19041.1645, time stamp: 0x7c06cc0eFaulting module name: verifier.dll,...
  5. Copy crashes windows explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy crashes windows explorer: When copying or cutting in windows explorer all open explorer windows close on pasting.Drag and drop still works fine.I have run a virus check.Checked Reliability and this started after three windows...
  6. Windows Explorer keeps crashing when attempting move or copy files

Windows Explorer keeps crashing when attempting move or copy files: Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exeProblem signatureProblem Event Name: APPCRASHApplication Name: Explorer.EXEApplication Version: 10.0.19041.1110Application Timestamp: e86d289eFault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dllFault Module Version: 10.0.19041.1110Fault Module...
  7. File Explorer crashes when attempting to copy files from camera

File Explorer crashes when attempting to copy files from camera: I have been trying to copy files from my digital camera but when I attempt to paste in a local folder, File Explorer crashes and refuses to allow me to make the transfer. This has happened several times recently over multiple days I have restarted the computer several times....
  8. Explorer crashes whenever I copy a file

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer crashes whenever I copy a file: I was having issues so I did a fresh install on Windows 10 Professional and make sure I had all of the updates. Now when I copy and paste a file somewhere, move a file or create a shortcut it causes explorer to crash and I'm not sure why as I haven't modified any system...
  9. Windows Explorer/Shell crashes when copy/pasting files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer/Shell crashes when copy/pasting files: Hi there! I've got a similar Problem to this one here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-windows-explorer-keeps-crashing/9805d5e7-ba72-44c7-bf4b-43cce92aecaf Sadly, this hasn't been solved, but my error log is also different to the one in...
  10. Windows explorer crashes when copying files (corrupted heap?)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows explorer crashes when copying files (corrupted heap?): When I try to copy files, explorer.exe crashes. Randomly in the middle of a file transfer, it looks like explorer refreshes and then the copying is no longer happening. I looked around in many forum posts and ended up following some instructions in other questions to...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when i try to move or open microsoft product in windows explorer in crashes on me