Windows 10: Explorer.exe crashes when pressing Alt+Tab

Discus and support Explorer.exe crashes when pressing Alt+Tab in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I'm currently facing an issue where explorer.exe is continuously crashing when I alt+tab. I've also noticed it when trying to do other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rdavila93, Oct 3, 2019.

1. rdavila93 Win User

Explorer.exe crashes when pressing Alt+Tab

Hello,

I'm currently facing an issue where explorer.exe is continuously crashing when I alt+tab.

I've also noticed it when trying to do other things such as snap an explorer window to fill half of my screen.

This issue started occurring just this week and I checked my latest Windows updates and noticed I installed were the following.

Updates:

KB4515871
    KB4520390

KB4517211

Here is an output of the event viewer.

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 10/3/2019 8:13:48 AM

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: OWNER.work.local

Description:

The description for Event ID 1000 from source Application Error cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Explorer.EXE

0e377b6c

WmWin.dll

5cdf24a8

c0000005

0000000000025fc8

01d579fd237b0749

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WmWin.dll

487ef5ce-2d2b-414f-98e3-984e6445d26c

The handle is invalid

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-10-03T15:13:48.535058300Z" />

<EventRecordID>376256</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>ABAHMANI.eccu.local</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>Explorer.EXE</Data>

<Data>10.0.18362.387</Data>

<Data>0e377b6c</Data>

<Data>WmWin.dll</Data>

<Data>8.3.100.148</Data>

<Data>5cdf24a8</Data>

<Data>c0000005</Data>

<Data>0000000000025fc8</Data>

<Data>2774</Data>

<Data>01d579fd237b0749</Data>

<Data>C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE</Data>

<Data>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WmWin.dll</Data>

<Data>487ef5ce-2d2b-414f-98e3-984e6445d26c</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

I also tried running the system file checker and DISM to repair any corrupt files.

This did not seem to work.

Any information helps.

Thank you.

:)

rdavila93, Oct 3, 2019
  2. Polarman Win User

alt + tab not working

Alt-Tabbing in & out of games does not always work. It can also crash games in some cases.

Polarman, Oct 3, 2019
  3. Alt + Tab = Crash

Good evening,

It appears that Windows 10 keeps crashing whenever I Alt + Tab out of a game and then attempt to go back in. When I Alt + Tab back in I'm met with a black screen. Then Windows 10 freeze and I can't do anything.

Steps to reproduce:

(1) Start game

(2) Alt + Tab out

(3) Do whatever in Windows 10

(4) Alt + Tab back in

>>>Black screen

(5a) Ctrl + Alt + Delete to end process of game

(6a) No clickable buttons in Windows 10 (can't even shut down)

(5b) Ctrl + Alt + Delete

(6b) Shut down (just spins indefinitely and doesn't actually shut down)

This is a on a brand new copy of Windows 10 (not an upgrade). My current specifications are below:

-MSI SLI Plus X99 Motherboard

-16 GBs 2800 MHz RAM

-2x NVIDIA Titan X GPUs

-512 GB M2 SSD

-1600w EVGA PSU

Please advise on what is happening and if this will be fixed soon.

David_Compart, Oct 3, 2019
  4. Explorer.exe crashes when pressing Alt+Tab

alt tabbing increases system performance?

Alt+tab often forces the game to reinitialize the DirectX renderer. It's likely an opportunity to reattempt to start SLI/Crossfire if it didn't start with the game.

Mind you, alt+tab is as likely to cause the game to crash as it is to improve performance. Some games support it, some don't, and some are somewhere in between.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 3, 2019
Thema:

Explorer.exe crashes when pressing Alt+Tab

1. Explorer.exe crashes when pressing Alt+Tab - Similar Threads - Explorer exe crashes

2. The tabs on Egde aren't switching when I press Alt +Tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The tabs on Egde aren't switching when I press Alt +Tab: Hello,I'm experiencing an issue with Alt+Tab behavior on Microsoft Edge tabs after changing the settings in Alt+Tab Window under Settings > System > Multitasking > All Tabs in Windows 11. Specifically, the tabs aren't switching when I press Alt+Tab. Has anyone else...
  3. The tabs on Egde aren't switching when I press Alt +Tab

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The tabs on Egde aren't switching when I press Alt +Tab: Hello,I'm experiencing an issue with Alt+Tab behavior on Microsoft Edge tabs after changing the settings in Alt+Tab Window under Settings > System > Multitasking > All Tabs in Windows 11. Specifically, the tabs aren't switching when I press Alt+Tab. Has anyone else...
  4. When i press Alt+Tab then esc, instead of closing the menu it switches tabs

When i press Alt+Tab then esc, instead of closing the menu it switches tabs: Hello, recently moved from mac to windows and one of the most annoying things i'm facing is when i'm trying to switch tabs with "Alt+Tab" but then changes my mind and want to stay on current tab, I press esc to close the menu but instead it just acts as me pressing "Enter"...
  5. ALT highlight trigger when press ALT + TAB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ALT highlight trigger when press ALT + TAB: When I try use ALT TAB to look for other windows, and comeback to original windows, the menu got highlighted in original windowsExample:When I try to type this question, and ALT TAB twice, I need to press ESC to exit menu highlight. its a bit annoying when you need to type...
  6. ALT highlight trigger when press ALT + TAB

ALT highlight trigger when press ALT + TAB: When I try use ALT TAB to look for other windows, and comeback to original windows, the menu got highlighted in original windowsExample:When I try to type this question, and ALT TAB twice, I need to press ESC to exit menu highlight. its a bit annoying when you need to type...
  7. Alt + Tab crashes Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Alt + Tab crashes Windows Explorer: Since oneweek my Windows Explorer crashes when I make Alt + Tab. The eventlog shows the following message: Application:explorer.exe Frameworkversion: v4.0.30319 Description:The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exceptioninformation: Exception code...
  8. Edge stuck as first window when pressing Alt + Tab

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edge stuck as first window when pressing Alt + Tab: When pressing Alt + Tab multiple times, sometimes Edge is stuck as the first window and the current window as second, so Alt + Tab won't move me into Edge, but in a third window. I have the Open windows only setting in Settings > System > Multitasking. How can I prevent this?...
  9. Explorer crashing every alt tab

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer crashing every alt tab: Hi, My explorer.exe keeps crashing every time I Alt+tab. Due to the attached event-log I've narrowed it down to the display driver, but I cannot seem to get rid of it. I've tried uninstalling the displaydriver with DDU and then reinstalling different version of the graphics...
  10. Since 2004, explorer crashes on alt-tab

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Since 2004, explorer crashes on alt-tab: Hi, I have a problem now since updating to May 2004 Update, which is that the explorer frequently crashes when alt-tabbing between processes. I had this problem one or two years ago already and essentially fixed it by checking the option to run each window in its own process...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what might cause stuff to crash when alt tab