Windows 10: Explorer.exe crashing and freezing when opening taskbar from other monitor

Discus and support Explorer.exe crashing and freezing when opening taskbar from other monitor in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi, I've been having this issue the last couple of days and it's been getting worse. Whenever I open the Windows menu on a secondary monitor, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Ryan EK, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Ryan EK Win User

Explorer.exe crashing and freezing when opening taskbar from other monitor

Hi, I've been having this issue the last couple of days and it's been getting worse. Whenever I open the Windows menu on a secondary monitor, the search bar gets highlighted or pops up on the primary monitor. It's gotten worse recently where now the search bar flickers and switches font and the icons start glitching out. This causes explorer to slowly start consuming more CPU, beginning to freeze, before eventually crashing and restarting. This renders the taskbar unusable on my tri-monitor config. I have attempted the following:Restarting the PCRestarting Explorer.exeResetting Search through

:)

Ryan EK, Feb 1, 2023
  2. vinceip Win User

Explorer Crash FIX!

Our old Dell Inspiron N5110 got this problem also.
    Taskbar keeps refreshing. Thanks many hints from guys above pointed me the direction to fix it.
    From Reliability History Monitor I found Explorer keeps crashing because of IDTNC64.CPL (type reliability history at Start)
    1. the issue was from IDTNC64.cpl, the sound driver,
    but I could not successfully to uninstall it from device manager nor control panel or rename the file or the folder.
    2. uninstalled High Definition Audio Device few times, problem remain
    3. tried to uninstall within Control Panel > Program file, yet Control Panel only open 2, 3 seconds then closed automatically.
    4. finally solved Control Panel shut down problem by going to msconfig>services>and disable Windows Error Reporting Service. see below sequence:
    Click window + R keys, type msconfig, Enter to open msconfig, click Services Tag and look for Windows Error Reporting Service. Unchecked it, then apply, ok then reboot system when it suggests.
    5. After this, open Control Panel by clicking Start > type Control Panel. Then my Control Panel open and stay put, won't shut down by itself.
    6. In Control Panel > Programs > I found IDT Audio and successfully to uninstall it.
    7. No more taskbar refresh or Windows Explore shut down after uninstalled IDT and Sound still works great!!!
    8. repeat step 4 to check Windows Error Reporting Services by clicking it. OK then follow system suggestion to reboot.
    9. Control Panel still able to open and remain open. Sound still works and no more refresh.
    10. From Reliability History monitor found no more Windows Explorer crashing.
    I am happy and hope above steps help

vinceip, Feb 1, 2023
  3. linhlz Win User
    File Explorer crash when opened from taskbar (never happened before)

Method 1.

You should be able to fix this problem by disabling DEP (Data Execution Prevention)
    • Step 1.Log in computer with Administrator account to make sure you have fully administrative rights.
    • Step 2. If your computer is running Windows XP, click "Start" button and select "Run". Windows 7 user can press Windows and R keys. Type sysdm.cpl in Run box and click OK.
    • Step 3. You can see System Prosperities window from which you need to click Advanced tab and then Settings.
    • Step 4. The "Performance Options" window will pop up and please click "Data Execution Protection" tab. Select the option "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" and click "Add" button.
    • Step 5. Browse files from the Open applet and find the exe files of the software which causes the error code. Select it and click "Open" button.
    • Step 6. Click "Apply" and "OK" to make changes take effect.

Method 2. Update Internet Explorer

linhlz, Feb 1, 2023
  4. Erika Aro Win User

window file explorer freezes while black strip comes above the explorer window

Hi Sunny,

Windows Explorer freezes may be due to third-party programs or virus infection. As an initial troubleshooting step, temporarily disable your antivirus programs. After that, replicate the issue if it will freeze. You can enable your antivirus program after
    we troubleshoot.

If the issue persists, you can try refreshing/restarting Windows Explorer by following these steps:

• Open Task Manager by typing it in the Cortana search bar, then press Enter.
    • Look for Windows Explorer, then right-click it and select End task.
    • The taskbar will disappear at the bottom of your screen.
    • On the Task Manager, look for any installed application like your browser.
    • Right-click it and select the Open file location. A new window will appear.
    • Click the File tab and select Open Windows Powershell, then select Open Windows Powershell as administrator.
    • Type in explorer.exe and press Enter.

It should put the taskbar back at the bottom of your screen. Check if it will freeze again.

Keep us posted after performing the troubleshooting steps.

Erika Aro, Feb 1, 2023
Thema:

1. Explorer.exe crashing and freezing when opening taskbar from other monitor - Similar Threads - Explorer exe crashing

2. Explorer.exe crashing and freezing when opening taskbar from other monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer.exe crashing and freezing when opening taskbar from other monitor: Hi, I've been having this issue the last couple of days and it's been getting worse. Whenever I open the Windows menu on a secondary monitor, the search bar gets highlighted or pops up on the primary monitor. It's gotten worse recently where now the search bar flickers and...
  3. Explorer.exe crashing and freezing when opening taskbar from other monitor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer.exe crashing and freezing when opening taskbar from other monitor: Hi, I've been having this issue the last couple of days and it's been getting worse. Whenever I open the Windows menu on a secondary monitor, the search bar gets highlighted or pops up on the primary monitor. It's gotten worse recently where now the search bar flickers and...
  4. Everytime i open a exe file explorer crashes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Everytime i open a exe file explorer crashes: Hello! whenever i open exe file my file explorers stops and i cant click anythinh after 1 hour or so it runs the exe files which if i try to force close using task maganger EXPLORER It blacks out my screen and i got to restart any resolve? if so please reply thanks!...
  5. Everytime i open a exe file explorer crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Everytime i open a exe file explorer crashes: Hello! whenever i open exe file my file explorers stops and i cant click anythinh after 1 hour or so it runs the exe files which if i try to force close using task maganger EXPLORER It blacks out my screen and i got to restart any resolve? if so please reply thanks!...
  6. Everytime i open a exe file explorer crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. issue with open exe files and opening apps from taskbar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    issue with open exe files and opening apps from taskbar: when i try and open exe files from my file browser or my desktop it comes up with "you'll need a new app to open this .exe file" and when i try and open apps from taskbar it says C:\Users\Home\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User...
  8. Explorer freezes when launching .exe installer file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer freezes when launching .exe installer file.: Hello, This is a non existential issue but a really boring one. Whenever I try to launch an .exe INSTALLER application, wherever I launched it from freezes for around 5 minutes or more before launching the installer. For exemple when I download a random installer, let's say...
  9. File Explorer crash when opened from taskbar (never happened before)

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer crash when opened from taskbar (never happened before): So I just tried to open the File Explorer and as soon as the quick access menu was about to load the window disappeared and the taskbar was reloading. I looked and found that Explorer.EXE had crashed with exception code 0xc0000005 and the faulting module was ntdll.dll. Just...
  10. Taskbar freezes, windows explorer crashes.

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar freezes, windows explorer crashes.: I need help fixing this! I cant reformat my PC though. 101168