Windows 10: Explorer.exe Hang During Login Process

Discus and support Explorer.exe Hang During Login Process in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Having an issue with various Windows 10 and some Windows 7 clients where once a user logs in to their PC or VM their desktop begins to load, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Brian D Samec, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Explorer.exe Hang During Login Process

Having an issue with various Windows 10 and some Windows 7 clients where once a user logs in to their PC or VM their desktop begins to load, but doesnt finish. Explorer.exe is hung at this point as clicking anywhere on the screen will bring up the error that explorer.exe has stopped. Hovering over the Start / Windows bar on bottom left just shows a spinning circle. Can do a CTL-ALT-DEL and bring up Task Manager, As a work around we are stopping the explorer.exe process and then restarting via task manager, which starts explorer and no errors come up. The restarts can take a few attempts (explorer process starts but login is still hung and clicking anywhere will bring up the explorer crashed msg again) but eventually the login will complete and the users can work from there. Not sure what is going on....hoping others may have seen something similar.

Our Users login with their AD accounts and have their desktop / documents / favorites / pictures folders redirected from the network (via GPO) to their computers and Group Policies are run on the machines as well.

If you login to a machine with a local administrative account, the machines login fine each time with no explorer.exe hangs / crashes.

We took a few affected machines and put them in an OU with Group Policy Inheritance disabled and the users logged into the machines fine each time from there, but of course had no profile folders or policies running on them. We thought the issue was with Group Policy but when we had a ticket open with MS and gave them RSOP results from several affected computers, they said they couldnt see any issues. We then tried removing certain applications from Startup and thought we had found the answer when we removed Box from startup as the issues seemed to cease for the affected users. But now we are starting to see more issues of this happening and removing Box from startup isnt stopping the issue. We've gone through and disabled, stopped just about every startup app on an affected test machine we have and the issue persists after each reboot. One odd thing I noticed when testing was that when the hang occurs, I can stop and start explorer a few times until it finally finishes the login, but all the attempts that dont work do not show up in the Event Logs as even happening (Application or System). Nothing shows in the logs If a machine hangs at 1:27 PM and I dont get it working again until 1:35 PM the Application and System logs have no events during that time. Once login is working, logs start showing messages again.....

Hoping someone may have some idea of what could be the issue here? I really dont want to have to take a machine, put it in an OU with inheritance disabled and then start adding policies a few at a time and testing the login as that would be LONG and tedious process to just find out its none of the GPO's causing it.....

:)

Brian D Samec, Feb 25, 2019
  2. zephyrus Win User

some .exe files hang

In the last 48 hours, some .exe files do not execute. If started from explorer, explorer hangs. No error messages. These files run on another Win 10 machine. Nothing obvious in the event viewer. I note that *.exe file cannot be deleted when the system is in this state. I must reboot to regain access to the .exe file. sfc /scannnow shows no errors.

Any suggestions?

zephyrus, Feb 25, 2019
  3. YIN
    Yin Win User
    Dual iexplorer processes???

I would suggest you run process explorer on the machine so you can find out what applications are running.

process explorer shows you more than just task manager

4. SarahKong Win User

Explorer.exe Hang During Login Process

File explorer hangs

Sorry I got nothing more to suggest then.

File explorer hanging is an image issue. So if you can't do a repair upgrade or reset your PC then you can contact microsoft support directly to see if they have further steps but I am sure they are going to tell the same thing i did.

SarahKong, Feb 25, 2019
Thema:

Explorer.exe Hang During Login Process

1. Explorer.exe Hang During Login Process - Similar Threads - Explorer exe Hang

2. Hang when processes interact with Explorer to select a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hang when processes interact with Explorer to select a file: I've noticed that a few programs will hang after opening an explorer process to select a file. The two I notice it most are Pageant and Chrome as one is used every time the PC is restarted and the other is used throught my working day.The hang will not occur every time, and...
  3. Hang when processes interact with Explorer to select a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hang when processes interact with Explorer to select a file: I've noticed that a few programs will hang after opening an explorer process to select a file. The two I notice it most are Pageant and Chrome as one is used every time the PC is restarted and the other is used throught my working day.The hang will not occur every time, and...
  4. Explorer process hanging upon user login 21H2 roaming profiles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer process hanging upon user login 21H2 roaming profiles: Hi,We just re-imaged out machines with Windows 10 21H2 LTSB build 19044.1645 and after a lot of narrowing down I found out roaming profiles, as defined in folder redirection GPO, is causing the explorer process to hang on login. It doesn't happen every time but probably 1 in...
  5. Explorer process hanging upon user login 21H2 roaming profiles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer process hanging upon user login 21H2 roaming profiles: Hi,We just re-imaged out machines with Windows 10 21H2 LTSB build 19044.1645 and after a lot of narrowing down I found out roaming profiles, as defined in folder redirection GPO, is causing the explorer process to hang on login. It doesn't happen every time but probably 1 in...
  6. Explorer process hanging upon user login 21H2 roaming profiles

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails: Hi, Sometimes File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails. Most of times it happens when I open a folder which contains a lot of FLAC files. But it can happen in totally random times as well, for example when I quickly switch between folders. When it happens, I can't do...
  8. Logon process slows down during simultaneous login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Logon process slows down during simultaneous login: In our computer labs, if we log in to a machine or 10 machines simultaneously the logon time for each machine is less than 30 seconds. But if we try to login to 20 or more machines then the login process takes longer. The first machine to complete the login takes about 40...
  9. Login hangs

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Login hangs: Hello everyone. It is my first time here though I have searched high and low within the forum to find what's going on with my machine. It is running Windows 10 Home edition and ever since I added a user account on there for my wife it has been hanging at the login screen....
  10. some .exe files hang

in Windows 10 Support
    some .exe files hang: In the last 48 hours, some .exe files do not execute. If started from explorer, explorer hangs. No error messages. These files run on another Win 10 machine. Nothing obvious in the event viewer. I note that *.exe file cannot be deleted when the system is in this state. I must...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. explorer.exe hang

2. explorer.exe hanging

3. explorer.exe hanging at log-in

4. explorer process user login