Windows 10: Explorer.EXE hangs immediately upon log in

Discus and support Explorer.EXE hangs immediately upon log in in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; We have installed 300 new HP all-in-one computers recently. For the most part all is going well but they have one issue that is making me scratch my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MarkPhillipsWSC, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Explorer.EXE hangs immediately upon log in

We have installed 300 new HP all-in-one computers recently. For the most part all is going well but they have one issue that is making me scratch my head as I really don't know where to start troubleshooting. The problem is that sometimes when a user logs on the cursor will stick at the "circle" icon and the computer will not respond to anything. If you leave it alone long enough it will all spring into life but this can be a few minutes so can get frustrating. The other quick way to get round it is to ctrl-alt-del, sign out then back in. In every case this gets the PC working more quickly but is obviously not ideal.

The issue we have with troubleshooting is that it doesn't happen all the time and never leaves any trace of evidence when it does happen. Nothing in logs, no memory dumps that I can find. We can't test for it reliably as it is so random.

Just ideas on where to begin would be good.

We're running Windows 10 Enterprise Education - 1703 build. The image is installed via SCCM OSD using the HP supplied driver package. The BIOS on the machines is fully up-to-date.

Not really sure where to go from there so any help gratefully received Explorer.EXE hangs immediately upon log in :)

Please shout if more information is necessary..

:)

MarkPhillipsWSC, Jul 8, 2019
  2. zephyrus Win User

some .exe files hang

In the last 48 hours, some .exe files do not execute. If started from explorer, explorer hangs. No error messages. These files run on another Win 10 machine. Nothing obvious in the event viewer. I note that *.exe file cannot be deleted when the system is in this state. I must reboot to regain access to the .exe file. sfc /scannnow shows no errors.

Any suggestions?

zephyrus, Jul 8, 2019
  3. SarahKong Win User
    File explorer hangs

Sorry I got nothing more to suggest then.

File explorer hanging is an image issue. So if you can't do a repair upgrade or reset your PC then you can contact microsoft support directly to see if they have further steps but I am sure they are going to tell the same thing i did.

SarahKong, Jul 8, 2019
  4. kd833 Win User

Explorer.EXE hangs immediately upon log in

Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file

I have a folder full of *.exe files. When I navigate to the folder to read its content (files listed in "tile" mode), Explorer hangs for a minute or two displaying in the title bar "not responding". Eventually, the files are displayed but it is a bit of a pain. I modified Explorer's view options to not display thumbnails or icons of the files. But that had no effect. Is it that Explorer is attempting to read the content of these exe files to display the embedded images regardless of how I configure Explorer to operate? Is there anything that can be done to make Explorer display these files faster?

kd833, Jul 8, 2019
Thema:

Explorer.EXE hangs immediately upon log in

1. Explorer.EXE hangs immediately upon log in - Similar Threads - Explorer EXE hangs

2. Explorer process hanging upon user login 21H2 roaming profiles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer process hanging upon user login 21H2 roaming profiles: Hi,We just re-imaged out machines with Windows 10 21H2 LTSB build 19044.1645 and after a lot of narrowing down I found out roaming profiles, as defined in folder redirection GPO, is causing the explorer process to hang on login. It doesn't happen every time but probably 1 in...
  3. Explorer process hanging upon user login 21H2 roaming profiles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer process hanging upon user login 21H2 roaming profiles: Hi,We just re-imaged out machines with Windows 10 21H2 LTSB build 19044.1645 and after a lot of narrowing down I found out roaming profiles, as defined in folder redirection GPO, is causing the explorer process to hang on login. It doesn't happen every time but probably 1 in...
  4. Explorer process hanging upon user login 21H2 roaming profiles

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. RDP connection logs me off immediately upon connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RDP connection logs me off immediately upon connection: I have a group of pcs running windows 10 pro and only 1 has a problem with RDP connections logging the user off immediately after connection. Not only does it not allow the connection but it completely logs the user off if they were previously logged in locally. I have...
  6. When I search for a document in File Explorer it either finds it immediately or hangs...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    When I search for a document in File Explorer it either finds it immediately or hangs...: [ATTACH] When I search for a document in File Explorer it either finds it immediately or this green bar comes up, appearing to be a search in progress but will just hang on this 'almost finished' percentage forever. Why?...
  7. Explorer,EXE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Explorer,EXE: Please help me find a solution on this message; 'The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation' Hoping someone has a simple solution, Thanks...
  8. Internet Explorer 11 Crashes Immediately Upon Opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Internet Explorer 11 Crashes Immediately Upon Opening: This just started to be a problem on two computers I oversee. As soon as you open IE11 you get a white screen - not responding - and then about 20 seconds later it closes. I have tried everything except for a fresh install... I've reset IE to default, I've uninstalled by...
  9. some .exe files hang

in Windows 10 Support
    some .exe files hang: In the last 48 hours, some .exe files do not execute. If started from explorer, explorer hangs. No error messages. These files run on another Win 10 machine. Nothing obvious in the event viewer. I note that *.exe file cannot be deleted when the system is in this state. I must...
  10. Frustrating: Computer freezes immediately upon startup...

in Windows 10 Support
    Frustrating: Computer freezes immediately upon startup...: Try booting into Safe Mode. I then suggest using Autoruns to check all startup programs / services / tasks. Look or search for anything related to Verizon and disable that. You need to peruse the startup profiles in Autoruns for all users.
Tags: