Windows 10: Explorer.exe hangs when right clicking on desktop or in file explorer.

Discus and support Explorer.exe hangs when right clicking on desktop or in file explorer. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Basically it crashes when I right click in explorer application or desktop so I cant delete files using mouse or create files. Also first time today... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ZeatNest, Mar 21, 2021.

1. ZeatNest Win User

Explorer.exe hangs when right clicking on desktop or in file explorer.

Basically it crashes when I right click in explorer application or desktop so I cant delete files using mouse or create files. Also first time today onedrive crashed with it and I was instantly able to right click again. Usually it goes away after 2minutes and happens again in next boot after some time. Also have event viewer log if it helps. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhBvqeHpahIV_XffZj0c_oDbeMAJ?e=5XuFLJ

:)

ZeatNest, Mar 21, 2021
  2. Sasqui Win User

Explorer hangs for a second when right clicking empty space

Are you talking windows explorer or internet explorer?

First thought, some sort of timeout problem. Explorer is trying to connect to something that isn't there or not responding.

Edit: I just saw this... so windows explorer:

I've seen similar behavior in Excel when a network printer (that was the default) wasn't available, Excel would hang for a second on just about every click. Solution was to change the default printer to PDF or something local. I'm only saying that because something analogous could be happening in your case.

Edit2:

Read this: http://www.winhelponline.com/xp/slowrightclick.htm

Sasqui, Mar 21, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop

Download: ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows
    NOTE: download version 1.97 or later, else Restart Explorer won't work in step 4

1. This program does not require installation, just right click and run as Administrator
    2. From the menu, click on Options then click on Filter by Extension Type and select Context Menu. Also put check marks as shown

Explorer.exe hangs when right clicking on desktop or in file explorer. [​IMG]
    3. Click on the screen, Hold down CTRL Key+A to select all then click on the red button on top left corner to disable all.
    4. Click on the Options again and select Restart Explorer
    5. Now try to right click on desktop to see if it fixes your problem. If it does then start to enable one by one and repeat step 4 until the problem occurs again, that's the offending extension.

topgundcp, Mar 21, 2021
  4. Explorer.exe hangs when right clicking on desktop or in file explorer.

Right-clicking EXE files closes (crashes?) File Explorer.

This just started, and I don't know why:

From File Explorer, right-clicking ANY file correctly opens the context menu, EXCEPT EXE FILES. Right-click one of those, and the File Explorer window instantly closes. Same thing, if I right-click an EXE file on my desktop. Right-clicking ANY other file
    type ... no problem.

RELATED: In searching for an answer, one possible solution instructed me to open an Admin COMMAND PROMPT. Can't do it. Can't open a regular Command Prompt, either. No error messages ... just nothing happens.

This computer is in such a horrible mess.......... :'(

bilglas1952, Mar 21, 2021
Thema:

Explorer.exe hangs when right clicking on desktop or in file explorer.

1. Explorer.exe hangs when right clicking on desktop or in file explorer. - Similar Threads - Explorer exe hangs

2. When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes.: When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes. It is treated only if you transfer this exe file to the desktop and click on it there. After that, the error disappears for a while. What to do?error log in windows journal- System - Provider [ Name] Application Error -...
  3. When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes.: When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes. It is treated only if you transfer this exe file to the desktop and click on it there. After that, the error disappears for a while. What to do?error log in windows journal- System - Provider [ Name] Application Error -...
  4. File explorer hangs when pressing right click on anything

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer hangs when pressing right click on anything: So, most of the times I want to use something, the Windows File Explorer hangs, I tried almost anything and nothing fixes it, some people told me that updating windows fixes it, but I did it and nothing. submitted by /u/Izanaski [link] [comments]...
  5. Problem with Right-Clicking on Desktop and File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with Right-Clicking on Desktop and File Explorer: I'm having major issues with right clicking things on the desktop and with right clicking in file explorer. When I right click on both the desktop and in file explorer, I get the blue spinning circle and it never returns back to normal. The right clicking on desktop started...
  6. File explorer crashes when right clicking on a drive in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer crashes when right clicking on a drive in explorer: I'm trying to format a USB drive but whenever I right click on it in explorer, file explorer crashes. Any tips on how to fix this? submitted by /u/barkafas2 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kf1qtn/file_explorer_crashes_when_right_clicking_on_a/
  7. Explorer hangs on right-click on Office files in Windows 10

Explorer hangs on right-click on Office files in Windows 10: Since the last one week, this problem has reappeared after a year . Whenever I right-click or double-click on an Office file Word, Excel or PPT , explorer hangs and I am unable to open the file as intended. On doing some more research, I have been able to narrow down the...
  8. Right-clicking on a WAV file will hang Explorer

Right-clicking on a WAV file will hang Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/976417/high-cpu-usage-in-the-explorer-exe-process-when-you-open-a-folder-that This problem was allegedly fixed with Windows 10, but that's not the case on my machine. Explorer will hang mf.dll when trying to read metadata on a .wav...
  9. Right click hangs for File Explorer

Right click hangs for File Explorer: I have an issue that just started, and I could use some help. I want to format a hard drive, but when I ues File Explorer and right click on it to do this, I just get " not responding" Can anyone help me to fix this please? Thank you...
  10. Can't right click .exes, explorer crashes.

Can't right click .exes, explorer crashes.: Hi, I've been having this issue since yesterday. When I try to open the context menu for an executable to, let´s say, launch it as administrator, the cursor appears as loading and the context menu won't appear. I can right-click folders and images, my problem seems to be only...