Windows 10: explorer.exe missing from registry

Discus and support explorer.exe missing from registry in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For the past couple weeks, I've been unable to use the taskbar, start menu, settings etc. and have since been trying to find a solution. Note: I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Calvin D, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Calvin D Win User

explorer.exe missing from registry

For the past couple weeks, I've been unable to use the taskbar, start menu, settings etc. and have since been trying to find a solution. Note: I can still use Windows Explorer to browse through files without issue. This happened a couple times before, but I was able to quickly fix it with a system file check. This time, that doesn't work; there's more detail about this below. I've looked far online, and none of the solutions I've tried have worked. As detailed in the SFC portion below, the problem appears to be corrupted files (including their source files) which may be related to the power outage that occurred while I was using my computer (what really sucked was that it wasn't even a real outage; power was just out for a few seconds). Now, I'm an avid gamer, resulting in a terabyte and a half of game data that I would prefer not to redownload, so I'd like to try to avoid bringing my computer to Best Buy or anywhere else that may wipe the computer, so is there anything to do without that?

Symptoms:

• Taskbar, start menu, settings, most windows programs that came with it e.g. Photos, and a couple games that I play cannot open, the latter two of which usually give error messages. Examples:
      • Photos: "File system error (-2018374635)
    • The actual file browser works perfectly well
    • Unable to install new drivers

What I've tried, in approximate chronological order:

• A lot of driver stuff with Nvidia
      • The driver symptom clearly impedes this; this was before I had any idea what was going on and was just looking online with too little information
    • System file check
      • At the end, it says, "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
        For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at

windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline

repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag."

• The file is approximately 5.5 megabytes, so I just offer a summary

• In that file, there are 24 instances in which both the system file and the file in store are corrupted.
      • Most of the affected files are in System32 and have the name "windows.[something or other]", but there a few SysWOW64 and Framework thingies, as well as a couple completely dissimilar things
    • Deleting explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe from the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\)
      • explorer.exe isn't even there
    • Booting in safe mode
      • Booting in safe mode fails and returns me to a menu offering to shut down or return to advanced options
    • (I forgot its name; I apologize in advance) The half-reset option that only affects system files
      • Same thing as safe mode
    • Checked if HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\winlogon\=explorer.exe
      • It is
    • Restart
      • I know that it seems dumb to mention, but yes, I have restarted. Many, many times at that.

:)

Calvin D, Jun 16, 2019

2. Registry entries missing

Hi Arvid,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

This might be due to the registry entries getting corrupted or missing. I would suggest you to click the article given below and try the 3rd step from the article first. If that doesn't work, continue with the other suggested troubleshooting steps one after
    the other.

Fix network connection issues

Let us know the result. We will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Wungraileng Vashi, Jun 16, 2019
  3. Explorer.exe right click context menu missing links

Hi James,

To troubleshoot your concern, we suggest that you recreate the missing links in the File Explorer. You may refer to the steps provided below:

• Type regedit in Run box.
    • Hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.
    • Verify the registry key listed below:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New\

(Default)

Has the value listed as follows:

{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}

4. Recreate it to match this value If it does not exists or if it shows a different value

5. Restart the File Explorer.

Registry Disclaimer:

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about
    how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article.

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Update us with the result.

Thank you.

Stephanie Sal, Jun 16, 2019
  4. explorer.exe missing from registry

Error message "missing registry socket"

Hi Harry,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

I realize this may be frustrating. Now that you have me with you, let me take care of this.

Winsock or Windows Sockets is a technical specification that defines how Windows network software should access network services.

Let us try the following steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Perform a Winsock Reset

• Open the Windows Start Screen or Start Menu and type
      cmd in the search box.
    • Right-click Command Prompt or cmd in the search results and select
      Run as Administrator.
    • Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt window and press
      Enter. Wait for Windows to finish resetting your Winsock configuration.
    • Reboot your computer.

Step 2: I suggest you to follow the steps suggested by

Suvarna Govinda
    (replied on February 16, 2016) and check if it helps.

"Windows Sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing" Connectivity Issues in Windows 10

"Windows Sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing" Connectivity Issues in Windows 10

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further

Abdul_Malik, Jun 16, 2019
Thema:

explorer.exe missing from registry

1. explorer.exe missing from registry - Similar Threads - explorer exe missing

2. WaasMedicSvc key missing from registry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WaasMedicSvc key missing from registry: My windows update keep disabling when I try to enable it on services.msc so I tried some guide and I didn't know that you cannot delete WaasMedicSvc, Now I lost my WaasMedicSvc and I still cannot fix my windows update, is there any way to fix it?...
  3. WaasMedicSvc key missing from registry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WaasMedicSvc key missing from registry: My windows update keep disabling when I try to enable it on services.msc so I tried some guide and I didn't know that you cannot delete WaasMedicSvc, Now I lost my WaasMedicSvc and I still cannot fix my windows update, is there any way to fix it?...
  4. WaasMedicSvc key missing from registry

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. YourPhone .exe missing

YourPhone .exe missing: Your phone stopped working after a Windows reinstall by a Microsoft tech. I have discovered that yourphone.exe is missing from my computer after including hidden files in the search. I can't get any help from Microsoft support because the techs keep taking steps designed to...
  6. YourPhone .exe missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    YourPhone .exe missing: Your phone stopped working after a Windows reinstall by a Microsoft tech. I have discovered that yourphone.exe is missing from my computer after including hidden files in the search. I can't get any help from Microsoft support because the techs keep taking steps designed to...
  7. "Showpreviewpanehandlers" missing from registry?

in Windows 10 Support
    "Showpreviewpanehandlers" missing from registry?: Windows 10, 20H2 latest updates. Detection of this issue arose during researching why my deleted RAW images (.rw2) within the Recycle Bin were showing up as program icons instead of image thumbnails (however, image thumbnails do show when opening File Explorer.) And, with the...
  8. Exe files missing

Exe files missing: Logged on to find one of my shortcuts Streamlabs chat bot isnt working. Getting the error that its moved. I did a search and the only results were in a deep folder under user\appdata\local\packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\localstate\appiconcache\100. There...
  9. Explorer,EXE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Explorer,EXE: Please help me find a solution on this message; 'The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation' Hoping someone has a simple solution, Thanks...
  10. Registry is not starting from main .exe, RUN and in cmd

in Windows 10 Support
    Registry is not starting from main .exe, RUN and in cmd: i have no idea what's making it not pop up im trying all the ways to get it to open, i tried: * regedit in run(win+r) * registry.exe in cmd with admin rights * clicking on the main .exe located in the windows folder 18138
Tags: