Windows 10: explorer.exe not responding, spinning cursor on desktop - HELP!

Discus and support explorer.exe not responding, spinning cursor on desktop - HELP! in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10 boots up and loads the desktop, but gets stuck with a spinning cursor not an arrow, desktop icons are slow to load, and icons never appear... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by htimsg, Jun 13, 2021.

1. htimsg Win User

explorer.exe not responding, spinning cursor on desktop - HELP!

Windows 10 boots up and loads the desktop, but gets stuck with a spinning cursor not an arrow, desktop icons are slow to load, and icons never appear on the taskbar. More importantly, I cannot click on icons nor use the search bar.This used to occur periodically, but after too many minutes everything would start working.But not today, and it still happens in Safe Mode and with Clean Boot.I've tried system restore point, deleting iconcache, killing and restarting explorer, etc.I am not so knowledgeable, but trying things I am able to find onlineI can pull up Task Manager that's how I know

:)

htimsg, Jun 13, 2021

2. Spinning cursor on task bar for work desktop

Hello TaraKelley,

For us to better assist you, kindly provide the following information:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • Were there any recent changes made prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you download and run the Start menu troubleshooter on this
    link. This troubleshooter automatically diagnose and repair common problem with Start menu.

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Jun 13, 2021
  3. Cursor spinning

Hi Shashank,

For us to isolate your concern with your cursor spinning issue, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any updates made on your computer prior to this concern?
    • When did the issue first begin?
    • Is this the first time you experienced the issue?
    • To make sure we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jun 13, 2021
  4. Mark Isi Win User

Spinning cursor

Hi triseilucifer,

For us to be able to assess the issue, kindly provide information and answers to these questions below:

1. Current version of your Windows 10 operating system
    2. Did you used to have any existing issues with your PC prior to restoring? Also, did you mean
      Restore Point or Reset PC?
    3. Full PC specification
    4. What are the troubleshooting steps you have performed so far?
    5. Screenshot of the desktop that shows the spinning circle

In the mean time, I would suggest performing Clean Boot and see if the issue persists. Get back to us with the outcome by replying to this thread so I will be notified.

All the best.

Mark Isi, Jun 13, 2021
Thema:

1. explorer.exe not responding, spinning cursor on desktop - HELP! - Similar Threads - explorer exe responding

2. Desktop/Windows explorer stops responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop/Windows explorer stops responding: Im experiencing an issue where after using file explorer or relocating photos/files around on my laptop, window's explorers randomly stops responding and I am forced to restart. I am running on windows 11 right now. Any help with this?...
  3. Desktop/Windows explorer stops responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop/Windows explorer stops responding: Im experiencing an issue where after using file explorer or relocating photos/files around on my laptop, window's explorers randomly stops responding and I am forced to restart. I am running on windows 11 right now. Any help with this?...
  4. Cursor spinning forever after clicking on a file in explorer or desktop icons.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cursor spinning forever after clicking on a file in explorer or desktop icons.: It happend to me today that I open explorer and left click & right click on one of the download files then the explorer crashed and I close the tab and tried again and again and the cursor keeps spinning and I cant even close the tab itself only in from the task bar. It also...
  5. Icons on Desktop are slow to respond to the cursor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons on Desktop are slow to respond to the cursor: After a certain number of shortcuts the delay gets bigger with my cursor and the icon being highlighted. It's not my hardware's fault I have a good computer....
  6. Mediacreationtool2004.exe not responding

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mediacreationtool2004.exe not responding: Tried as administrator, to run this but the "Progress" is stuck at 0%. Tried creating an iso instead of USB stick but same problem. Is there a solution please?...
  7. Spinning cursor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Spinning cursor: ok so untelated to many others with a similar issue. I restored my pc, everything was fine, but when i sign in and get to my windows home screen the home screen has a spinning blue circle with NO mouse cursor, just a spinning circle, and it only affects the home screen, i can...
  8. Blackscreen with spinning cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blackscreen with spinning cursor: I was just watching anime online then suddenly my laptop's screen blacks out with its loading cursor spinning also freezes the screen for some reason i couldn't do a thing ctlr+alt+del didn't even work so i force shutdown my laptop. I also tried to start it once again then...
  9. Cursor with spinning circle.....

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cursor with spinning circle.....: After the Fall Creators Update, all three of my systems have suffered from the dreaded "Cursor and Spinning Circle". Two of my systems have locked up completely. Thank God for my imaging program that allowed me to restore these systems to working order. BUT, this keeps...
  10. Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file: I have a folder full of *.exe files. When I navigate to the folder to read its content (files listed in "tile" mode), Explorer hangs for a minute or two displaying in the title bar "not responding". Eventually, the files are displayed but it is a bit of a pain. I modified...