Windows 10: Explorer.exe not starting on Login

Discus and support Explorer.exe not starting on Login in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My problem is as the title reads. I have to manually start explorer.exe each time my account starts. The screen is black except for a "file explorer"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/realpawel, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Explorer.exe not starting on Login

My problem is as the title reads. I have to manually start explorer.exe each time my account starts.

The screen is black except for a "file explorer" window that opens.

This is the first windows 10 issue I have ever experienced. Windows 10 copy is genuine

Here are the solutions I attempted.
    REGEDIT went into the Microsoft nt registry for the shell and it displays "explorer.exe"

Booting PC in safe boot mode brings up the same issue, I can't use windows defender to scan anything in safe mode, real time protection is off with the option to turn it on disabled. Not sure if it's supposed to be like that.

Booting in diagnostic mode also doesn't start explorer.exe

I have only installed DOOM recently and I've been able to login after fine. Didn't happen right after install

Trying to get into "cmd" doesn't work. I'll type it in the start menu and it'll open and close instantly

Trying to run cmd.exe in task manager only opens up another "file explorer" window

Also unable to open sfc and line sfc /scannow doesn't do anything.

Explorer.exe doesn't appear in startup programs of task manager, not sure if it would anyways

Help is really appreciated. Scoured the internet before posting here.

submitted by /u/realpawel
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/realpawel, Mar 22, 2020

2. Internet Explorer won't start

Since it's not allowing you to open the settings of the Internet Explorer itself, we suggest that you type inetcpl.cpl on
    the search box to open the Internet Properties and follow the steps provided on the link that we have on our previous post.

Note: In doing this you can now skip step 1 under Reset Internet Explorer settings.

If the issue persists, we recommend that you uninstall and reinstall the Internet Explorer.
    To do this, follow the steps below:

To uninstall the Internet Explorer, follow the steps below:

• Click the Start button, type
      Programs and Features in the search box, and then select
      View installed updates.

• Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the
      Microsoft Windows section.

• Right-click Internet Explorer 11, click Uninstall and then click
      Yes.

• Click one of the following:
    • Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 11 and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer)

• Restart later

To download and reinstall Internet Explorer, follow the steps below:

• Check the System Type that you need to install by pressing
      Windows key + Pause key.
    • Check the System type under System (Ex: 64-bit Operating system, x64-based processor).

• Download Internet Explorer 11 (Offline Installer) on this
      link.

• Choose your preferred language and Service Pack (Ex: Windows 7 SP1 64-bit).

• Follow the on-screen prompt.

• Once done, check if the issues persists.

Note: The installer that you can download on this link also applies in Windows 10.

We'll wait for your update with the result.

Zedrick Del, Mar 22, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Can't login to new computer w/Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

• Are you able to login to Microsoft Account on Web?

• Have you installed any language pack?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to select the appropriate language in login screen at the bottom right corner and check if it helps.

Steps 2: Use On-screen keyboard in the login screen to login and check if it helps.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Mar 22, 2020
  4. zinou Win User

Explorer.exe not starting on Login

5 min delay on cold start between login screen and bg screen

Ok, let the powershell command run overnight
    If the command didn't solve the problem, the try these steps in order:

1. Disable superfetch service
      • Empty the following folder c:\Windows\Prefetch\
      • Restart the computer
      • Si ça ne marche pas, passer à l'étape 2;
    2. Disable the AppXSvc from the registry: change the "Start" key value from 3 to 4 (see the screenshot)

Explorer.exe not starting on Login [​IMG]

Explorer.exe not starting on Login [​IMG]

zinou, Mar 22, 2020
Thema:

Explorer.exe not starting on Login

1. Explorer.exe not starting on Login - Similar Threads - Explorer exe starting

2. exe often fails to start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    exe often fails to start: exe fails to start. 2 machines out of 3 exhibit problem. 1 win 10, 1 win 11. one beep when it fails. app built on win 10 with vb6.checked permissions, fire wall, exe association, virus, no luck....
  3. exe often fails to start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    exe often fails to start: exe fails to start. 2 machines out of 3 exhibit problem. 1 win 10, 1 win 11. one beep when it fails. app built on win 10 with vb6.checked permissions, fire wall, exe association, virus, no luck....
  4. exe often fails to start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Start an exe program in FreeDOS?

Start an exe program in FreeDOS?: Hello all together just trying to reinstall windows in FreeDos from my sticker. Is it even possible to start the setup.exe or do I have to look for another way? Do I have to drag extra files onto the stick or is there a possibility? Picture as attachment...
  6. Windows Explorer not starting on login

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Explorer not starting on login: Recently I have been logging in and everything seems to function as normal, but after a few seconds the entire screen including the taskbar goes black or blue. The only thing that has been working for me is doing Ctrl+Shift+Esc and making a new task called explorer.exe. Is...
  7. ss3svc64.exe at start up

in Windows 10 Customization
    ss3svc64.exe at start up: My ASUS PC was requesting ss3svc64.exe be allowed to make changes at start up. IT uninstalled sonic suite. Now I have no sound. Could that be because sonic suite was uninstalled?...
  8. Explorer,EXE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Explorer,EXE: Please help me find a solution on this message; 'The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation' Hoping someone has a simple solution, Thanks...
  9. EXE files wont start

EXE files wont start: Hello, guys! I have an HP Laptop running Windows 10 Media Center Edition (Joke, It is actually Home) x64 and I've just downloaded an application used for TV when I'm gone, but it won't start! I've edited the registry, Ran as an Administrator, I can't start safe mode, nothing...
  10. EXE files and Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    EXE files and Start menu: Is there any way I can put an .exe file on the Start menu? I know I can put a link to it on the desktop but that has too many icons on it already. Thank you. 22594