Windows 10: Explorer.exe not starting when Win 10 starts

Discus and support Explorer.exe not starting when Win 10 starts in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; A weird thing happened starting yesterday. My win 10 laptop on startup does NOT start Explorer. Instead I get a black screen with a command prompt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by fncruz, Feb 3, 2020.

1. fncruz Win User

Explorer.exe not starting when Win 10 starts

A weird thing happened starting yesterday. My win 10 laptop on startup does NOT start Explorer. Instead I get a black screen with a command prompt showing C:\Windows\System32. If I close the CMD prompt then I have a totally black screen.

CTL-ALT-DEL works and I brought up task manager and ran explorer.exe which started file explorer. The CMD prompt did not disappear until I closed it.

I re-started the computer again and the same happened. I typed explorer.exe in the CMD prompt and that also started file explorer.

Why does Windows start CMD prompt INSTEAD of explorer.exe??

Any help would be appreciated!

:)

fncruz, Feb 3, 2020

2. Internet Explorer won't start

Since it's not allowing you to open the settings of the Internet Explorer itself, we suggest that you type inetcpl.cpl on
    the search box to open the Internet Properties and follow the steps provided on the link that we have on our previous post.

Note: In doing this you can now skip step 1 under Reset Internet Explorer settings.

If the issue persists, we recommend that you uninstall and reinstall the Internet Explorer.
    To do this, follow the steps below:

To uninstall the Internet Explorer, follow the steps below:

• Click the Start button, type
      Programs and Features in the search box, and then select
      View installed updates.

• Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the
      Microsoft Windows section.

• Right-click Internet Explorer 11, click Uninstall and then click
      Yes.

• Click one of the following:
    • Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 11 and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer)

• Restart later

To download and reinstall Internet Explorer, follow the steps below:

• Check the System Type that you need to install by pressing
      Windows key + Pause key.
    • Check the System type under System (Ex: 64-bit Operating system, x64-based processor).

• Download Internet Explorer 11 (Offline Installer) on this
      link.

• Choose your preferred language and Service Pack (Ex: Windows 7 SP1 64-bit).

• Follow the on-screen prompt.

• Once done, check if the issues persists.

Note: The installer that you can download on this link also applies in Windows 10.

We'll wait for your update with the result.

Zedrick Del, Feb 3, 2020
  3. Bearael Win User
    Start menu won't open on Windows 10

Love this response.

I had a similar issue recently. I was able to resolve it by:

• Open Task Manager
      • Find the Windows Explorer process
        • right-click the process and select Restart

The Start button was then clickable.

Bearael, Feb 3, 2020
  4. Explorer.exe not starting when Win 10 starts

How to add programs to Win 10 automatic start up?

Thanks, BRCjr told me about that above. Win 10 Pro doesn't seem to have a Start Up folder. One step forward, two steps back. GGGG Is now a rather convoluted process just to add a shortcut.

USN-SPARKS, Feb 3, 2020
Thema:

Explorer.exe not starting when Win 10 starts

1. Explorer.exe not starting when Win 10 starts - Similar Threads - Explorer exe starting

2. exe often fails to start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    exe often fails to start: exe fails to start. 2 machines out of 3 exhibit problem. 1 win 10, 1 win 11. one beep when it fails. app built on win 10 with vb6.checked permissions, fire wall, exe association, virus, no luck....
  3. exe often fails to start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    exe often fails to start: exe fails to start. 2 machines out of 3 exhibit problem. 1 win 10, 1 win 11. one beep when it fails. app built on win 10 with vb6.checked permissions, fire wall, exe association, virus, no luck....
  4. exe often fails to start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Start an exe program in FreeDOS?

Start an exe program in FreeDOS?: Hello all together just trying to reinstall windows in FreeDos from my sticker. Is it even possible to start the setup.exe or do I have to look for another way? Do I have to drag extra files onto the stick or is there a possibility? Picture as attachment...
  6. ss3svc64.exe at start up

in Windows 10 Customization
    ss3svc64.exe at start up: My ASUS PC was requesting ss3svc64.exe be allowed to make changes at start up. IT uninstalled sonic suite. Now I have no sound. Could that be because sonic suite was uninstalled?...
  7. EXE files wont start

EXE files wont start: Hello, guys! I have an HP Laptop running Windows 10 Media Center Edition (Joke, It is actually Home) x64 and I've just downloaded an application used for TV when I'm gone, but it won't start! I've edited the registry, Ran as an Administrator, I can't start safe mode, nothing...
  8. starting win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    starting win 10: Hi first post so be gentle. I have just upgraded to win 10 from win 7 home prem. Using a sony vaio laptop I now have to press Ctrl when the windows icon appears and ctrl alt del to progress the program to run further. this is not a logon issue just a start up issue any...
  9. Start Menu - Win Explorer ? ? ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu - Win Explorer ? ? ?: I haven’t done any Win updates since 4-28, and late last night I started to download Forza 6 beta from Ms store, but saw it was going to take forever, so I went to bed. Somewhere in the night it finished and installed on its own (didn’t like that). PC was running when I got...
  10. EXE files and Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    EXE files and Start menu: Is there any way I can put an .exe file on the Start menu? I know I can put a link to it on the desktop but that has too many icons on it already. Thank you. 22594