Windows 10: Explorer.exe not working and other sundry things

Discus and support Explorer.exe not working and other sundry things in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I must say I feel a little ........ sheepish I guess is the word, asking for help here as I'm used to giving the help (at least at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by indianacarnie, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Explorer.exe not working and other sundry things

Hi all, I must say I feel a little ........ sheepish I guess is the word, asking for help here as I'm used to giving the help (at least at Sevenforums). Guess I need to get to work on 10 so I can get back to giving......... *Smile

Anyway......... I received a older laptop as gift. It is a Dell Inspiron. Can't tell you much more because I have no desktop or search ability at the moment. This machine had Win7 on it and I immediately upgraded to 10 using the "old" usb installation media. (Old as in I used it to upgrade my other machine) Everything went fine until I tried to activate Windows and got the 0xC004C003 Error. Thats the least of my problems at the moment though. After another round of updates after I signed in from the restart I had/have ........... no desktop and only about 1/3 of my taskbar. No search at all and very little else. (Task view, Edge, Windows Store and my open Maxthon)

Tried opening Task manager and running a new task - explorer.exe - and it opens file explorer. Am I mistaken that explorer.exe should give me my desktop and search back?

Any help is seriously appreciated.

:)

indianacarnie, Dec 23, 2015
  2. Ben DM Win User

Taskbar not working as expected (and other things)

Hello everyone.

I recently changed the Owner of my C:\ drive (properties/security/advanced) from TrustedInstaller to my account and gave my account full access (to subdirectories aswell).

Since then, the taskbar doesn't work as expected:

• Left click on start button doesn't work, right click does,
    • Windows key won't display the menu (shorcuts work e.g. Windows+R),
    • Right click on applications pinned to the taskbar doesn't work, left click does,
    • Left click on date doesn't display the calendar anymore,
    • Left click on notifications doesn't display the notifications center anymore.
    • Calculator can't start anymore
    I tried the "sfc /scannow" thing but it says some files can't be repaired. And in the log I have a lot of errors like this "Error - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory".

I tried aswell the powershell commands we find everywhere about taskbar problems (Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers....).

I also tried this: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Is there any way to fix this without having to reset Windows ?

Thanks.

***Thread moved to the appropriate category by moderator***

Ben DM, Dec 23, 2015
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Taskbar not working as expected (and other things)

Hi Ben,

Upon analyzing the details you have provided, we suggest that you
    change
    again
    the
    ownership
    of your
    C:\ drive and
    change
    the
    permission
    settings
    to
    everyone. After doing so,
    restart
    your
    PC
    and check if there's any changes.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Dec 23, 2015
  4. Explorer.exe not working and other sundry things

In my rush to "tinker" with this new (to me) piece of hardware I neglected some fundamentals I'm afraid. Like, most importantly, not checking to see if this older machine was fully updated or not. I still have the same problem but I'm treating it like an idiot behind the keyboard thing. I'll be reinstalling Win7, making SURE its fully updated and reinstalling 10.

indianacarnie, Dec 23, 2015
Thema:

Explorer.exe not working and other sundry things

1. Explorer.exe not working and other sundry things - Similar Threads - Explorer exe working

2. Start Button and Windows Explorer not opening amongst other things

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Button and Windows Explorer not opening amongst other things: Hi When I log into Windows, some things have stopped working. Clicking the Start button at the bottom left is not working. Also I can not open Windows Explorer. When I click on a shortcut for it, I get two messages: explorer.exe. windows cannot access the specified device,...
  3. Certain things in taskbar among other things don't work.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Certain things in taskbar among other things don't work.: This happened after the new windows update on 4/14/21. Everything was working fine until then. I got the computer at the end of 2019. After the new update there are a number of bugs but the ones that really prevent me are the fact that pressing f4 does not open screen...
  4. No audio output, mic doesn't work and other things

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No audio output, mic doesn't work and other things: Is my motherboard bad, or have I missed something?. This started with MSI B360M mobo, and four year old gigabyte video card. I have three monitors and use six desktops in my writing and image manipulation using Lightroom. Running Win 10 V 2004 patched so far. My window...
  5. Windows start and other things not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows start and other things not working: I cannot open the windows start menu. I can’t open internet explorer. I can’t open any settings or network settings so I can’t connect to wifi. I can’t type in the windows search bar either. I’ve tried multiple things and hasn’t worked....
  6. Administration rights changed, Chrome doesn't work, other things

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Administration rights changed, Chrome doesn't work, other things: Today when I used my laptop, I couldn't restart my computer, it said thing like "no power options available" and I couldn't open task manager, "disabled by administrator". I have used these all the time in the past and definitely didn't do this. Google Chrome doesn't work,...
  7. Explorer,EXE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Explorer,EXE: Please help me find a solution on this message; 'The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation' Hoping someone has a simple solution, Thanks...
  8. OneDrive & sundry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive & sundry: Howdy, Tell me why OneDrive was virtually a stealth app running in the background when I already had a back-up plan in place for years. Of course to fully backup my laptop (only 15GB without) I would have had to sign up for Office 365. My Outlook account also didn't receive...
  9. Acronyms and Other Things

in Windows 10 Support
    Acronyms and Other Things: We've all seen it at least once; someone posts an explanation and right in the middle of that explanation, you see GPO, WSL, IE, OIC, WIP, WU, IE11, etc. Try as you might, you cannot remember what half of those mean, if you can remember any at all! The purpose of this thread...
  10. Problem with Cortana and other things :/

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with Cortana and other things :/: Hey all, I've had this problem since I've upgraded my Dell Inspiron 11 3000 laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 10. After bootup, sometimes my Cortana Search Bar will stop working (though I don't get the typical Cortana and start menu critical error). After this other problems...
Tags: