Windows 10: Explorer.exe prevents mouse clicks on almost every Windows proccess

Discus and support Explorer.exe prevents mouse clicks on almost every Windows proccess in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; The process explorer.exe keeps "crashing" constantly, provoking this bug. This bug is like the mouse click "goes through" the apps, clicking on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ivan Neves, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Explorer.exe prevents mouse clicks on almost every Windows proccess

The process explorer.exe keeps "crashing" constantly, provoking this bug. This bug is like the mouse click "goes through" the apps, clicking on the Desktop instead, thus the apps "lose focus", or as if the windows aren't even open, so it just clicks on the desktop. This bug also freezes the taskbar, so clicks won't work and the hover effect when you pass through a pinned app won't work asweel, as if the taskbar has been closed or isn't even open. Everything related to the keyboard keeps working, so i can open the task manager, windows explorer, access apps and folders with mouse, etc with shortcuts.

This problem, however, don't seem to affect everery app. Some Code Editors/IDE'sVisual Studio Community and some Games keep workingas long as you alt-tab to them, because i can't click on the app to work on it, but other programs like Web Browsers, Drawing Apps like Aseprite, and everything related to the Windows Explorer simply can't be used because even if i alt-tab to them, the "ghost clicks" persist.

I'm 99.99% convinced this problem is related to the explorer.exe process, because if i end it on the task manager, within 5-10 seconds everything goes back to "normal"of course, i can't use anything related to the Windows Explorer if i do it, so is not a workaround. Restarting the process don't work, finishing and re-opening it also won't work, because the problems comes back if i don't give time to it and restarting the PC only works sometimes. If i close the explorer.exe, after 10-15 minutes, restarting it works and i can go back to normal, until it happens again.

I've already formatted the PC to a 100% clean state about 3 days ago, with the newest .iso available for Windows 10 on Microsoft website and the problem persisted. I formatted the PC using the windows Repair tool and the newest .iso was downloaded with it. I chose the options to wipe everything.

Windows is not 100% updated, the Update KB4560960 can't be installed because i get an error when the instalation gets to 100%.

Before the problem, Windows was a bit out of date, but not much really. One dayish after a "ghost" updateit wasn't the newest for sure, the problem started to appear. Since i saw the update was a bit old, my first instinct was to go to Windows Update to make it more up to datebut couldn't install the update i said before. The problem got much better and started appearing much, much less often, but still wasn't solved.

This was when i thought it could be a virus or something, so i formatted the PC because it was in my plans anyway, so i used the event to just do it because i had procrastinated enough. When i formatted, the faulty update is no longer on my update history, so i can't manualy remove it nor do i know how to go back to a previous, safe state.

OBS: The update being the root of the problem is pure speculation, but given that i completely wiped the PC with a clean Windows, but it already came with the probably faulty update, it's unlikely that the problem is anything else, like a virus.

:)

Ivan Neves, Jun 26, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 26, 2020
  3. mouse right click will not open my file explorer in taskbar

Hello Carl,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

• What happens when you left clicking?
    • When you say right click, do you actually mean left click?
    • Which all troubleshooting steps have you already tried to resolve this issue?

Left clicking with mouse will open File explorer or any other programs. Whereas right click will give you context menu.

I suggest you to right-click on the File Explorer
    on the task bar and select Unpin from Taskbar. Now in the search bar type
    File Explorer and right click on it and select Pin it to Taskbar
    and check if it helps.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jun 26, 2020
  4. Explorer.exe prevents mouse clicks on almost every Windows proccess

Mouse click

Hi,

I suggest you try below method and check if it helps.

Hardware and devices troubleshooter

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your mouse.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Divya Murugan, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

Explorer.exe prevents mouse clicks on almost every Windows proccess

1. Explorer.exe prevents mouse clicks on almost every Windows proccess - Similar Threads - Explorer exe prevents

2. Mouse clicking randomly every few minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse clicking randomly every few minutes: In Windows 10/11, my mouse randomly clicks on its own. When I exist games, very often the mouse left click will not work until I middle click.This happens with multiple games.The games are on Steam.Steps I've tried to resolve the issue:I have purchased a new mouse, and it has...
  3. Mouse clicking randomly every few minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse clicking randomly every few minutes: In Windows 10/11, my mouse randomly clicks on its own. When I exist games, very often the mouse left click will not work until I middle click.This happens with multiple games.The games are on Steam.Steps I've tried to resolve the issue:I have purchased a new mouse, and it has...
  4. Almost every single App / .exe File crashes instantly after launching.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Almost every single App / .exe File crashes instantly after launching.: About two days ago, I noticed that I wasn't able to start Microsoft Teams and Spotify anymore. When starting them, I only saw the loading screen / app for about 3 seconds, after that the app froze and just closed. Re-starting my PC didn't help and when I tried to re-install...
  5. Windows explorer crash almost every new startup.

Windows explorer crash almost every new startup.: Hello i really really need some help with this. Almost everytime i startup explorer flashes from grey to white, and the taskbar flashes white to normal. This mostly around 33 times. The error is this Beschrijving Pad naar toepassing met fout:...
  6. Internet Explorer cache gets deleted almost every day

in Browsers and Email
    Internet Explorer cache gets deleted almost every day: Hello I am playing a game that uses standard browser cache for its data (Wartune). It downloads a lot of data, and when data is already in cache it works quite fast. At the end of the day cache directory C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE has more than...
  7. Explorer,EXE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Explorer,EXE: Please help me find a solution on this message; 'The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation' Hoping someone has a simple solution, Thanks...
  8. Windows File Explorer Right Mouse Click

Windows File Explorer Right Mouse Click: I have just upgraded my system to win 10 release 10.0.18362 Build 18362 and all appeared to be working. I found an issue with File Explorer - if I try to "right Click" on a drive letter in the left panel File Explorer closes (all task bar items also get disappear for a few...
  9. Can't right click .exes, explorer crashes.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't right click .exes, explorer crashes.: Hi, I've been having this issue since yesterday. When I try to open the context menu for an executable to, let´s say, launch it as administrator, the cursor appears as loading and the context menu won't appear. I can right-click folders and images, my problem seems to be only...
  10. explorer crashes on right mouse click

explorer crashes on right mouse click: File Explorer crashes when right mouse button is clicked to bring up sub menu. Also crashes randomly when drives are accessed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-crashes-on-right-mouse-click/dae788e5-919f-4044-8bfa-7de288b564f2