Windows 10: explorer.exe will not open from taskbar or a desktop shortcut

Discus and support explorer.exe will not open from taskbar or a desktop shortcut in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Whenever I try to open File Explorer from Start, Taskbar or a Desktop Shortcut, it will either: 1. Not Open but run in the background as I checked in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ItsDaDoc, Oct 6, 2019.

1. ItsDaDoc Win User

explorer.exe will not open from taskbar or a desktop shortcut

Whenever I try to open File Explorer from Start, Taskbar or a Desktop Shortcut, it will either:

1. Not Open but run in the background as I checked in Task Manager

2. Give me an error box saying: "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action..." or

3. Give me an error box saying: "shell:::{52205fd8-5dfb-447d-801a-d0b52f2e83e1} unspecified error"

I can open file explorer through task manager by using the "rightclick-open file location" action but cannot open it like a normal person would.

I have tried several things including: Reserch ways to get file explorer to work, Attempt to reinstall file explorer, Running SFC in CMD, Turning the computer off and on, Etc.

It would be nice if someone can help. Thanks!

:)

ItsDaDoc, Oct 6, 2019

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 6, 2019
  3. Edwin Win User
    Why can't I add desktop shortcuts to the Taskbar in W10 Pro?

If you want to pin a certain document to the Taskbar, change the extension to .exe, drag it to the Taskbar, change it back to previous extension, also on the Taskbar, restart Explorer...

explorer.exe will not open from taskbar or a desktop shortcut [​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 6, 2019
  4. explorer.exe will not open from taskbar or a desktop shortcut

Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Oct 6, 2019
Thema:

explorer.exe will not open from taskbar or a desktop shortcut

1. explorer.exe will not open from taskbar or a desktop shortcut - Similar Threads - explorer exe open

2. Desktop shortcuts and program file .exe links are failing to open.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop shortcuts and program file .exe links are failing to open.: My desktop links are failing to open. first one now three. Even program.exe file links do not work on those failed links. It seems something is happening. The links are not associated with each other. This is a new computer running Windows 10. I already used Task Manager "run...
  3. Issue with opening exe files and opening apps from taskbar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issue with opening exe files and opening apps from taskbar: when i try and open exe files from my file browser or my desktop it comes up with "you'll need a new app to open this .exe file" and when i try and open apps from taskbar it says C:\Users\Home\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User...
  4. issue with open exe files and opening apps from taskbar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    issue with open exe files and opening apps from taskbar: when i try and open exe files from my file browser or my desktop it comes up with "you'll need a new app to open this .exe file" and when i try and open apps from taskbar it says C:\Users\Home\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User...
  5. Google Chrome - Shortcut will not open from desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Google Chrome - Shortcut will not open from desktop: First of all - Really stupid from microsoft forum/admins of forum is that: Locking the thread which never got solved. For me - I did not find solution for this problem via the topic which was already made out there, so I just copy pasted the tittle and made this new topic....
  6. Moving desktop shortcut to taskbar

Moving desktop shortcut to taskbar: I have regularly pinned desktop shortcut icons to my taskbar simply by dragging them there. Currently I have one otherwise ordinary desktop icon which refuses to even offer me the option of being pinned. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a solution?...
  7. desktop and taskbar shortcuts not working

desktop and taskbar shortcuts not working: Desktop and taskbar shortcuts not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-and-taskbar-shortcuts-not-working/0a60d373-afe7-4835-86b4-b97a67c39fd8
  8. Taskbar shortcut is opening separate from the shortcut - any idea why?

Taskbar shortcut is opening separate from the shortcut - any idea why?: [ATTACH] Here's what's going on. The examples I'm using are Notepad, Chrome, and Opera. See how Opera opens after all the shortcut icons instead of right from its own shortcut? I'm using custom icons for most of my taskbar, but the setup is quite clean. All of the...
  9. Explorer refuses to open from taskbar and random square on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer refuses to open from taskbar and random square on desktop: Hello, I've been experiencing some bugs with Windows 10, I tried restarting it but the problem still remains. There's this weird app that's making this square thing show up on my desktop, I've disabled all the possible apps at startup that could cause this issue but the...
  10. file explorer on taskbar not opening windows, and is copying shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    file explorer on taskbar not opening windows, and is copying shortcuts: it suddenly stopped working the shortcuts are not opening when i click on them is it a setting?: [img] and why is the shortcuts on the taskbar explorer (when u right click it like in the gif) have the same shortcuts as in the explorer window (the shortcuts on the sides)...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shell 52205fd8-5dfb-447d-801a-d0b52f2e83e1 explorer

2. windows explore will not open from task bar

3. FILE EXPLORER WILL NOT OPEN ON DESKTOP

4. cant open explorer from windows 10 taskbar