Windows 10: Explorer.exe works--but not from shortcut icon or Start menu

Discus and support Explorer.exe works--but not from shortcut icon or Start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This problem began under Win 7, and carried through to my Win 10 update. I have shortcuts that let me open specific folders with Explorer, and they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Newmaven, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Newmaven Win User

Explorer.exe works--but not from shortcut icon or Start menu

This problem began under Win 7, and carried through to my Win 10 update.

I have shortcuts that let me open specific folders with Explorer, and they work fine. But clicking the taskbar Explorer icon or its icon in the start menu gets me an error message "this file does not have a program associated ..." (see attached).

Following a tip elsewhere, I was told to look in HKEY_CLASSES_Root\folder\shell, and got "value not set" on one line (see attached). Is that the cause of my problem? If so, how do I fix it?

I assume there might be a fix using File Associations, but I have no idea what to associate Explorer with.

:)

Newmaven, Jul 29, 2016
  2. MGINBEND Win User

Windows 10 Desktop App icon

OK, After more research on the internet I figured out how to do this so I'll provide the solution in case someone else has this problem...

Right click on the desktop and click on New > Shortcut

Paste this code in the "Type the location of the item" box:

%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{3080F90D-D7AD-11D9-BD98-0000947B0257}

Name the shortcut Desktop

Right click on the shortcut, select Properties, Shortcut tab and Change Icon button

Look for Icons in this file: %SystemRoot%\System32\imageres.dll

Select an appropriate icon and click OK.

Move the new shortcut to this folder in your user account folder:

AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > Start Menu > Programs

This will cause the shortcut to show up in the All Apps Start Menu

Open All Apps, right click on Desktop, pin to Start

I believe the problem is that the shortcut was not pointing to %windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{3080F90D-D7AD-11D9-BD98-0000947B0257}
    since the shortcut was in the right folder but it wasn't doing anything.

MGINBEND, Jul 29, 2016
  3. start-menu items & edge wont open

W10: When tapping edge icon on task bar, failmessage with heading explorer.exe, and text; element not found appears.

Start menu shortcuts to edge, mail, pictures etc does not work, and seems not to react, but excel and paint etc is working.

Itunes opens, but does not play video, or stops after short time.

???

Christer

Christeren, Jul 29, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

spunk, Jul 30, 2016
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Explorer.exe works--but not from shortcut icon or Start menu - Similar Threads - Explorer exe works

2. Windows Icons/Shortcuts have disappeared from the start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Icons/Shortcuts have disappeared from the start menu: This weird problem has been going on with my computer for several weeks. On the windows start menu several of my application icons are gone. When i do a search to open the application it won't find it. The applications are still installed on my computer, I never removed them....
  3. Windows Icons/Shortcuts have disappeared from the start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Icons/Shortcuts have disappeared from the start menu: This weird problem has been going on with my computer for several weeks. On the windows start menu several of my application icons are gone. When i do a search to open the application it won't find it. The applications are still installed on my computer, I never removed them....
  4. Windows Icons/Shortcuts have disappeared from the start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Exe Icons disappear on Start Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Exe Icons disappear on Start Menu: As shown in picture, all exe applications excluding those from Microsoft store disappears on start menu. Even disappear in all Apps. I have tried some methods such as sfc/scannow, delete iconcache create another user account etc., but none of them work so far.Anyone has...
  6. Adding shortcut icon to the start menu

Adding shortcut icon to the start menu: I have created a powershell script for a custom shutdown. Is it possible to add the shortcut icon to the start menu. See image. [img] 159199
  7. Adding Internet Explorer Shortcut to Start Menu

in Browsers and Email
    Adding Internet Explorer Shortcut to Start Menu: Thanks for taking a look at my issue. I am trying to add the IE shortcut to my start-menu but I am finding it very difficult. I found some instructions online but they seem very complicated given that I am able to add other shortcuts with ease. Thanks! 117120
  8. Needed file explorer icon from menu start

Needed file explorer icon from menu start: Hi there! I need file explorer icon witch appears on menu start. Where I can find this icon on system files, or maybe anyone have image file of this. Thanks for help. *Smile [img] [img] 78195
  9. Start menu shortcuts doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu shortcuts doesn't work: After installing Creators Update, programs shortcuts already uninstalled continues to show on start menu. For example, I uninstalled Forza Motorsport 6, and if I type "Forza..." in the start menu, the shortcut appears and if I click nothing happens, either with the left...
  10. Shortcuts' icons disappear in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcuts' icons disappear in Start Menu: Whenever I move shortcuts to a folder in the Start Menu, a lot of times the icon turns into what appears to be a white blank sheet of paper. I've tried changing the icon, to no avail. They show up just fine in the Start Menu, just not in File Explorer. How do I fix this? 82451
Tags: