Windows 10: Explorer first wouldn't rename to longer file name, now won't open fil

Discus and support Explorer first wouldn't rename to longer file name, now won't open fil in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday everything worked perfectly. I have a legal deadline and haven been renaming files for hours. Today, at first I couldn't rename the files to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ChristineAZ, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Explorer first wouldn't rename to longer file name, now won't open fil

Yesterday everything worked perfectly. I have a legal deadline and haven been renaming files for hours.

Today, at first I couldn't rename the files to longer names, no matter how short the name.

As a work around, I opened the pdfs in Chrome and renamed them that way.

Then that stopped working and I realized it's only a problem in certain folders. Created a new folder and moved the files there.

Now I can't even open the files anymore.

I checked the new folder I had made and it was "read only" -- why would it do that?

Unchecked it and still can't even open the files. I have no idea what's going on, all the data was moved on this brand new P52 with a new Win 10 Pro install last week.

I'm about ready to throw it out the window!

- - - Updated - - -

Installed Total Commander and it sure helps to get a REASON for the madness!

Can't see how to post a screenshot here, but I have more than 259 characters in my PATH, not file name. I just did so much work giving everything DESCRIPTIVE names and now what? Go back to never knowing what's in the folders ...

Still don't know why this folder I created was READ ONLY.

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like everything is working now and the lesson learned is that in 30 years MS has not yet learned how to provide meaningful error messages.

I still have to use Explorer for now, no time to learn Total Commander until after my deadline, but I'm looking forward to ditching Explorer.

I tried to mark as SOLVED, but get an error.

:)

ChristineAZ, Jan 24, 2021

2. Now wouldn´t that b a cool feature...

Hi,

I just read an article in the new Linux magazine on the use of Ramdisks. Using those as a file system can drastically speed up read and write performance. That would be a cool feature to build in the OS of mobile phones that hold a memory card anyway, wouldn´t
    it. Then saving a large Excel sheet wouldn´t take ages as it does now (on my E61 anyway), but just a few seconds...

Regards,

hendikoischnur, Jan 24, 2021
  3. tops Win User
    Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

4. Patrick8 Win User

Explorer first wouldn't rename to longer file name, now won't open fil

Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

Hi Ramsey,

I suggest to try "Long Path Tool" program .

before I have problem cannot copy file because file name too long. and after I found long path tool and now my problem solved

Thanks

Patrick

Patrick8, Jan 24, 2021
Thema:

Explorer first wouldn't rename to longer file name, now won't open fil

1. Explorer first wouldn't rename to longer file name, now won't open fil - Similar Threads - Explorer wouldn't rename

2. Unable to Rename File Explorer User Name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Rename File Explorer User Name: I got a new laptop and set-up myself as an administrator using my windows profile. My name is correctly everywhere in my profile except in the Windows " Users > [user name] folder. I have no idea where this name came from and it's incredibly frustrating, since it's a typo of...
  3. Unable to Rename File Explorer User Name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Rename File Explorer User Name: I got a new laptop and set-up myself as an administrator using my windows profile. My name is correctly everywhere in my profile except in the Windows " Users > [user name] folder. I have no idea where this name came from and it's incredibly frustrating, since it's a typo of...
  4. File Explorer was Renamed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer was Renamed: I don't know when exacly this happened but somehow my file explorer was renamed to File Explorer1. I think i unconciously copied and pasted file explorer because it shows "1". how to fix this ? from File Explorer 1 to File Explorer.1. Using Search2. Right Clicking The Flie...
  5. File Explorer was Renamed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer was Renamed: I don't know when exacly this happened but somehow my file explorer was renamed to File Explorer1. I think i unconciously copied and pasted file explorer because it shows "1". how to fix this ? from File Explorer 1 to File Explorer.1. Using Search2. Right Clicking The Flie...
  6. Files Explorer won't open files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files Explorer won't open files: So this has been an issue today. I try to open a file in Files explorer, then it just freezes and show my mouse cursor as on blue loading circle. Please help!...
  7. File Explorer similar file names no longer appear

File Explorer similar file names no longer appear: Ever since the most recent update, similar file names no longer appear when im naming a new file. For example, if I am naming an image file "new", it doesn't show me file names with "new" in the title: [ATTACH] I tried this on another windows 10 computer with the most...
  8. delete fil on Explorer

delete fil on Explorer: How do you delete a file on File Explorer? Dave, thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-fil-on-explorer/f284e983-d814-4b32-b672-86c9537678cf"
  9. File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying: Quite frankly I'm surprised no one has brought this up (or I am using the wrong search terms). When copying files in explorer, Windows 7 (I can't remember anything older than that LOL) I am asked what I want to do with copying files that have the same name as existing files...
  10. File Explorer won't open

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer won't open: Glad you got it worked out. *Thumbs