Windows 10: Explorer freezes/high CPU when opening some folders, but only once

Discus and support Explorer freezes/high CPU when opening some folders, but only once in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've had this problem since I installed the Windows 10 Creators Update (but it has persisted even though I uninstalled it). Sometimes, when I open a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PeterR, Jun 2, 2017.

1. PeterR Win User

Explorer freezes/high CPU when opening some folders, but only once

I've had this problem since I installed the Windows 10 Creators Update (but it has persisted even though I uninstalled it).

Sometimes, when I open a folder in Explorer, it does not display anything inside (just white; no icons nor file names). Then the CPU usage spikes and I have to force-restart Explorer (it never actually crashes, but it also never eventually displays anything — I've waited). However, if I open the same folder again after restarting Explorer, the files and icons display fine and the problem never reoccurs in that folder. But it might occur later in another folder.

I initially suspected Mystic Thumbs, which is a little utility that creates preview icons for Adobe files (*.ai, *.psd, etc.). But now I'm not sure. I ran Process Monitor while the freeze was happening, and it showed this in the stack trace:

Explorer freezes/high CPU when opening some folders, but only once [​IMG]

Over 90% of the processor's time was spent on something related to IconCacheCreate and/or GetDpiForMonitor... but Mystic Thumbs is not specifically implicated (I actually see no entries in the entire stack related to Mystic Thumbs), so maybe it's something else. The event associated with the very bottom trace in this list is a NotifyChangeDirectory operation. I cleared the Windows icon caches, but the problem still happens. It's hard to reproduce, though, since it never seems to happen in the same folder twice (and not in 90% of folders anyway). How do I troubleshoot this?

UPDATE: I did another Process Monitor trace while I was quickly browsing through folders but where the error didn't occur. The stack trace looked much the same: about 95% of the time on the same processes. So the info I provided may be a false lead... that may just be what explorer does when you're quickly browsing through folders.

:)

PeterR, Jun 2, 2017

2. Fix internet explorer on windows 10 high cpus

I'm running windows 10 getting high Cpus with internet explorer ,tried disabling add on and it didn't help

help cant find a virus and ran systems check but still high CPUS only with internet explorer ! Stalls my computer all the way down and freezes ,the it starts and stops !

RogerDills, Jun 2, 2017
  3. Internet problems

My CPU usage does not go up more than 20%.The reason the CPU was high in the screenshot is because of Task Manager..When Task Manager is opened the CPU goes up to 80% but for 2 seconds..then it goes back to less than 20%.It is not because of the CPU,I
    am absolutely sure about that.My internet is not working as it once did.Now for example I can only have Chorme opened and play 2 YouTube videos at the same time.It shouldn't be a big deal...But it is.The videos barely load.And no,my CPU's usage is not high
    during that time.I have this problem for quite some time.

PopescuAndrei, Jun 2, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, try two basic steps. If you can find a state where this problem doesn't occur, you're part way on the journey to identifying the cause by elimination.

Do you experience this problem if you:
    1. Boot to safe mode
    2. Do a clean boot?
    3. If you don't have this problem in (1) but do in (2) try disabling all context menu or GUI additions.
    E.g. using Shellexview, ShellmenuView (free), making sure not to disable any MS extensions.

dalchina, Jun 2, 2017
Thema:

1. Explorer freezes/high CPU when opening some folders, but only once - Similar Threads - Explorer freezes high

2. High background CPU usage but only when two users logged in

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High background CPU usage but only when two users logged in: My W10 (64) PC runs slowly owing to high CPU usage by background tasks but only when I have two users logged in (probably be the same with more users but not tried it). Processes such as runtimemonitor.exe, services.exe and Microsoft photos (even though it has not be run up)...
  3. File Explorer freezes when creating new folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer freezes when creating new folders: Hi, My problem is exactly as the title says. Every time I try to create a new folder, File Explorer freezes and then crashes after about a minute or two. I really wanna fix this as I am a student and need folders to organize my files but I don't really know how to proceed...
  4. Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder: Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder. If I start Windows (10) in safe mode then it will open the Onedrive folder fine, but fails to open the file successfully, the associated app will open but fail to load the file. I have done all of the basics such as sfc, dism and...
  5. high cpu when Skype is installed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    high cpu when Skype is installed: Windows audio device graph isolation (WADGI) process by itself uses 25-30% of my Core i7/8th gen CPUwhen Skype is installed on my PC. When WADGI is used by any other Audio programs it uses less than 1%; the problem arises when I install Skype either the Windows Store App or...
  6. Icons refreshing and high cpu usage when image files in folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Icons refreshing and high cpu usage when image files in folder: Recently on my computer I have had the issue that if an image file is viewable on either the desktop or in explorer icons will constantly refresh and explorer will use >50% of the cpu. It doesn't matter if the images are viewed as icons or previews, only that the image is...
  7. laptop freezing when streaming + High Disk and CPU

in Windows 10 Support
    laptop freezing when streaming + High Disk and CPU: Hi everyone, for about a week or two now my laptop has bee doing some crazy shit. The most alarming one for me is that lately every time I have more than 3 tabs open on my browser or if I even open Netflix my laptop will freeze. It becomes completely unresponsive, and I have...
  8. Explorer freezes when renaming/deleting folder: LanmanWorkstation

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer freezes when renaming/deleting folder: LanmanWorkstation: Hello, I have been having this issue for quite a long time (even when I was using Windows 8.1 before upgrading to 10). Basically, Explorer freezes for ~7s when I rename/delete/move a folder. It even shows "Explorer not responding" in the task manager after few seconds....
  9. High CPU usage with chat programs only

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High CPU usage with chat programs only: Hi my experience with Windows 10 has had it's ups and downs, but I have worked out all the bugs so far but this one. my CPU usage shoots up to 99 whenever using an audio chat program; it started in a virtual table top RPG site called Roll20 but I also experienced the problem...
  10. Sometimes File Explorer Freezes When Renaming A Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Sometimes File Explorer Freezes When Renaming A Folder: Hello, I noticed on very rare occasions (only on one hard drive) that when I create a new folder, give it a name and press enter, File Explorer freezes for about 30-40 seconds until it creates that name for the folder. I've tried to rename that same exact folder right after...