Windows 10: Explorer freezes/high CPU when opening some folders, but only once

Discus and support Explorer freezes/high CPU when opening some folders, but only once in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've had this problem since I installed the Windows 10 Creators Update (but it has persisted even though I uninstalled it). Sometimes, when I open a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PeterR, Jun 2, 2017.

1. PeterR Win User

Explorer freezes/high CPU when opening some folders, but only once

I've had this problem since I installed the Windows 10 Creators Update (but it has persisted even though I uninstalled it).

Sometimes, when I open a folder in Explorer, it does not display anything inside (just white; no icons nor file names). Then the CPU usage spikes and I have to force-restart Explorer (it never actually crashes, but it also never eventually displays anything — I've waited). However, if I open the same folder again after restarting Explorer, the files and icons display fine and the problem never reoccurs in that folder. But it might occur later in another folder.

I initially suspected Mystic Thumbs, which is a little utility that creates preview icons for Adobe files (*.ai, *.psd, etc.). But now I'm not sure. I ran Process Monitor while the freeze was happening, and it showed this in the stack trace:

Explorer freezes/high CPU when opening some folders, but only once [​IMG]

Over 90% of the processor's time was spent on something related to IconCacheCreate and/or GetDpiForMonitor... but Mystic Thumbs is not specifically implicated (I actually see no entries in the entire stack related to Mystic Thumbs), so maybe it's something else. The event associated with the very bottom trace in this list is a NotifyChangeDirectory operation. I cleared the Windows icon caches, but the problem still happens. It's hard to reproduce, though, since it never seems to happen in the same folder twice (and not in 90% of folders anyway). How do I troubleshoot this?

UPDATE: I did another Process Monitor trace while I was quickly browsing through folders but where the error didn't occur. The stack trace looked much the same: about 95% of the time on the same processes. So the info I provided may be a false lead... that may just be what explorer does when you're quickly browsing through folders.

:)

PeterR, Jun 2, 2017

2. Fix internet explorer on windows 10 high cpus

I'm running windows 10 getting high Cpus with internet explorer ,tried disabling add on and it didn't help

help cant find a virus and ran systems check but still high CPUS only with internet explorer ! Stalls my computer all the way down and freezes ,the it starts and stops !

RogerDills, Jun 2, 2017
  3. Internet problems

My CPU usage does not go up more than 20%.The reason the CPU was high in the screenshot is because of Task Manager..When Task Manager is opened the CPU goes up to 80% but for 2 seconds..then it goes back to less than 20%.It is not because of the CPU,I
    am absolutely sure about that.My internet is not working as it once did.Now for example I can only have Chorme opened and play 2 YouTube videos at the same time.It shouldn't be a big deal...But it is.The videos barely load.And no,my CPU's usage is not high
    during that time.I have this problem for quite some time.

PopescuAndrei, Jun 2, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, try two basic steps. If you can find a state where this problem doesn't occur, you're part way on the journey to identifying the cause by elimination.

Do you experience this problem if you:
    1. Boot to safe mode
    2. Do a clean boot?
    3. If you don't have this problem in (1) but do in (2) try disabling all context menu or GUI additions.
    E.g. using Shellexview, ShellmenuView (free), making sure not to disable any MS extensions.

dalchina, Jun 2, 2017
Thema:

1. Explorer freezes/high CPU when opening some folders, but only once - Similar Threads - Explorer freezes high

2. When I open File Explorer, High CPU usage in Win 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I open File Explorer, High CPU usage in Win 11.: Hi friends,Every time I open a file explorer, the CPU usage increases immediately. I open the task manager and restart the windows explorer, this can temporarily force CPU works as normal. I use M/S' process explorer checked the process, it is called ntdll.dll!rtlclear...
  3. When I open File Explorer, High CPU usage in Win 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I open File Explorer, High CPU usage in Win 11.: Hi friends,Every time I open a file explorer, the CPU usage increases immediately. I open the task manager and restart the windows explorer, this can temporarily force CPU works as normal. I use M/S' process explorer checked the process, it is called ntdll.dll!rtlclear...
  4. WSAPPX clipSVC high CPU when opening a folder with Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSAPPX clipSVC high CPU when opening a folder with Windows Explorer: The title says it all. WSAPPX client license service ClipSVC runs with high CPU whenever I open a folder with a large number of photos using Windows Explorer. This causes Windows Explorer to be super slow. It can take up to 30 minutes or more for Windows Explorer to fully...
  5. WSAPPX clipSVC high CPU when opening a folder with Windows Explorer

WSAPPX clipSVC high CPU when opening a folder with Windows Explorer: The title says it all. WSAPPX client license service ClipSVC runs with high CPU whenever I open a folder with a large number of photos using Windows Explorer. This causes Windows Explorer to be super slow. It can take up to 30 minutes or more for Windows Explorer to fully...
  6. WSAPPX clipSVC high CPU when opening a folder with Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. High CPU when opening Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High CPU when opening Start Menu: Prerequisites Multi monitor setup Task bar on all displays. Display 3 is main display. IMHO this behavior exists only for a few days or weeks, but I cannot exactly tell when it started. I have the situation on two different hardware setups, Dell and HP and on a company and a...
  8. High CPU when opening Start Menu

High CPU when opening Start Menu: Prerequisites Multi monitor setup Task bar on all displays. Display 3 is main display. IMHO this behavior exists only for a few days or weeks, but I cannot exactly tell when it started. I have the situation on two different hardware setups, Dell and HP and on a company and a...
  9. High CPU when opening Start Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Windows Explorer periodic High CPU Usage when it is opened

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer periodic High CPU Usage when it is opened: Hi guys,I've been dealing with this High CPU usage, which lasts a few seconds and falls back to normal values almost immediately. I have noticed when this happens, desktop icons flashing, like it is resetting and immediately back to normal. Also, when using the Windows...