Windows 10: Explorer freezes up when clicking on files, and also not starting up when my computer boots up.

Discus and support Explorer freezes up when clicking on files, and also not starting up when my computer boots up. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Specifications: Ryzen 5 3400G 3.70 GHz RX 580 8 GB Gigabyte A320M - S2H 240 GB SSD Windows 10 20H2 This issue started happening around 2-3 days ago, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Aggravating-Text, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Explorer freezes up when clicking on files, and also not starting up when my computer boots up.

Specifications: Ryzen 5 3400G 3.70 GHz
    RX 580 8 GB
    Gigabyte A320M - S2H
    240 GB SSD
    Windows 10 20H2

This issue started happening around 2-3 days ago, I booted up my computer and for some reason explorer wouldnt start up, and not even the desktop appeared. I have to wait for either 5 minutes or even 20 minutes for it to start, in which time the process is running but nothing shows. Trying to restart it or kill it and open it again doesent work. When it finally starts ”working”, clicking on files immeidately locks up the explorer window and I have to close it.

Any ideas as to what I should do?

submitted by /u/Aggravating-Text
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Aggravating-Text, Nov 21, 2020
  2. AustinLM Win User

Clicking ANY FILE Freezes Windows Explorer

Alright, I was on the phone earlier with Windows support and they were not helpful with this, and I'm infuriated at this point so forgive me if I get mad.

Randomly, starting last night, after making no chances to my PC, clicking on any file in the File Explorer causes file explorer to freeze. Not right clicking, not opening the file, just simple, single clicking causes the whole thing to crash. I did a clean
    boot. I did the step two scan thing, I defragged the computer, etc.

What do I do? I'm basically dead in the water unless this gets fixed, and I'm god damn angry beyond the point of actual conveyance at Microsoft for the lack of help thus far.

This does not include the desktop. The desktop works fine, for whatever reason.

AustinLM, Nov 21, 2020
  3. File explorer not opening and freezing screen

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you follow these steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Check in safe mode and clean boot mode of the computer

Step 1: Check in Safe mode

Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. The words
    Safe Mode appear in the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you're using.

Refer the link below:

Start your computer in safe mode

Steps applicable to Windows 10.

You can restart the computer to put it back in
    normal mode.

If the issue doesn’t occur in safe mode, follow step 2.

Step 2: Perform Clean Boot

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a “clean boot” in Windows

Refer to Windows 8.1 steps, as they are applicable to Windows 10.

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

If this lets you log in, follow the steps below.

Method 2: Update display adapter driver.

Step 1: Check for the latest driver update through Windows Updates.

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.
    • Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select
      Install optional updates from the left results.
    • When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.
    Incompatible or not properly installed graphics card drivers are the most common cause of this issue.

Step 2: Follow the steps below to update the graphics/display drivers.

• Press Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    • Go to device manager.
    • Right-click your display device.
    • Click Update Driver Software and then follow the steps in the wizard that appears.
    Restart the computer and check.

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Thank you.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Nov 21, 2020
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Explorer freezes up when clicking on files, and also not starting up when my computer boots up.

my computer freezes up every time a click a picture in file explorer.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the miscommunication caused. Follow the steps below and check.

I suggest you to create a Windows 10 installation media and perform a Startup Repair on the device and check if it helps to resolve the issue.
    This is an alternate way to boot the device and run recovery tools when something goes wrong with the Operating system.

Please follow the steps below to do Startup repair:

Steps:-

• Insert the installation USB drive
              and boot Windows 10 from it.

If you don't have one, you can Create an installation Media.

• In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’
              and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

• Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

• Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Startup Repair’
              and select the operating system.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

Explorer freezes up when clicking on files, and also not starting up when my computer boots up.

1. Explorer freezes up when clicking on files, and also not starting up when my computer boots up. - Similar Threads - Explorer freezes clicking

2. Computer will not boot up and also black screen when turning on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer will not boot up and also black screen when turning on: So basically. 1 year ago the problem started. I turned off my computer, went to sleep and then next morning I could not turn on the computer. The lights work, fans work, but all I get is a black screen. I do not know what to do. I tried to open Bios 100x with all possible...
  3. Explorer not starting properly when computer boots up; Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer not starting properly when computer boots up; Windows 11: I have windows 11 pro version 21H2 22000.856What are the actual problems:No icons are showing on the taskbar except the 'hidden icons' icon Image below.The 'alt+tab' menu looks Windows-XP style Example video.The WIN button on the keyboard isn't working So there's no way to...
  4. Explorer not starting properly when computer boots up; Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer not starting properly when computer boots up; Windows 11: I have windows 11 pro version 21H2 22000.856What are the actual problems:No icons are showing on the taskbar except the 'hidden icons' icon Image below.The 'alt+tab' menu looks Windows-XP style Example video.The WIN button on the keyboard isn't working So there's no way to...
  5. When my computer starts up, it freezes after I click the 'File Explorer' on the taskbar.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When my computer starts up, it freezes after I click the 'File Explorer' on the taskbar.: If I open the Recycle Bin first and then open the 'File Explorer', there is no problem. Why is this the case?How can I fix the bug, thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-my-computer-starts-up-it-freezes-after-i/5be09575-ac44-45b6-ace0-5f18e5ff0e37
  6. When my computer starts up, it freezes after I click the 'File Explorer' on the taskbar.

in Windows 10 Customization
    When my computer starts up, it freezes after I click the 'File Explorer' on the taskbar.: If I open the Recycle Bin first and then open the 'File Explorer', there is no problem. Why is this the case?How can I fix the bug, thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-my-computer-starts-up-it-freezes-after-i/5be09575-ac44-45b6-ace0-5f18e5ff0e37
  7. When my computer starts up, it freezes after I click the 'File Explorer' on the taskbar.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Pop ups when starting up my computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Pop ups when starting up my computer: Whenever I start up my computer there is a small box that appears and then disappears and I don’t know how to get rid of it. Is this a virus or some type of malware? And if it is how do I get rid of it....
  9. Windows Explorer Freezes up when copying a file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer Freezes up when copying a file: Whenever I try to copy a file over from an SSD to my Hard Drive, File Explorer freezes up and restarts. The link to this video is https://streamable.com/o88gmm submitted by /u/DuxOfTech [link] [comments]...
  10. When computer boots up

in Windows 10 Support
    When computer boots up: When my computer boots up now, it is showing my email address and is asking me for my password. I don't want that because others are going to be using it here at home. I don't want any restrictions for accessing this pc. How do I get rid of the requirement to enter...