Windows 10: Explorer freezes when adjusting volume, but only when using USB hub?

Discus and support Explorer freezes when adjusting volume, but only when using USB hub? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; OS: Windows 10 Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate (MS-7850) CPU: i7 4790k (boosted to 4.4Ghz by the OC Genie in BIOS GPU: MSI R9 390 Storage: 500GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Flash414, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Flash414 Win User

Explorer freezes when adjusting volume, but only when using USB hub?

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate (MS-7850)

CPU: i7 4790k (boosted to 4.4Ghz by the OC Genie in BIOS

GPU: MSI R9 390

Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 4 TB WD Blue external

Keyboard, mouse, headphones and USB hub all connected via individual 15 ft. USB extension cables due to space constraints

PCI: a single PCI card that supplies 4 USB 3.0 ports, started acting funny yesterday, probably related

Yesterday I installed a USB 3.0 hub at the end of the 4th USB extension cable. When I connect my Logitech headphones to the USB hub it seems okay at first. Then as soon as audio is playing from any source, adjusting the volume will make explorer freeze.

Most notably, the volume overlay will freeze, refreshing the current volume level once every 5 seconds or so. Explorer in general is unavailable until it finishes adjusting the volume, which can take a couple of minutes. If I remove the USB hub from the equation, explorer acts normally. Only when the headphones are connected via USB does explorer freeze.

I have tried all the drivers, which are up to date. So is Windows, all up to date. I tried disabling the USB root hubs and re-enabling them, uninstalling the drivers for the headphones, and restarting.

This is such an oddly specific problem, but maybe someone can see what I'm missing and point me in the right direction? I appreciate you reading this.

:)

Flash414, Jan 3, 2019

2. USB HUB

Hi,

Incompatible USB hub driver is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. We recommend uninstalling the USB Root Hub driver and see if it helps. Follow the stepes below:

• Open Device Manager.
    • Double-click Universal Serial Bus controllers to expand.
    • Right-click USB Root Hub, then click Properties.
    • Go to the Driver tab.
    • Click Uninstall.
    • Restart your computer.
    Note: Restarting your computer will automatically reinstall a generic driver for your computer. Also, we suggest connecting your USB hub while performing the steps.

If the issue still persists, let's disable the USB selective suspend settings thru Power Options to resolve the issue. Follow the steps below:

• Type Power Options in the search box, then press Enter.
    • Locate USB settings > USB selective suspend settings.
    • Select Disable.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Jan 3, 2019
  3. TIGR Win User
    MTT/Multi-TT USB Hubs

Does anyone know of a list of multi-TT (as opposed to a single-transaction-translator) USB 2.0 hubs?

What about USB 3.0? I'm not sure if it is a worthy consideration with USB 3.0 or not.

TIGR, Jan 3, 2019
  4. Explorer freezes when adjusting volume, but only when using USB hub?

Volume step adjusting?

How can I change the step of the volume adjustment in windows? Now it adjusts by 2 every time I press volume up or down buttons on my keyboard (without any driver) or rotate the mouse wheel 1 step after clicking on the volume icon - I would like to change
    that value to 1, 5 or even 10, how can I do that? is there a key in the registry to do it?

David123David, Jan 3, 2019
Thema:

Explorer freezes when adjusting volume, but only when using USB hub?

1. Explorer freezes when adjusting volume, but only when using USB hub? - Similar Threads - Explorer freezes adjusting

2. Mouse intermittently freezes when connecting via KVM or USB Hub

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse intermittently freezes when connecting via KVM or USB Hub: Hi All, I am having an issue with my mouse on Windows 10. I have a razor Death Addor and the Black Widow keyboard. WFH now I bought a KVM to switch between my work laptop and Gaming PC. Only as soon as the mouse is connected to a USB hub or KVM I intermittently have it lock...
  3. Mouse intermittently freezes when connecting via KVM or USB Hub

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse intermittently freezes when connecting via KVM or USB Hub: Hi All, I am having an issue with my mouse on Windows 10. I have a razor Death Addor and the Black Widow keyboard. WFH now I bought a KVM to switch between my work laptop and Gaming PC. Only as soon as the mouse is connected to a USB hub or KVM I intermittently have it lock...
  4. Mouse intermittently freezes when connecting via KVM or USB Hub

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. how to use a usb c cable as only a usb hub and not display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to use a usb c cable as only a usb hub and not display: I am on windows 11, I use a Lenovo laptop and a Dell monitor, my monitor has a USB hub on it, so I have a type c cable running from my monitor to my laptop, but the problem is my laptop has a dedicated GPU that is only accessible through the HDMI port and type c only uses the...
  6. USB 3 devices used to work fine, now only work when attached to USB 2 HUB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3 devices used to work fine, now only work when attached to USB 2 HUB: I have a Dell laptop with which I used to use several USB 3 devices for 2+ years. Now they only work when connected via a USB 2 hub. The devices are an XQD card reader and an external hard drive and both work when attached to USB 3 ports on my desktop computer.Because they...
  7. Missing Icons when Adjusting Volume

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing Icons when Adjusting Volume: Hello Microsoft Community. Maybe there is a solution that I have not found but when I adjust my volume there is no buttons, but a square there instead. SCREENSHOT BELOW...
  8. Screen goes black when adjusting volume

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screen goes black when adjusting volume: So this recently started happening to me, where when I go to adjust the volume during a game it goes black for a second when the volume bar appears then after it dissappears it goes black again. I think it started happening after the recent Windows update. Does anyone else...
  9. Screen goes black when adjusting volume

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screen goes black when adjusting volume: So this recently started happening to me, where when I go to adjust the volume during a game it goes black for a second when the volume bar appears then after it dissappears it goes black again. I think it started happening after the recent Windows update. Does anyone else...
  10. used Spro1 - usb drives only work when in a usb hub?

in Windows 10 Support
    used Spro1 - usb drives only work when in a usb hub?: i received the surface pro 1 today, but there is a strange problem with it. USB drives are not recognised when directly connected to spro1 like they should be. They are not visible in file explorer, device manager or disk management. only when put through a non-powered USB...