Windows 10: Explorer freezes when launching .exe installer file.

Discus and support Explorer freezes when launching .exe installer file. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, This is a non existential issue but a really boring one. Whenever I try to launch an .exe INSTALLER application, wherever I launched it from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PownerTech, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Explorer freezes when launching .exe installer file.

Hello,

This is a non existential issue but a really boring one.
    Whenever I try to launch an .exe INSTALLER application, wherever I launched it from freezes for around 5 minutes or more before launching the installer.

For exemple when I download a random installer, let's say Firefox. When I proceed to launch it from my "Downloads" folder that specific window will freeze and become unresponsive for 5 minutes, then the installer will launch. Also happens on the desktop.

I can reboot explorer.exe from the Task Manager and it will work fine after, but the installer will still launch with that ~5 minutes delay. If I try launching it again it will freeze.

What I tried so far :

I'm not an expert but I didn't see anything suspicious inside my Task Manager when launching the file. I also scanned my computer using ADWCleaner, MalwareBytes and RogueKiller.
    I did a chkdsk upon reboot and I felt I had a success but I will elaborate further down.

I tried using a third party file manager "Total Commander" to launch the .exe, it freezes the program.

If I launch the .exe from the browser itself when it's finished downloading it will freeze the browser. Tried on Chrome and Firefox.

What felt like a success :

When I launched the .exe right after doing my chkdsk it felt like a success because it launched right away, but that was a short lived fix.
    Trying again and the problem was back, so I guess that when I launch an .exe installer in the 30s after boot the issue is not present.

What works :

When I boot in safe mode the issue is not present and installers starts right away.

When I launch the .exe file through the command prompt it starts right away.

Some clarifications :

My computer is a powerfull gaming PC (i7 6700k, 16Gb DDR4).
    Windows is installed on an SSD.

I do not really know when the issue appeared for the first time, it may have appeared a while ago since I don't install programs that often.

If any of you have already encountered the same issue, or if you have any hints or questions feel free to ask.

Thank you.

:)

PownerTech, Jul 2, 2019

2. How to locate an EXE file that I have just installed?

I respectfully suggest that you might be treating the zipped EXE file as if it were a file that does not actually need to be installed. Double-clicking such a file causes the prog to be launched immediately. An example of a non-installable EXE file would be some of the SysInternal files, such as ProcMon and Autoruns.

The file that you quoted, oldcalcwin10.zip, is the same file as in my other post. Double-clicking on that file launches an install dialog. At no time does the calculator itself appear. To launch the calculator, I needed to click on SYSTEM32\calc1.exe

Summarizing:

- Double-clicking an installable EXE file launches the installer.
    - Double-clicking a non-installable EXE file launches the program itself.

Note that I have already created a shortcut to calc1.exe on my desktop. "If it works, don't break it!" Therefore, no other helpful suggestions are needed *Smile

Thanks to all the generous volunteers for their responses.

OldGrantonian, Jul 2, 2019
  3. .exe files

Hi,

The file extension .exe is an executable file format in Windows operating system. To better understand your concern, we’d like to request for an elaborate detail for us to determine what causes this file not to open by answering these questions:

• Resetting Windows 10 is a last resort of troubleshooting. Are you experiencing other issues on your computer?
    • What is the program are you trying to launch?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Did you receive any error message when you launch this application?

We’re looking forward to your response.

Johann Eva, Jul 2, 2019
  4. Explorer freezes when launching .exe installer file.

Can't launch file explorer following update to Windows 10

I started with the steps recommended by Kapil Arya. Part way through I switched to your suggestions and the File Explorer launched following a reboot following step3.

ShockwaveFlash, Jul 2, 2019
Thema:

Explorer freezes when launching .exe installer file.

1. Explorer freezes when launching .exe installer file. - Similar Threads - Explorer freezes launching

2. File explorer keeps freezing every time I run an .exe File

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File explorer keeps freezing every time I run an .exe File: for some reason every time I try and install an exe like DiscordSetup.exe or any other exe. My file explorer will freeze for ever and I cant exit out of it and it opens windows dialog and I cant close that either and then later on it will open up the exe in like 5-10 minutes...
  3. File explorer keeps freezing every time I run an .exe File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer keeps freezing every time I run an .exe File: for some reason every time I try and install an exe like DiscordSetup.exe or any other exe. My file explorer will freeze for ever and I cant exit out of it and it opens windows dialog and I cant close that either and then later on it will open up the exe in like 5-10 minutes...
  4. File explorer keeps freezing every time I run an .exe File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows File Explorer freezes when moving files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer freezes when moving files: Hi, Windows File Explorer keeps freezing when I try moving files out of a folder. The Mouse with the file which is beeing dragged stops right at the corner of the Explorer window and the File Explorer gets overlayed grey program has stopped working for a few seconds up to...
  6. Eclipse Installer and some other Exe Files won't launch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Eclipse Installer and some other Exe Files won't launch: Hello everyone. I really require your assistance. My problem is that certain exe files, for example Eclipse installer, or Zoom, simply won't launch. By that I mean, there is no error code, nothing. It buffers for one second then nothing launches. I have tried everything, even...
  7. File explorer freezes when clicking on an mp4 file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer freezes when clicking on an mp4 file: I was trying to open an mp4 file and when I clicked on it my file explorer freezed. I tried yo follow some solutions and it turns out I also cant run the trouble shooter. when I try to open it I get this error: windows cannot access the specified device or file for MSDT.exe....
  8. Opening .exe file launches microsoft store

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Opening .exe file launches microsoft store: Hi! I was trying to install java last night and after i downloaded the installer and double-clicked on it, the microsoft store opened. And the same happened when i tried to run it as administrator. I was looking for fixes for hours, but nothing i found helped. I checked the...
  9. Sound problem when launching from .exe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound problem when launching from .exe: I have a problem with this program (a game), which for some off reason, does not launch with sound enabled. However, when I launch it through another program such as GeForce experience, or Raptr, the sound works one time and then refuses to work again after launching for a...
  10. Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file: I have a folder full of *.exe files. When I navigate to the folder to read its content (files listed in "tile" mode), Explorer hangs for a minute or two displaying in the title bar "not responding". Eventually, the files are displayed but it is a bit of a pain. I modified...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. get message Windows Installer and freezes when launching file exporere

2. file explorer hangs when trying to install exe

3. executable file freezes file explorer

4. windows 10 freezes when lanuching an app or an installer or task manager,
  5. file manager freezes when running an exe